+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Hands-Free Control: Control Siri/Voice Control Without Using Your Hands

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Remember how you used to have to hold down the home button to activate voice control or Siri? Brock Haymond is the developer behind this awesome new Cydia tweak called
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Giveaway] Hands-Free Control: Control Siri/Voice Control Without Using Your Hands

Remember how you used to have to hold down the home button to activate voice control or Siri?

Brock Haymond is the developer behind this awesome new Cydia tweak called Hands-Free Control. It allows you to activate voice control or Siri using your voice instead of having hold down the dreaded home button. Once installed, the tweak allows you so say, "Siri." No matter what device you are on (voice control device, or Siri device), saying, "Siri" will activate voice control or Siri. Currently there is no jailbreak for the iPhone 4S yet, but this works on the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, also the iPod touch 3G and 4G. There are some settings to configure in this app that will help you control how easily it is activated. The settings not only allow you to control how easily you activate the feature, but they allow you to control system sounds and vibrations (which are invoked when you start voice control/Siri). When the iPhone 4S comes out with a jailbreak, the developer, Brock Haymond, says that this tweak will work for the iPhone 4S automatically as Siri uses some of the same resources as voice control. So once there is a jailbreak for the iPhone 4S you can install this from Cydia and you're good to go. How does it work? The image below shows the app's built-in instructions:

Let's look at some of the settings:

Some of you will probably be worried that this tweak, since it's always in the background listening, might inadvertently pick up commands from the background from words that sound like Siri. Words such as sickly, city, sticky, see, sea, etc. might trick the system into opening voice control or Siri. Because of this, the settings allow you to control how strict or how loose the verification system is. Putting the setting on 'very loose' would mean that it is very easy to accidentally open voice control/Siri, while putting the setting on 'strict' would cause the system to be very picky about how you say what you say. Strict is the setting I prefer because it has the least amount of chance of accidentally misconstruing something that I say. I would recommend strict for when you are in a very quiet place like a classroom because if someone says something that sounds like, "Siri" then you will hear the ping noise along with any commands that it picks up. This can be embarrassing, or worse, get you into trouble. As shown in the left image, you can toggle this feature on or off whenever you think you might use it. So you don't have to worry about it always running. However, when it is running you will notice a battery percentage drop. This is because Hands-Free Control always working in the background listening for your voice. But, like I said, you can disable it on demand. So if you need your battery you can toggle it off for a while.

Voice activation for Siri is something that a handful of people were asking for on the day of the iPhone 4S launch when they saw how Siri worked. Once the jailbreak comes out for the iPhone 4S you can have this awesome feature. But for now, you can try it out using the iPhone 4's voice control (or any other device that uses it). Hands-Free Control is a tweak that can be downloaded from the BigBoss repo of Cydia for $1.99 (introductory price) it will go up later on. This doesn't install Siri on your iDevice, all it does is allow you to say, "Siri" to activate Siri on an iPhone 4S or voice control on the other devices. You can watch a video demo and read more about Hands-Free Control on the official website: HandsFreeControl.

In an email interview with Brock Haymond, I asked a few questions about this tweak and Brock himself:

Anthony: In about a paragraph, would you like to introduce yourself to Modmyi?
    Brock: As for myself, I am newly married (as of August!) and a college student at Brigham Young University. I enjoy everything Information Technology and just participated in running my first marathon in June. I enjoy programming, but mostly on a need-by-need basis. I mainly want to contribute to the world around us. I want to help usher in the future and the possibilities technology provides us.

Anthony: What gave you the idea for this tweak?
    Brock: I got the idea for the tweak while watching the Apple event the Tuesday before Steve Jobs died. As soon as I saw Siri and watched them demonstrate using it, I started wondering why he kept hitting the button. If everything is all about using your voice, needing to press the button repeatedly is ironic. I actually got online the next day and sent a feature request into Apple (which they never responded to). This is what I sent them:

"Apple,

Upon viewing this week's event and seeing Siri I immediately thought of a suggestion I wanted to pass along, so please pass this along to those who can do something about it!

The main reason I don't use voice activation right now is having to press the home button for 3 seconds. There has to be a way for Apple to leave the microphone on in a low-power standby mode waiting to hear me say "Siri" at any time, at which point the phone can respond "Yes?" I can then speak whatever I wanted it to do for me. I want to be able to activate Siri by saying "Siri"!

Please pass this idea to those who can make a difference, and lets make the world a better place together!

Steve will be sincerely missed, the greatest Gutenberg of our time.

Sincerely,
    Brock Haymond"

It is funny looking back at what I sent to Apple, as this is exactly what I created. I quickly found I was not the only one who had this idea: Apple Discussions Forum. I realized that Apple might take some time to get around to this, if ever. They might not even believe it was possible with battery considerations. If something needed to be done I was going to need to do it! So I set out on my journey to learn the jailbreak world.

Anthony: What else have you made and/or plan to make in the future?
    Brock: I had previously been just an Apple App Store developer with several apps:

Tap-A-Lap
    Tap-A-Lap Free
    Music Tempo
    FTP Browser

Most of these apps were driven out of need, as I simply couldn't find the app I wanted on the App Store. So I made one. I am a runner and ballroom dancer, and created the first three out of need. I created the last out of a school project. The problem is the jailbreak world is quite a bit different from the App Store world, and it took me a little while to catch on.

I persisted and was able to create the product I was desiring with the performance, battery life, and accuracy I knew would be needed. I am still working on improving HFC and hope I can continue to work out bugs, extend battery life, and make it as cross-iOS platform compatible as possible.

The Giveaway.

Brock Haymond was generous enough to give away 5 copies of Hands-Free Control. Here's how to win:

Follow me @Geop0x
    Follow ModMyi @modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet – if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @Geop0x so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified.

Winners will be announced on Friday, November 4.

Good luck to all of you! If you like Hands-Free Control, leave a comment telling us why with your Twitter handle included in the comments to improve your chances of winning!

Sources: Brock Haymond
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That is so freaking awesome! Idk why Apple didn't try to accomplish this at first anyway. Having to push a button seemed kind of redundant.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really really really would love to have this app!! I think its great!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Battery life?!?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

excellent question...running in the background picking up sound, I would think would eat through the life of the battery pretty quickly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Omg! Finally! This will be very usefull! Tired of holding the home button just to siri pop up! Veryy good tweak! +1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rytchy View Post
    excellent question...running in the background picking up sound, I would think would eat through the life of the battery pretty quickly.
    Yes, I mentioned in the article that it will impact the battery slightly. Using it constantly, you could see about a 7% drop per hour. (Which isn't too bad, that's still around 10-11 hours of use).

Thanks

Why do all givaways now involve following people on either Twitter or FaceBook?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Now you just need to have it run without voice control screen popping up so you can still function the device and say the command aswell, would be awesome.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This seems like it would be a battery drain, unless I am simply not understanding how this works. Wouldn't the phone have th be constantly spending resources (power) "listening" for the word "siri" to be spoken?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Why do all givaways now involve following people on either Twitter or FaceBook?
    Because it makes it easy for me to count the winners, grab their Cydia numbers, and notify the winners.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This seems like it would be a battery drain, unless I am simply not understanding how this works. Wouldn't the phone have th be constantly spending resources (power) "listening" for the word "siri" to be spoken?
    The battery drain isn't that bad. I charged my iPhone an hour ago, and haven't used it. It's still in standby mode with 100% battery.

Thanks

I discourage people from following me and don't follow anyone I don't need too.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

I like!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Definitely very cool. @caliamchef

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default How is this possible.
    How can we get our Cydia number when there is no jailbreak for the 4S, which is also the only device that has Siri so I don't understand how we can even enter... Anything ??? Please let me know. Thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Is Siri availble on the iP4 now. If it is, whats the repo?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by headstrain0z View Post
    How can we get our Cydia number when there is no jailbreak for the 4S, which is also the only device that has Siri so I don't understand how we can even enter... Anything ??? Please let me know. Thanks.
    iPhone 4S users need to wait. But people with iPhone 4's or iPhone 3GS's can use this tweak with Voice Control by saying, "Siri."

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Is Siri availble on the iP4 now. If it is, whats the repo?
    Not out yet. iPhone 4 users can use this tweak with Voice Control for now. It should work with the port when it's released.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys, its Brock Haymond. Battery life was the huge concern for us also, so we tested thoroughly to try to reduce the footprint of the daemon as much as possible. I still believe we can make it even more lightweight as there are many tricks to leaving a small cpu footprint, including excellent noise filtering and ignoring all speech that isn't the keyword. I have more info about battery use on our FAQ at handsfreecontrol.com/faq.html. Thanks for your interest!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slowfoxtrot View Post
    Hey guys, its Brock Haymond.
    Welcome to MMi Nice tweak, pity I cant enter the givaway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This app looks great. I hope I win a copy of it.@GiAnT4LYFE