+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Keep Track of iPhone Data With DataMan Pro

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
DataMan Pro has more accurate measurements than your cell phone company's app. Many of you will be thinking, "Well I use myAT&T" or, "Well I use My Verizon Mobile." The
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Keep Track of iPhone Data With DataMan Pro

DataMan Pro has more accurate measurements than your cell phone company's app.

Many of you will be thinking, "Well I use myAT&T" or, "Well I use My Verizon Mobile." The truth is, while these apps will allow you to check up on data usage, the numbers are not accurate. The cellular service providers do not let the apps keep real time data about how much data you're using. They update their data every few hours or days whenever their computers feel like it, but one thing is for certain; it's not real time. DataMan Pro offers some tools to monitor your data in real time as you are using it. It offers alerts for when you go over a certain amount of data and you can set your own daily limits to help manage your data better than ever before. When you hit that limit, a popup notification will appear telling you that you've used X amount of data. X being the amount that you limited yourself to. The app won't actually cut off your data for the day but it will tell you that you've met your set amount. You can set thresholds which will alert you every time to reach a certain percentage of your data. For this setting I modified the original 200MB per month to 2GB per month because that's the data plan that I have for AT&T. As shown, it will alert me every day after I use 10MB, every week after I use 50MB, and every month after I use 2GB:

Other settings include geotagging, which allows for you to know when and where you used a ton of data. Have you ever been in a situation where you've been abroad and downloading things, then when you come home you realize that almost all of your data has been used? Sometimes that's happened to me and I've been flustered by it. This app allows you to see exactly when you used it and where you used it which will give you a pretty good idea of what you were doing that used so much data.

DataMan Pro also allows you to see how much data you used in between a certain amount of time. It offers a function that allows you to look from a certain date up to a certain date and it will tell you how much data you used in between those dates. Just tap "done" to see the result:

DataMan Pro pulls network data from iOS, not from your carrier. iOS, in case you were unaware, has network monitoring settings under Settings>General>Usage>Cellular usage. This app monitors changes in those numbers to come up with accurate real time results that the cellular company needs wait to push out every once in a while. Because these settings already exist in iOS, you might ask me why this app is even necessary. Well it's useful because it offers automated notifications and deep customizable settings. iOS won't notify you when you get close to your data limit, nor will AT&T (unless it's too late of course). So this app is good on your personal economy. These statistics can be saved to your computer from iTunes built-in file sharing so that you can keep hard copies for yourself. This can be helpful for when you feel like your carrier has over-billed you. Now you can have hard copies to fight against them with. DataMan Pro monitors everything; 3G, Edge, GPRS, and even Wi-Fi usage.

In this image below you can see how it calculates percents of what you've used and applies your daily/weekly/monthly limits:

You can buy DataMan Pro in the App Store from your iPhone or download it here.

Full Name: DataMan Pro - Real Time Data Usage Manager with Geotag
    Price: $1.99
    Rating:  4 out of 5
    Author: Johnny Ixe
    Compatibility: iPad, iPhone, iPod touch

Will you be trying out this data manager? There is a free lite version in the App Store that you can try first. It's called, "DataMan Free." Share your thoughts below!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-31-2011 at 07:53 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a brilliant idea for an application! Can really help out a lot of people.

I really appreciate how ModMyi shows us all these magnificent apps, such as this one and Modern Combat 3. Every app they have shown me made we want to get the app.

Keep up the good work ModMyi! Got a fantastic website running here!

P.S~ Great article Anthony B. I definitely will show my friends with iPhones this app. I am looking forward to more app reviews from you

Thanks

already tried it and can't say i had the best experience... there are other similar apps way better than this. My data use, data usage and download meter are WAY better with WAY more options and stats
    Last edited by gren; 10-31-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks

This is great my h2o doesn't tell me how much data I use monthy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    already tried it and can't say i had the best experience... there are other similar apps way better than this. My data use, data usage and download meter are WAY better with WAY more options and stats
    Agreed. I turned off 3G completely since I'm using wifi at the office and the app still showing that my 3G data usage is increasing.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brokensword View Post
    Agreed. I turned off 3G completely since I'm using wifi at the office and the app still showing that my 3G data usage is increasing.....
    I used to think that DataMan Pro was the best one for years. NONE were accurate by the way! Until i purchased "Data Usage" (green icon, with 1up 1down arrows) Try it for yourself and u'll see...

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

The icon looks ugly, no thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Had it for a few months. Its accuracy seemed spotty unless I kept it open at all times (not closing it out on the multitask bar), and it seemed to cause a bit of lag even in the background. Probably fine for getting an idea of how much data you use, but I demand more accurate metrics for a $2 data usage meter.