+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Suing for iPhone 4S Source Code, Subsidy Agreements in Australia

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Samsung and Apple are like in-laws who work together. They can’t stand the ground the other walks on, but they can’t succeed without the other. Until one ends up killing
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Samsung Suing for iPhone 4S Source Code, Subsidy Agreements in Australia

Samsung and Apple are like in-laws who work together. They can’t stand the ground the other walks on, but they can’t succeed without the other. Until one ends up killing the other in a "freak" hunting accident.

Well, Samsung just lobbed another shot at Apple requesting the source code for the iPhone 4S in addition to information about Apple’s subsidy deals with Australian carriers. This comes after Apple won an injunction on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia earlier this year.

Samsung is arguing that Apple’s 4S infringes on three patents they hold concerned with 3G wireless technology. Apple already licenses these patents from Samsung, as do a ton of other manufacturers, as the patents are considered “standard essential patents.” This means the patents are a necessity industry wide and not an innovation specific to a single phone manufacturer or company. Samsung is required to offer Fair, Reasonable, and Non-Discriminatory (FRAND) licensing terms. Apple’s defense claims they are covered by a third-party agreement Qualcomm made with Samsung for the MDM6610 chipset found in the 4S. Samsung is arguing this licensing deal may not extend into Australian church.

Ultimately this lawsuit, if Samsung is successful, pales in comparison to the injunction Apple won against the Galaxy Tab 10.1. It’s unclear what Samsung will be able to do if they get the subsidy numbers for Vodafone, Optus, and Telstra in Australia. So far their argument is “If subsidies are given for the iPhone 4S, there are less to go around for my client’s products,” according to Samsung’s lawyer Cynthia Cochrane. Apparently there are a limited number of subsidies carriers can give out in Australia? I’m sure that isn’t the case.

The worst case scenario for Apple in this case is Samsung wins and Apple has to reach a ne separate FRAND licensing agreement with Samsung. Samsung wants an injunction against the iPhone 4S somewhere, but it doesn’t look like it will be happening Australia.

Source: Tech Crunch
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-01-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Hey... I though the "Dark Side" always used the red light sabre. Since when is Apple the Dark Side of the technological force?

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is like a bad episode of Famliy Fued. While Apple's lawyers seem well rehearsed, Samsung's keep yelling ridiculous answers out of turn.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm surprised we haven't seen a video like that pop online somewhere yet...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Hey... I though the "Dark Side" always used the red light sabre. Since when is Apple the Dark Side of the technological force?
    Apple is an empire, the dark side ruled the empire.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

As off today the world might END? As off now apple & samsung wars begin again and again and again and...

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I know, let's get over ourselves and stop suing.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung needs to get off Apple's balls for a while. After they stole the whole iPhone concept, they kinda lost all credibility.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Since they stopped being the pirates and joined the navy.

Thanks

Both sides used different colors. Only the first original films had red for the dark side, and blue for the light side.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
    ...now the hackers are all but extinct. We were seduced by the Dark Side of the Source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsung
    The Source?
    Well, the Source is what gives Apple it's power. It's an energy field created by all developers. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the data together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsung
    I don't care about all that. Just gimme the code so I can pwn Apple and sell my awesome tablet.
    which side used orange light sabers?
    Which side are YOU on?
    Last edited by raduga; 11-01-2011 at 05:27 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Samsung needs to get off Apple's balls for a while. After they stole the whole iPhone concept, they kinda lost all credibility.
    ^
    Most retarded statement ever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Samsung is a true biter...Apple should be suing them...Samsung do not hide when they make a copy phone look the same as iphone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

woah... looks like sammy is the new Uni Soviet ... i feel like we're in the middle of cold war

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by proopps View Post
    Samsung is a true biter...Apple should be suing them...Samsung do not hide when they make a copy phone look the same as iphone.
    I feel like I just said that, the guy who commented before you chewed me out.

Seriously though, doesn't anyone remember that phone came out and the operating system was designed almost identical to iOS? I know they fling food each other on occasion, but that's a pretty big deal.

Thanks

job's apple is empire.We can't contentious