+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Google Rumored To Release Native iOS Gmail App Soon

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The App Store has been around for more than three years now and Google is finally on the verge of releasing a native iOS app for its Gmail service, according
    Thanks

Default Google Rumored To Release Native iOS Gmal App Soon

The App Store has been around for more than three years now and Google is finally on the verge of releasing a native iOS app for its Gmail service, according to a new report. M.G. Seigler noted in a recent blog post that “multiple sources” have told him the launch of the application is imminent and should be released in the near future, with belief of passing Apple’s app review.

Seigler continued to discuss how the app looks “pretty fantastic…perhaps even surprisingly so.” One of the key features that this app would provide is the addition of push notifications for the email service. Other features are likely to include Priority Inbox and one-click starring of messages according to him. It was also speculated that upcoming Gmail features such as “contact icons, better threading, deep search functionality,” and even Google+ integration seem likely to make their way into the iOS application.

Even though Apple’s App Store has been around since 2008, Google has stuck to using a web interface for Gmail on the iOS platform. The native Mail app found in the iOS platform has supported Gmail accounts for several years now but it seems to lack the number of features that Google offers via the web app. There has been a number of reasons that the Gmail app has been delayed. It was previously suggested that Apple was blocking third-party mail apps to avoid confusion with the native Mail app. Google also seems to favor web apps for its services, which could be another reason. Furthermore, there has been friction between Apple and Google over the Android operating system, which has been claimed to be another reason for the delay. In the recently released biography of Steve Jobs, he even vowed to “destroy Android” after HTC released an Android smartphone that he felt stole Apple’s innovations. All of which are pretty good reasons in hindsight for not wanting to implement the native iOS app (in some sense).

None the less, the Gmail app seems to be ready and on the verge of pending acceptance into the App Store. It seems that Apple and Google are finally trying to cooperate or at the very least, putting consumer convenience ahead of constant rivalry. Is it something you think you’ll be using? Are you excited for the release? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Source: ParisLemon (M.G Seigler's Blog)
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 11-01-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks
    I'd rather just use the native mail app as it supports gmail already

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mlitz69 View Post
    Definitely, and you can get push for gmail by setting it up as an exchange account.

Thanks

This app better have something out of this world or nobody will download it. The native mail app already supports gmail and does extremely good for It a swell, I don't see many people doing the transition...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'd be really interested in this if it supports their Google Apps accounts as I have my own domain hosted by a Google Apps server for my mail and would love full integration with that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

I use yahoo so I don't care.
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emerica6708 View Post
    Definitely, and you can get push for gmail by setting it up as an exchange account.
    I've set it up normally and I get Push email

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel like I may be missing the point here. With Gmail being supported in the native app (as people have stated), what use would this be? Let's hope the features are ballin'.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    You get actual push? What iOS?
    For me, phone just vibrates..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What a waste of time. iPhone has gmail and push. Get osx Lion if you need a good email client.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Then you loose the ability to delete mail (it just gets archived).

That shouldn't be possible, would you mind posting a screenshot?

I personally have exchange sync for push, and added the account a second time on IMAP for deleting messages. I sure wouldn't mind an interface that allows me to properly manage a gmail inbox that isn't as slow as the web app.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

How I am not getting push at all, so I went back tot he standard iMAP setup.
    Thanks
    --
    JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Support P.E.T.A. [PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS]

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    That shouldn't be possible, would you mind posting a screenshot?

I personally have exchange sync for push, and added the account a second time on IMAP for deleting messages. I sure wouldn't mind an interface that allows me to properly manage a gmail inbox that isn't as slow as the web app.
    I don't understand what you mean lol.

I just added Gmail using the Gmail option in mail. It does everything like a normal mail app, move messages, archive, delete, view folders etc and it's instant, Push email. I use Exchange for Hotmail, thats it. I'm on iOS 4.0.1 I think, iPhone 4.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't understand what you mean lol.

I just added Gmail using the Gmail option in mail. It does everything like a normal mail app, move messages, archive, delete, view folders etc and it's instant, Push email. I use Exchange for Hotmail, thats it. I'm on iOS 4.0.1 I think, iPhone 4.
    I think people don't understand what you mean. Because adding gmail using Gmail option just won't push incoming mail. Would you mind to share If you have managed it to work.

Thanks

I would like to see what google offers for an app, only if it is universal. Also, anyone who is able to get gmail to push via exchange setup: what's the trick? I followed the iOS guide on googles' support site, and it checks out in the Settings.app, but I always get "Cannot get mail. The connection to the server failed." I've started a ticket on their site, but it was never followed up on. I really want it to work, any advice fellow gmail pushers?
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 11-02-2011 at 06:37 AM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I get new Gmail message notifications with elert. I don't know if thats considered "push" or not though.

Banned
    Thanks

Default lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Russian View Post
    russian and you use yahoo.

everything about you is outdated then.

ugh, with a side of ugh.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mlitz69 View Post
    there is some things missing using the IMAP protocol. Trash is actually ARCHIVE so even if its gone from your inbox, it will still be in your email. Also, you do not push your other folders so if you want to find a sent message, there is a lot to load if you are a heavy email user.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    If you add gmail as an exchange setup, it will indeed push email along with contacts and calendars to your iOS device. I've been doing this for a few years. My emails are instantaneous and I have no issues deleting mail.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Russian View Post
    Cared enuf to post jackass