+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Setting Time Zone Feature Claimed To Be Culprit For iPhone 4S Battery Draining Issues

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I heard about this issue on day one of iphone 4s ownership, I have switched it off and still notice poor battery life compared to my iphone 4. I also
    Green Apple
    Thanks

I heard about this issue on day one of iphone 4s ownership, I have switched it off and still notice poor battery life compared to my iphone 4.

I also heard and there is a youtube video claiming that you need to turn of the calendar widget in notification centre, and this has apparently worked for a lot of people. Allegedly the calendar widget polls for new calendar events 1000+ times and hour and this kills battery life.

I have switched this off as well and can not fully comment on if there has been any improvement but it still looks like battery life is poor.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A friend told me that it's the raise to speak fuinction from Siri. Try Deactivating it. I just did that and I am Already noticing a big chnage. Please try and let me know

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wdpower View Post
    I'm trying this now, I had been told to kill location services all together and it would help. Hopefully this does it. I have a iPhone 4 with iOS 5. When I upgraded the battery started dying faster.
    Agree, I'm also on iOS5 with iP4 and seeing the battery drain faster since the update, probably this will help, I just checked it and the mark was blue meaning it was active, I just turned the option off.

Quote Originally Posted by purplemonkeyspank View Post
    You iPhone users have no idea how good you've got it. Samsung galaxy s2: 2-3 charges a DAY! Man i miss my iPhone 4! Do not, i repeat DO NOT jump ship for android! Not if you value battery life and overall usability! For the love of god!...Don't do it! You have a sweet thing going with the iPhone.
    Actually, most of the advices you get from the are senseless, if you use an iPhone and disable all the good features on it, you just may as well buy a plain and cheap phone and that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumbows View Post
    I found my battery was draining hard one day and then I opened my reminders and found I had left it on a new reminder where I was setting the location so it was constantly scanning for "current location". I think turning off location settings for each app when ever possible will be a huge help, as using my TomTom app smashes my battery.
    GPS app as TomTom are battery hungry and you cannot use them for a longer unless plugged it to a car charger or similar device.
    Last edited by subarurider; 10-31-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidmaiden18183 View Post
    I heard about this issue on day one of iphone 4s ownership, I have switched it off and still notice poor battery life compared to my iphone 4.

I also heard and there is a youtube video claiming that you need to turn of the calendar widget in notification centre, and this has apparently worked for a lot of people. Allegedly the calendar widget polls for new calendar events 1000+ times and hour and this kills battery life.

I have switched this off as well and can not fully comment on if there has been any improvement but it still looks like battery life is poor.

still broked....

NEXT
    EDM

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My battery improved a whole lot when I turned off location based reminders. That application has to be constantly refreshing my location in order to remind me at the right location. That was killing my battery..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have tried every thing.
    3 restores as new phone, turned everything off that I read and still having issues, sitting at apple right now and I am being told its location services

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't have the crazy battery drain some have talked about, I notice 15-20% more battery drain with the same daily usage than my ip4. I flipped the time zone setting last night and will be trying it out today. So far battery actually seems worse! Down to 88% and all I have done is 4-5 text messages, one 2minute phone call and checked my email pretty much. Sigh.

-Luke

Thanks
    I'm not sure if I'm having issues or not I get about 1:20 usage and I'm down to 80% mostly 3G web browsing on ip4. Is that normal.?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

I am not noticing a difference with this change.

Thanks

I found this on Day 2 after launch. I turned off a bunch of the system location settings. Still drains faster than my husbands 4 with similiar usage pattern. Only thing that helps is disabling SIRI. This is unacceptable. I should not have to turn off the features that attracted me to buy the phone in the first place. Apple really dropped the ball this time. I don't think I'd be as upset if they hadnt claimed such better battery performance in the first place. Just wrong. If no fix by 30 day mark I'm returning it for a 4

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The genius pulled up the diagnostics.
    2.5 hours of use with 26% battery remaining.
    13 hours of standby.

Here's the thing
    My last charge was last night. I disconnected around 3am. At 1050am I was at 98% with no use. Then as the genius started playing with it it lost 9% is under 10 minutes and nearly 1% every minute.

He took the phone disappeared to the back for over 10 minutes. Came back with a replacement and a recommendation not to use location services unless necessary. That is what the memo circulating from corporate said.

The replacement phone is performing the same.

Original c39
    Replacement c38

I Asked for a sim key, took out my jailbroken ip4 and put the sim into it.

Genius: well you properly get better battery life on the ip4s than on a jailbroken phone.

I nicely asked, better than the 4s?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this has helped some but not much. my ip4 battery was so much better than the 4s'.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

It's so sad that the ip4 gets better battery life jailbroken with full hacks on iOS5 then the ip4s no jailbreak does

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Not really, since installing iOS5 on a factory unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 4, battery life has decreased a lot.

Green Apple
    Thanks

My iPhone 4 OS 5.0 jailbroken died this morning after 6 hours with minimal use. I've turned off location based tracking with several apps to see if it's helps. I feel like my phone isn't going to sleep and it tends to run hot while sitting in my pocket unused. Something is keeping it awake, whether it is from the location services or something else, I don't know.

Thanks
    since i turned off this service i have noticed a significant increase in my battery life, thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    I was on the phone today with apple tech support about this issue, and they couldn't give me any answers as to why this might be happening. They said if I disable the following services / features it will help;

- push email (fetch manually)
    - location service for apps
    - passcode lock- wifi (when not at a hotspot)
    - brightness (keep it low as possible)
    - photo stream
    - Bluetooth
    - Equalizer

I told them I bought the new iPhone 4s to use these features and that I didn't have this issue on my other devices running 4.3.3.
    I'm happy to learn a solution has been found, hopefully this will be fixed with an update. Funny how Apple couldn't figure this out given they created iOS 5.
    Oddly enough my clock was 3 hours fast as of yesterday on my devices.
    Passcode lock? Whyu us that battery drainer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNewbdude View Post
    Just checked and also noticed that "compass calibration" had a grey arrow along with "location based I-ads" and "setting time zone". I have had my 4S for about a week and have yet to use the compass in maps or by itself. I turned that off as well. I'll update tomorrow how much it helps, thanks.
    sigh, its still bad, maybe a tad bit better, but its still bad.

Thanks

Not sure that will help everyone but here is my story. I've had the exact opposite issue. I have both the 4S and 4. Using iOS 5 on both (updated the 4 with iOS 5), used a backup on the 4 and set up the 4S as a new device without a backup. What did I notice?The 4 battery would drain from 100% to about 20-30% in less than one day. My 4S ran four days (3 on standby and about six hours of total use). This was with location services and 3G on the entire time and using Wifi intermittently. Those of you having battery issues who used a backup after upgrading to iOS 5 might want to try and restore your device and set it up as a new device without a backup and see what happens.
    Last edited by southfrisco; 11-01-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: actually had 3G on the entire time with the 4S

Thanks
    On my i4 over 10 hours on standby over night and was still at 100%. After restoring as new