+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: U.S. Cellular Claims Apple's Terms Too Steep, Turns Down iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
U.S. Cellular turned down an offer from Apple to carry the iPhone because the proposed terms were “unnacceptable” according to a report by Fierce Wireless. U.S. Cellular turned down Apple's
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default U.S. Cellular Claims Apple's Terms Too Steep, Turns Down iPhone

U.S. Cellular turned down an offer from Apple to carry the iPhone because the proposed terms were “unnacceptable” according to a report by Fierce Wireless.

U.S. Cellular turned down Apple's iPhone because it did not make sense for the company economically, CEO Mary Dillon said on the company's third-quarter earnings conference call.

Dillon said that the carrier had the opportunity to sell the iPhone but that Apple's "terms were unacceptable from a risk and profitability standpoint." Dillon added that the potential strain on the company's network was not a factor in the decision, and that U.S. Cellular remains open to carrying the iPhone in the future. — Fierce Wireless
    Dillon's comments during the earnings call make U.S. Cellular the second carrier to drop or decide not to carry the iPhone due to Apple’s business terms (a Czech carrier cited similar reasons earlier this week). However, it seems odd that U.S. Cellular wouldn’t be able to pony up the cash to carry the iPhone, especially if the substantially smaller regional carrier C Spire can afford Apple’s terms. U.S. Cellular is the sixth largest carrier in the U.S. with 6 million subscribers. News of C Spire’s deal and U.S. Cellular turning down another indicate Apple is reaching out to “Super-Regional” carriers in an effort to reach as many U.S. mobile subscribers as possible.

At least T-Mobile has a friend to keep them company while watching the iPhone money train leave the station now. But, Apple actually offered to buy U.S. Cellular a ticket aboard the iPhone Money Express. Perhaps they should be commended for standing up to Apple’s ludicrous demands. Or maybe they’ll be rewarded with more defecting customers as they switch to carriers that carry the iPhone.

Source: Fierce Wireless
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-04-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Too bad, really. US Cellular has the best overall coverage in the Midwest. None of the other carriers can hold a candle to their coverage in my experience. I am not sure that the company really NEEDS the iPhone anyway. Everyone that goes with them does so because they know the coverage can't be beat. They also have the best early upgrades that I can think of. I am sure they are looking out for their customers in the end. If they took Apple's deal I am sure they'd have to slash their offerings much like any other US carrier that has gotten the iPhone already has done.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I suspect that in the end US Cellular will regret it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

crapple need to rethink,again...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have never even heard of US Cellular....

Green Apple
    Thanks

I did a 3G test with a co-workers Samsung S phone on US Cell and it was about 300k LOL

Thanks

Us cellular is region specific and roams off a lot of major carriers towers. They didn't take the iPhone cause they can't afford too. They barely have the android. They were in competition with alltel back in the day but now Vzw is the top competitor , us cellular struggles to stay alive with their mediocre "easy upgrade" option. Can't really upgrade when there's nothing to upgrade too. If us cellular did take apple up on their deal, they would be sitting where Sprint is sitting right now. With a big **** eating grin that they now offer iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Too bad, really. US Cellular has the best overall coverage in the Midwest. None of the other carriers can hold a candle to their coverage in my experience. I am not sure that the company really NEEDS the iPhone anyway. Everyone that goes with them does so because they know the coverage can't be beat. They also have the best early upgrades that I can think of. I am sure they are looking out for their customers in the end. If they took Apple's deal I am sure they'd have to slash their offerings much like any other US carrier that has gotten the iPhone already has done.
    I live in and travel all over the midwest.. US Cellular works in less then half the areas my Verizon phone works in.. not to mention there 3g is virtually non existant in IL, IN, and MI. the early upgrades i agree with.. but thats about it... a company that doesnt have a good data network shouldnt have a device like the Iphone....