+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5.0.1 in the Works: Numerous Bug Fixes

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
iOS 5.0.1 is currently out in Beta for Apple developers. Apple released iOS 5.0.1 to iOS developers today. The update brings numerous fixes to the current iOS 5 operating system
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS 5.0.1 in the Works: Numerous Bug Fixes

iOS 5.0.1 is currently out in Beta for Apple developers.

Apple released iOS 5.0.1 to iOS developers today. The update brings numerous fixes to the current iOS 5 operating system for the iDevice lineup. Currently, one of the biggest bugs in the operating system has been scoped as the iPhone 4S battery issue. While the iPhone 4S seemed to have a battery problem from the beginning, Apple engineers began contacting iPhone 4S owners to try and stir up a pool of possibilities as to what to could have been causing the problem. It seems that they figured out the problem and the update regarding the issue will be released to the public soon. The update also fixes some of the poor battery lives on older iDevices running iOS 5. Developers can download the iOS 5.0.1 Beta from Apple's developer seed page and install it on their iDevices like we did with the original iOS 5 lineup.

iOS 5.0.1 also addresses a problem with the iPad 2. Earlier we reported that the iPad 2 had a security flaw where the user (or device infiltrator) could use a smart cover hack to bypass the passcode on the iPad 2 running iOS 5. The problem occurs when you allow the iPad 2 to be unlocked using the smart cover magnet system. The infiltrator didn't need to necessarily have a smart cover – they could have used a magnet too; scary nonetheless. The person who unlocks the iPad 2 in this manner doesn't have full access to your iPad's springboard, only the application that was left open when the iPad 2 was locked. This problem was been patched in iOS 5.0.1 Beta. Apple recognized the issue and killed it immediately. This is no surprise considering that Apple likes to keep their devices secure and under complete company lockdown; thus they hate jailbreaking. Until this update is actually released into the general public, iPad 2 owners can protect themselves by going into the iPad's Settings to disable the smart cover unlocking feature; go into Settings>General>Smart Cover unlocking.

iOS 5.0.1 isn't only bug fixes as it brings a much-loved old feature back to iOS 5 on the original iPad – multitasking gestures. What are multitasking gestures? They are touch screen-based gestures that allow you to activate the app switcher, return home to springboard, and swipe between running apps while in an application. Currently on iOS 5, only the iPad 2 has this feature. It would be up to the user to jailbreak their iDevice and download a third party tweak to get these features on the original iPad, but the iOS 5.0.1 update brings these multitasking gestures to the original iPad natively.

Beyond those big improvements, iOS 5.0.1 also brings some small things to iOS 5. Some include security enhancements, the other fixes are for bugs regarding storing documents in the cloud. It also brings better voice recognition for Australian users. Some developers are experiencing problems updating at the moment.

iOS 5.0.1 Beta can be jailbroken TETHERED using the latest redsn0w. You need to point redsn0w to the iOS 5 file, not the iOS 5.0.1 file. The process is the same as for the iOS 5 jailbreak.

Sources: CNET
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-02-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks

HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Could we use semi tether for this too?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish I had a Mac so I could just pay for the darn developer license and get this thing now. I'm sick of bringing a charger with me everywhere.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone experiencing lag when opening the camera roll after taking a picture or modifying a picture using an app? Hangs for several seconds. Hopefully it's a bug and the fix is in there.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Could we use semi tether for this too?
    Of course.

Thanks
    My battery percentage is screwy also.

Thanks

How about fixing the iMessage instability, or the numerous other tiny fixes it could use...

iPhone? More like MyPhone zYxMa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibyte24 View Post
    How about fixing the iMessage instability, or the numerous other tiny fixes it could use...
    I presume the battery was the most important one. I'm sure the rest will be fixed, eventually. or maybe it is fixed and it's not documented...

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

"Other" storage needs to be fixed too. -.-

Thanks
    Main concern is the battery usage, to be honest. Most people cal live with the tiny bugs inside, but if they have to charge their iPhone 3 to 4 times a day just because the battery keeps getting drained, that would tick people off more rather than small bugs. I'm looking forward to this release! Really hope it all works out good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

Guess untethered jailbreak for iPad 2 , 4s and older devices will be released after the bug fixes and this is absolutely logical.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    I wish I had a Mac so I could just pay for the darn developer license and get this thing now. I'm sick of bringing a charger with me everywhere.
    It will be out soon. I has a few bugs anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I need to get my phone on a dev account, anyone got a spot?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5aint View Post
    I need to get my phone on a dev account, anyone got a spot?
    I do.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Good news for the people that need these fixes. Sucks that this will just delay a iPad 2 jailbreak even longer. Going on 9 months now. Might get it by the time the iPad 3 is released.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can someone please help??I very stupidly upgraded my iphone 4s to IOS 5.0.1 but my phone isn't registered on a developer account - the phone is saying that it's unable to activate due to this fact.I'm now trying to restore to IOS 5 through itunes but it's not allowing me to do so as it just throws up a message to say that the phone isn't on a developer accountHow can I restore my phone back to IOS 5??Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 14,167 Times in 6,639 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ady199 View Post
    Can someone please help??I very stupidly upgraded my iphone 4s to IOS 5.0.1 but my phone isn't registered on a developer account - the phone is saying that it's unable to activate due to this fact.I'm now trying to restore to IOS 5 through itunes but it's not allowing me to do so as it just throws up a message to say that the phone isn't on a developer accountHow can I restore my phone back to IOS 5??Thanks in advance
    Put it into DFU then you should be able to restore to 5.0.

iPhone? More like MyPhone zYxMa's Avatar
    Thanks

I updated last night and it did not improve anything. My phone lasted for 24-36 hours anyways.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Well it looks as if i.Annie was right again. She presumed that the untethered JB for iOS 5 would be some time after an update, which made sense but anybody that has had her help or guidance with iDevice issues knows that she's incredibly helpful and in my opinion is a wonderful asset to the modmyi team. A lot of iDevice saavy people are very rude and think that they're way to cool to help others that are not as knowledgable as they are. We have all been there and started somewhere, but it's people like i.Annie that really do help and teach people the things they want to learn. So I know I've said it before but THANK YOU for all your help i.Annie. This post may be a bit off topic but oh we'll.