Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S Users Now Experiencing Audio Issues

Thanks

Default iPhone 4S Users Now Experiencing Audio Issues

The battery woes and random Siri outages aren’t the only issues that iPhone 4S users seem to be experiencing. Over the course of this past week, there has been a growing number of complaints in Apple’s support forums regarding problems with echoes on the iPhone 4S when used with a headset, all of which typically end up degrading over the duration with the conversation.

One of the many threads on the issue has reached 17 pages of posts with a number of users reporting the same issue on a variety of different phone models and carriers. Here is what one of the thread users had to say:

When using the Apple hands free headset with the phone during a call, I get an echo problem. It does not occur immediately. It can very from 30 seconds into a call and as far up to 9 mins in before it begins the annoying echo. If I unplug the headset it goes away but will return when I plug the headset back in. I have tried 3 brand new iphone 4s headsets with the same problems. So far I have tried rebooting, and also restored phone back to factory original settings as a new phone and still no resolution. I have been told by the other person on the line a screech sound is made then the echo begins.
    Many users have had success fixing this issue by toggling the speakerphone option on and off when the echo begins. I have had first had experience with this method and it has worked for me in the past. Sometimes the echo comes back periodically at which point, I repeat the procedure to resolve it again. It is quite tedious sometimes but it beats the whole process of hanging up and re-calling.

There also seems to be another issue regarding static on iPhone 4S calls which are being document in a separate thread on the Apple support forums. The issue seems to be affecting both incoming and outgoing calls. Some users have even reported the issue occurring on multiple handsets as they have exchanged devices at the Apple retail stores in an attempt to address the problem.

If this wasn’t enough already, there seems to be a third audio related issue being tracked in a lengthy 27 page thread involving users experiencing no audio on a subset of outgoing phone calls. Below is a post from the thread describing a users’ experience with the issue:

Picked up a Verizon iPhone 4S - 32GB and on about 1 in 10 calls I get no outbound audio when dialing. Call shows the timer counting as if the call is progressing but absolutely no ring back and cannot hear the party on the other end when they answer.
    Similar to the temporary method of resolving the echo issue, some users reported that toggling the speakerphone option may fix the lack of audio on a given call, while others have claimed that this technique doesn’t always work. As of right now, Apple support staff has been unable or unwilling to specifically diagnose the issue as either a hardware or software problem. Furthermore, users who have tested the iOS 5.0.1 beta 1 and beta 2 have mentioned that the beta firmware does not fix the issue.

Have you experienced any audio related issues? If so, did toggling the speakerphone option work for you? Share any experiences and thoughts below!

Source: Apple Support Forums (1) (2) (3)

As much as I love my iPhone 4 with the attenna problem, I do wish that the iPhone 4S will be capable of fixing the issue if it is software, I'll even be more happy for a future upgrade with it. Avoiding being the bait from beta testers of 4g network is a smart outlook on things, but being the first true world phone surely does bite back at Apple. Hopefully it's not a hardware issue like my 4. Best be with Apple's immediate response to update and fix problems than to be with countless-pointless names with Androids that don't get things done.

Default NOT the 1st world phone
    Quote Originally Posted by takenlife View Post
    As much as I love my iPhone 4 with the attenna problem, I do wish that the iPhone 4S will be capable of fixing the issue if it is software, I'll even be more happy for a future upgrade with it. Avoiding being the bait from beta testers of 4g network is a smart outlook on things, but being the first true world phone surely does bite back at Apple. Hopefully it's not a hardware issue like my 4. Best be with Apple's immediate response to update and fix problems than to be with countless-pointless names with Androids that don't get things done.
    I love my 4S but in no way is it the 1st true world phone. CDMA/GSM quad band all in one phones have been around for a LONG time: Blacberry, Motorola, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tomjtx View Post
    I love my 4S but in no way is it the 1st true world phone. CDMA/GSM quad band all in one phones have been around for a LONG time: Blacberry, Motorola, etc.
    yeap agree... calling iPhone 1st true world phone is too much but cant believe Apple still have issues on iP4S... i really hope the next iPhone works flawlessly... atleast by 90% ... sigh! guess its right for me to wait before buying it ...

This is why I never buy the newest next greatest thing. I'll wait all this issues out..
    Jailbroken 4 is just fine

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d_animality View Post
    i really hope the next iPhone works flawlessly
    Pft, that would be there downfall. A truly 100% perfect product.
    To Themers: STOP ABANDONING CYDIA FOR THEMEIT, YOU ARE LOSING FANS/SALES!

