Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BigBoss Updates Semi Tether Package - Improves Stability

Thanks

Default BigBoss Updates Semi Tether Package - Improves Stability

Just last week, BigBoss released a package on Cydia called SemiTether, which allowed users to reboot their tethered jailbroken iOS 5 device without the need to connect it to the computer. It wasn’t a full tethered boot though (hence the name) and limitations arose along with several reported issues. BigBoss recently released a new version of SemiTether (v0.91), which incorporates the new mobile substrate by Jay “Saurik” Freeman. The new semi-tethered mode is supposedly more stable.

BigBoss mentioned the following in his release:

v0.9.1 incorporates Saurik’s new mobile substrate. Thanks to Saurik, we are entirely rid of all the daemon patching – this means there’s no more daemon patching or restarting. Most the semi-tether work is now done by mobile substrate. The semitether package from the repository now protects your iOS 5 notification center plugins and gives you the option to patch mobile safari so that it will work on the non-jailbreak reboot mode. I’m still looking into patching mail, if possible.
    Below are the list of changes found in the update:

1. Much more stable with new mobile substrate
    2. Can patch safari so it works in the non-jailbreak reboot mode
    3. App to monitor the status of your semitether and reapply. Check after cydia installs.

What the semi tethered mode does is allow users who have used a tethered jailbreak for their iPhone to at least use it for some of the basic functions upon having to restart their iPhone (without having a computer nearby). Previously, because of the required tethered boot, if your iPhone for any reason was restarted, you would be stuck at the Apple logo until you went to a computer and used RedSn0w’s “Just Boot” option. With the update, you can use the Phone, Messages, and every other stock app on the iPhone (including Mobile Safari with this update). You still cannot use the Mail app (although you can use a gmail app for example from the App Store instead) and no Cydia tweaks or apps work either (which is a given).

BigBoss did provide a word of caution though regarding the updated version, which can be found below:

This new version will definitely solve all the flakiness problems we had in the past. However, be aware that this is a total rewrite of mobile substrate. Until this appears in a community source, you are beta testing so installing it is entirely at your own risk.
    All in all, if you find yourself often stuck waiting to have to perform the “Just Boot” feature in RedSn0w then you may want to consider using the Semi Tether package from BigBoss. If you don’t have any issues with the tethered jailbreak, it is recommended that you avoid using the semi tether until further notice.

Did any of you decide to get it? If so, share any experiences below!

Source: BigBoss

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I have it. To me, this is just as good as a untethered jailbreak. I am usually near a computer so this is and emergency tool for me. I have to say, the GUI is a great add on! And now we can use safari! This is great. Thanks!

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Does anyone know why this tweak un-installs inst allous?

will this work with itunes?

Thanks

Not sweating an untether jb with this combo add the great safari patch works and next patch mail and were cooking with Crisco lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    "semitether" isn't in my BigBoss repo..

Any one else get a pure white icon called semi tether after installing. And you gotta add a repo, it's like http://bigboss.org/semitether I think.

Thanks

I jailbroke my iPod with snowbreeze, so would this be compatible with the cfw?

Will this work on the 4s when the jailbreak gets released? (hopefully soon)

i still cant find semitether...help??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Will it need to work on the 4S? I believe the A5 exploit is untethered.
    Edit: Semitether is in a separate repository: http:// thebigboss .org/semitether/

Thanks

You can find out more about Semi-tether in the original news post from about a week ago (also mentioned in the article) Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - BigBoss Releases Semi-Tethered Jailbreak Tool

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 05VIIII View Post
    Does anyone know why this tweak un-installs inst allous?
    I can venture a guess...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-31-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I can venture a guess...
    Hahahaha! Awesome
    That's how I roll!

Quote Originally Posted by SupaSpill View Post
    i still cant find semitether...help??

If you can't find it in the bigboss repo add this repo to your sources

Then search for it you should find it now.
    Last edited by Simon; 11-02-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Glad its been updated, the first release drove me nuts!

I have the repo but theres no update available as far as I can see, I have 0.7.9-1

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but always at the end of the reboot, it is stuck on a frozen respring logo. Anyone know how to fix this?

soo what, once my phone is restarted if i want cydia and other apps to work i have to reboot it with redsn0w and it will work fine?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I can venture a guess...
    Whats your guess? Why are they forcing me to delete something I want?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast