Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: eBook for Learning How to Use Siri Released

Default eBook for Learning How to Use Siri Released

Now you too can learn how to use Siri with this informative Siri manual.

I don't know what's funnier, the fact that this guide was released for Amazon Kindle, or that the time was taken to write a guide on using such a simple voice feature for such a simple device.

How many of you own an iPhone 4S? Probably a good chunk I presume. Those of you who do, do you know everything that there is to know about Siri? Have you explored every region or have you only explored what you've needed it for?

Siri is a voice control system that can be toggled on and off from your iPhone's settings. It uses a pre-defined library of words and uses complex algorithms to put your sentences together to respond with intelligent answers. Asking it a question will yield a response that is relevant to the question that you asked. For example, asking it what the weather is like; Siri will show you the weather for the week. Siri comes preloaded on all iPhone 4S's. It is not available at this time for any other device. There are rumors that Apple might be releasing an HDTV powered by Siri sometime in 2012, although that's a while off. Developers on the jailbreak side are working hard to port Siri over the iPhone 4 and other older devices. At this point in time, there has been no significant progress. All they have been able to do is copy the GUI over from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 4. There is no actual functionality because Siri depends on Apple's servers to work; which only accept requests from iPhone 4S's – which the iPhone 4 is not. As most of us hope that the porting will be successful, for now, only iPhone 4S users have it. This guide may help some of you using one.

This eBook walks us through how to use the various commands. It touches base on the common commands that Apple added built-in functionality for. It even has some information that many of us do not know about. It goes into some detail about the "lighter side of Siri" and even provides tips for "Siri security." It has glorified information about creating text messages, searching the web, shopping online, keeping tabs on stocks, and managing E-mail through Siri. The eBook is pretty informative and includes examples and tutorials of such performances.

Ironically enough, there doesn't appear to be an iBooks version of the eBook. I only did a quick search. If you find otherwise let us know in the comments.

The book is $4.99 and can be purchased here on Amazon.com.
    Authors: Erica Sadun, Steve Sande
    Format: Kindle Edition
    File Size: 3305 KB
    Publisher: Sand Dune Books (October 25, 2011)
    Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
    Language: English
    Rating: / 4.5

How many kindle fans out there will be buying this? Share in the comments!

Sources: Amazon
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-28-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is likely one of those books that was written to try and get a bunch of quick around launch, since that is when Siri is most popular. The pricing and the bookstore of choice does surprise me.

Why does a book need to be made. I mean, Siri is supposed to be easy to use. Just talk like normal to it and voila.

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Why does a book need to be made. I mean, Siri is supposed to be easy to use. Just talk like normal to it and voila.
    I know people who can't even teach their moms how to send a text message. lol

I remember Erica Sadun, a writer for TUAW, Erica Sadun holds a PhD in Computer Science from the Georgia Institute of Technology. She has written, co-written, and contributed to dozens of books about technology, particularly in the areas of programming and digital media.

The reason I remember her is because she was also one of the pioneers in the Jailbreak community, in fact she very much 'pwned' my very first iPhone by changing the carrier information on my screen

Some further insight into who actually did the writing on this book may shed some light on why it was writren. But then, isn't it obvious? Nobody else has done it yet and she can make money!

I think the reason its available for Kindle is because nothing beats a Kindle for reading anything and its a gentle reminder that it is ok to have more than one flavour of tech...

Default haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I know people who can't even teach their moms how to send a text message. lol
    i know someone who, through siri, was able to make it so his parents knew what texting was to begin with and now they use siri to text everyone

Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 892 Posts

Open book.
    Page 1. Hold home button. Then talk.
    Close book.

Erica of Erica Utilities fame? So that's what she's up to now.I don't have a 4S but surely you can just askSiri and she will tell you all the information in this book?

Actually, just ask Siri "What can you do?". She gives a bunch of examples on what to say, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Open book.
    Page 1. Hold home button. Then talk.
    Close book.
    Flawless!!! +10!