I have sprint, I had the issue last week. If someone from AT&T was trying to call me, they won't get the dial tone and as soon as I pick up the call I will get the Eco.
    I did not had the problem with other carrier users!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d_animality View Post
    yeap agree... calling iPhone 1st true world phone is too much but cant believe Apple still have issues on iP4S... i really hope the next iPhone works flawlessly... atleast by 90% ... sigh! guess its right for me to wait before buying it ...
    Despite Apple thinking they're Gods, the truth is they are very much still humans so there's always going to be errors somewhere down the line. That's with anything regardless of whether you wait or not for the "bugs" to be ironed out.

I have the static issue. Although some users in that thread said they have it very loud, mine is soft. It usually is around for the first few seconds of a call, like when it is ringing but it is not on every call. And just yesterday I had it creep up in the middle of a call for 5-10 seconds the go away. The best way I can describe mine, and I know it sounds weird but if you have ever put in earwax drops into your ear. You get that faint fizzing sounds. That's exactly what my audio issue sounds like

-Luke

Also forgot to mention, one user captured an audio recording of his and it is identical to the sound issue on my phone. The recording is on one of the last pages.

-Luke

You think all of you would've learned this lesson b4 tsk tsk tsk.

Maybe Tim Cook could take a page out of Steve's book and say there is nothing wrong with the phone. We are all listening wrong. All kidding aside they will claim that a software fix will solve the problem. They won't recall millions of phones because of a hardware problem if that proves to be the case and somehow we will all be fine with it. Just like the antenna problem that I finally just learned to deal with as I routinely drop 4 to 5 calls a day. And don't tell me it's AT$T. My kids cheaper phones, I don't think have ever dropped a call. It will be interesting to see how they spin this one.

I thought the echo might be due to the two microphones to cancel out noise or something like that, but I'm glad to know it isn't just me.
    I never heard of the speakerphone toggle I must try it.

solution has been found! you must ask siri to fix your phone ASAP Siri will reply with the song "Mr Fix It" after completing the song your iPhone will be good as new!

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    I have the static issue. Although some users in that thread said they have it very loud, mine is soft. It usually is around for the first few seconds of a call, like when it is ringing but it is not on every call. And just yesterday I had it creep up in the middle of a call for 5-10 seconds the go away. The best way I can describe mine, and I know it sounds weird but if you have ever put in earwax drops into your ear. You get that faint fizzing sounds. That's exactly what my audio issue sounds like
    That's the same issue I'm having as well. I've tried a full restore, turning on/off various settings, upgrading to 5.0.1 beta 1/2, changed my SIM card. I also got a replacement phone from Apple, and it has the same static issue.

I've tracked the issue to using 3G voice/data. For example, if you turn off wifi, and start watching a youtube video, the same static noise occurs (though you wouldn't normally have the phone against your ear while watching a youtube video, this happens with Skype over 3G)

Quote Originally Posted by rlowride View Post
    This is why I never buy the newest next greatest thing. I'll wait all this issues out..
    Jailbroken 4 is just fine
    http://modmyi.com/images/smilies/frown.gif this is also why i have not upgraded to the 4s my jb 4 is just fine till the ip5 comes out next year maybe by then all bugs will be worked out along with a jailbreak.

http: //modmyi.com/images/smilies/frown.gif this is also why i have not upgraded to the 4s my jb 4 is just fine till the ip5 comes out next year maybe by then all bugs will be worked out along with a jailbreak

completely ****ing incredible that people buy a $600 phone from a smarmy, elitist company and they have to deal with the most error-prone phone on the market.what **** company putting out **** products. i can't believe how the fanbois defend them. what a bunch of zombies.

yeah my mom had to return her 4S a week after getting it because of not being able to hear anything on outgoing calls.. my brother hasn't had any problems with his, and I'm still on the 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iZangetsu View Post
    You think all of you would've learned this lesson b4 tsk tsk tsk.
    Lol
    This made me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by epignosis567 View Post
    completely ****ing incredible that people buy a $600 phone from a smarmy, elitist company and they have to deal with the most error-prone phone on the market.what **** company putting out **** products. i can't believe how the fanbois defend them. what a bunch of zombies.
    I wouldn't call us "zombies"... Not sure who's defending apple either...

Also the phone is 199' not $600(unless your paying full price for the unlocked/No Contract)
    Which is pretty steep IMO but people like what they like. If you don't like the iphone.. kudos
    If you do... then kudos... that simple bro.
    Last edited by mmaboi21; 11-05-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by epignosis567 View Post
    It's funny how your message makes you seem smarmy and elitist.

I have two issues: First I experienced the echo thing yesterday, the first time I made a call with the headphones, it was subtle but still pretty annoying. Secondly, every single time I have an alert or SMS, the tone plays twice, back to back. But the first time the tone plays, it doesn't even play all the way through, it stutters, then plays through the second time. Let's say the tone is normally a 1-2-3 sound, mine does something like 1-2-1-2-3 and it sounds like I'm receiving a bunch of texts at the same time. On and I'm on ATT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast