+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Maximize Your Folder Limits With Infinifolders

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Giveaway] Maximize Your Folder Limits With Infinifolders

Another blast from the past!

Infinifolders is an awesome tweak that allows you to extend the amount of apps that you can cram into an iOS folder. Originally, iOS users are locked down to 12 apps per folder by the stock installation. Infinifolders allows you to break that barrier and have as many apps in a folder as you like. You will be able to scroll through the folder as if you were scrolling through a Web Page.

Infinifolders is an invention by Grant Paul, better known as @chpwn. It's not a new tweak by any means, but it has been fully updated to support iOS 5. It's an important tweak and well-appreciated by many jailbreakers. As it removes the limit of folder capacity, people who download more than 12 games and like to stay organized will appreciate being able to put all of their games in a single games folder instead of having to create a second folder to put them in. This causes confusion or just annoyance depending on just how easily your senses are set off. To me, it's really annoying having to create a second folder to hold more apps of the same category of a folder that I already made just because of a 12-app limit.

Infinifolders has a few nifty settings that you can fool around with:

You can enable vertical scrolling which gives you the experience of being able to scroll through your apps in the folder as if you were scrolling through a Web Page in Safari. You just flick your finger and your apps will scroll through. The scrolling bounce is a GPU setting that lets you have the kinetic bounce when you get to the end of your apps in a folder. Notice how when you scroll to the end of a Web Page in Safari, it doesn't just dead-stop. It actually keeps going and then bounces back to the end of the Web Page. This is what this setting imitates when you are scrolling through your folders. You also have the option to change your scrollbar. If you're not fond of the scrollbar that iOS comes with, you can change it to something that better suits your needs. And of course vertical paging. What this means is that when you're scrolling up or down, it will page similarly to how you scroll through pages on your springboard. This means no kinetic bounce you will just go from 'page' to 'page' of apps in your folder as you scroll through them. Other than that, the tweak is really simple and brings convenience to those who have more than 12 of one app category on their iDevice.

After talking with chpwn I was able to learn a little bit about his motivation behind the tweak; also a little bit about him as a developer.

Anthony: In about paragraph, tell us a little about yourself and what got you started in iOS development.
    Grant: I began iOS development about two years ago, working with Ryan Petrich (@rpetrich) on ProSwitcher for iOS I like how webOS works, so I wanted to bring that to iOS users. Since then, I've worked on everything from the major Cydia 1.1 update earlier this year to the tweaks I described above. I've also designed the (pretty, I hope!) interfaces for a bunch of the more recent jailbreaks, like greenpois0n, Spirit, and helped out with the JailbreakMe website.

Anthony: What gave you the idea to make this tweak and what was some of the motivation behind it?
    Grant: Only being allowed 12 icons in a folder is an awful restriction. Who wants to be limited to only 12 games, or news apps? This was such a horrible restriction, my first goal after iOS 4 was to find a way to remove it, but make sure that Folders would still keep the kind of simplicity that Apple put in them. To me, the best way to do this was to simply make the folders scroll vertically, something so obviously useful I'm still not sure why it's not included by default. But, it's not, and so I keep on making Infinifolders to turn Folders into something useful rather than a collection of "Games 1", "Games 2", and "Games 3" folders.

Anthony: What other tweaks have you worked on?
    Grant: I've worked on a bunch of other tweaks, both free ones and paid ones. For the Cydia Store, I have Infinidock and Infiniboard, which along with Infinifolders, make up the three "Infiniapps". Then, I have the icon layout tweak Gridlock (to let you place your icons anywhere), and VoiceActivator, which lets you modify Voice Control and create custom commands. For free, I have a bunch more: Appslide (iOS 4 only) adds a hardware "back" button to iOS to switch between apps, Covert added private browsing before it was included in iOS 5, MobileVolumeSound adds the nice "bloop" sound from Mac OS X to your iOS device, and more. If you want a full list, just type "chpwn" into the search field in Cydia.

Anthony: Did you end up dropping support for iOS 3 and below?
    Grant: To make my code much easier to maintain, and since almost everyone is already past iOS 3, I am slowly going though and removing iOS 3 support as I update my apps.

The Giveaway!

Chpwn was generous enough to offer 14 giveaway copies of Infinifolders. Here's how to win:

Follow me @Geop0x
    Follow ModMyi @modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @Geop0x so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified. The tweet must include the following text, "Win a copy of Infinifolders."

Winners will be announced on late Sunday, November 5.

Good luck to all of you! If you like Infinifolders, leave a comment telling us why with your Twitter handle included in the comments to improve your chances of winning!

Thanks

I like infinidock the best.. Folder enhancer does it for me. I wouldn't mind a copy though!

Mmaboi21

iPhone? More like MyPhone andrewb283's Avatar
    Thanks

How about the first five to comment are the winners of the contest?

Thanks

Just bought FolderEnhancer yesterday because Infinifolders wasn't working... Lol

Great work though man! I bought Infinifolders way back and loved it. But I'm really digging FolderEnhancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Seriously need to throw that iPod on a charger though!

Errrr wait.... Looks like you just did.... Lol
    Last edited by Turnamental; 11-05-2011 at 10:31 PM.
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay what is my Cydia number or where do I find that? And why is that part not mentioned in the main article?

Thanks

Here's how to find your Cydia account number:
    1. Open Cydia
    2. On the main page, tap on 'Manage Account'
    3. Enter infoz, hit enter
    4. Your account number is displayed in a small font below 'I'm anticipating...'

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

i. cannot. live. without this. so so thankful. will buy for sure.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd love to have this because I have to make separate folders for apps of the same kind. Although organized, I'd feel a lot better if I have this app to minimize the amount of pages. Infinifolders is an essential for any jailbreaker because it makes your phone a lot more efficient. @DayumQuitPlayin

Thanks

It makes iPhone to be a better iPhone.https://twitter.com/#!/Commandor

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

folder enhancer is so much better than this. and if folderenhancer isn't your cuppa tea, get scrolling board, it's got a scrolling dock and folders. lol I'm like a sales agent but seriously, there's better options than infinifolders out there

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

what would make this tweak more awesome is if it had the dots down the right side if you put your apps in alphabetical order like i do then you slide your finger down the side to jump the list... like the ipod nano does... cant remember if the iphone has that too

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great app! :-) this is my tweet: https://twitter.com/#!/mrtax2005/sta...14707602190338 :-)
    Last edited by MrTax; 11-06-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks

I wonder how many people are harvesting people's cydia numbers? And who will be the first to make malicious use of them?Asking people to tweet personal information is surely a security risk, however slight, andi am surprised that MMi encourages it.@EddieLeonard - you mean as in the list down the side of ListLauncher? If you have a suggestion just email chpwn, he is always after ideas.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I never win anything but will probably buy anyway. It was just yesterday that I noticed this 12 app folder limit. Still fun to try anyway so I'll hold off buying just in case I do get lucky

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I wonder how many people are harvesting people's cydia numbers? And who will be the first to make malicious use of them?Asking people to tweet personal information is surely a security risk, however slight, andi am surprised that MMi encourages it.@EddieLeonard - you mean as in the list down the side of ListLauncher? If you have a suggestion just email chpwn, he is always after ideas.
    It's not much of a security risk. All I see is the ability to gift apps.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-06-2011 at 10:12 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone expl0itfinder's Avatar
    Thanks

Wooooooooo! Ive been waiting for this!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLeonard View Post
    what would make this tweak more awesome is if it had the dots down the right side if you put your apps in alphabetical order like i do then you slide your finger down the side to jump the list... like the ipod nano does... cant remember if the iphone has that too
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    folder enhancer is so much better than this. and if folderenhancer isn't your cuppa tea, get scrolling board, it's got a scrolling dock and folders. lol I'm like a sales agent but seriously, there's better options than infinifolders out there
    +1
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

iPhone? More like MyPhone GrandMasterB's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't possibly understand why any of you guys would go out of your way to complain about an app that was just updated to better serve us as a community? Chpwn was nice enough to give away 14 copies and yet you can do nothing but complain rather than commend his efforts?Did you ever stop to think that the more talented developers we have working for us the better and more abundant tweaks/apps we will have as a community and that betters each and every one of our devices rather you find this particular app useful or not? Support these developers so in return they will continue to support us!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It's not much of a security risk. All I see is the ability to gift apps.
    Just confirmed with chpwn that I am being overly cautious - I guess it comes of talking to too many security consultants. just ignore me...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a greenposi0n jb ip4 ... Have had infini dock and folders since the day I jb it!!! Love it!!!