+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS is 'PWNING' Nintendo's Profits

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer Seriously, read the whole conversation. If you would still make the same comment after reading ALL of it, then you, sir, are just as ignorant as
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Seriously, read the whole conversation. If you would still make the same comment after reading ALL of it, then you, sir, are just as ignorant as he is.
    lol I read the whole thing. All I see is a whiny little baby (you) that aggresses everyone that believes against your opinion. Your opinion isn't fact, and the fact they disagree with you doesn't make them ignorant. You need to lay off and take anger management.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Nintendo is to hard-headed, you'll need an axe to crack their skull. For them to listen, and join 'em...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Pricepoint is the killer here. Even the more expensive smartphone games cost a fraction of what a nintendo handheld game does. The only "cheap" Nintendo games are ports. I would be willing to bet that most of those ports are being purchased by people who bought the original game 10-20 years ago. Nintendo is not making any new games at value prices. If they cut the price of, say, Mario 3D land down to $10 (from $30) I would be willing to bet they would see a larger gross. Sony had it half way right with the PSP Go... they made everything downloadable rather than physical media. They still kept their prices high, and the console completely flopped. We are also seemingly moving from an era of "hardcore" gaming and seeing a lot more casual gamers emerge. Games that are easy to pick up and put down are what are selling incredibly well (Angry birds, Cut the Rope, etc.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I think that most iOS games SUCK when compared to dsi & psp games, they are simply not deep & feel cheap. Nintendo & Sony need a portable system that comes with there own version of an AppStore, where we can conveniently buy games. They need to get with the times! Duh
    +1

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple should wait for nintendo's stock to plummet and then engage a hostile takeover. Then they can throw out all their crappy hardware and use their titles for iOS and maybe position to combine a game system into an upcoming apple branded TV. (maybe keep the wiimote)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    We're all entitled to our opinions. Facts, on the other hand, are a different story entirely. I stopped reading when, in the first paragraph, "facts" such as "...the iPhone 4, which cost less than the Nintendo 3DS..." and "No one wanted to buy $30+ game cartridges anymore." were tossed about.

Perhaps Mr. Bouchard would care to explain on what these "facts" are based? My own research yields the following:

1. Sure, a brand new iPhone 4S starts at $199 and an iPhone 4 starts at $149, however, thse figures are completely bogus because, as we all know, those prices require a 2-year contract with a large mobile carrier:

AT&T
    • iPhone 4S 16GB - $199 w/ 2-year contract
    • 450 Minutes Talk - $39.99/mo (MINIMUM)
    • 200MB Data - $15/mo (MINIMUM)
    • Total cost of ownership: $1,518.76
    Verizon
    • iPhone 4S 16GB - $199 w/ 2-year contract
    • 450 Minutes Talk - $39.99/mo (MINIMUM)
    • 2GB Data - $30/mo (MINIMUM)
    • Total cost of ownership: $1,878.76
    Sprint
    • iPhone 4S 16GB - $199
    • 450 Minutes Talk & Unlimited Data - $69.99/mo (MINIMUM)
    • "Premium Data" - $10/mo (REQUIRED)
    • Total cost of ownership: $2,118.76

And before you think of replying with "but you could buy an iPhone 4 for $149 or an iPhone 3GS for $99", be prepared for a response of "and I could buy a Nintendo DSi or a DS as well."

2. If "No one wanted to buy $30+ game cartridges anymore," please explain how Nintendo manages to sell any games at all. I can find at least 10 people locally whom have all purchased at least 1 Nintendo game cartridge within the last 3 months and many that have purchased more than 1.

I'm sure there might be an actual fact somewhere in this article, but right from the get-go, the "facts" are nothing but bogus drivel. I won't argue that iOS is certainly affecting the profits of portable console makers. However, this article has absolutely no merit in my opinion.

This article is YET another example of the sensationalist "reporting" that has become nearly 100% the standard at ModMyI. Granted, there are some good articles posted by some "editors", but 9 out of 10 are simply not worth reading. I only stick around because I hope that someday somebody will finally fix this problem.
    Dude I don't really really think that everyone is saying nobody wants it anymore. However we (at least i am) are saying that iOS is more popular. People already have a cell phone, why not maximize the experience? If you don't have a cell phone great, sounds like something else is the solution for you. Smartphones by themselves are already super popular and that is a fact.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I am giving up on your logic. Because the iPhone 4S and iPod touch cost $199. That is the device paid for. The contract on the iPhone doesn't correlate to the device itself, it correlates to the service. If you cancel the service, you still own your iPhone for whatever you paid for it. The research you are referring to is misguided. It's not hard to understand that $249 > $199. Nintendo needed to slice that price down to $169 to compete with the $199 superior devices.

No further comments.
    Current Gen iPhones start at $649. Carrier pays $450 for you in exchange for 2 year contract. If you cancel your contract early, you have to pay back that $450 pro-rated on how long is left on your contract. So contract does correlate to phone.

What Nintendo and Sony are really doing wrong are their versions of 'app store'. They need to price in line with Apple's App store to be competitive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dknowle View Post
    Current Gen iPhones start at $649. Carrier pays $450 for you in exchange for 2 year contract. If you cancel your contract early, you have to pay back that $450 pro-rated on how long is left on your contract. So contract does correlate to phone.

What Nintendo and Sony are really doing wrong are their versions of 'app store'. They need to price in line with Apple's App store to be competitive.
    Actually termination fees start around $300 something and come down in price for every month that you have your contract. Which is still less than $450.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    Actually termination fees start around $300 something and come down in price for every month that you have your contract. Which is still less than $450.
    That's what I meant by pro-rated and I don't know contract terms for Verizon or Sprint. AT&T is $325 -$10/mo service. Still less than the $450, but add up $199 phone + termination fee + $18 upgrade fee and you are far away from getting an iPhone for $199. His argument is better geared towards the iPod.

Thanks

That's what I meant by pro-rated and I don't know contract terms for Verizon or Sprint. AT&T is $325 -$10/mo service. Still less than the $450, but add up $199 phone + termination fee + $18 upgrade fee and you are far away from getting an iPhone for $199. His argument is better geared towards the iPod.
    Maybe so.. but it's still $199 for the device itself. I bet people buying the Playstation Vita will probably opt to have 3G on it. That doesn't count toward the device, that's just a service that you choose to have on it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow this topic really got blown out of proportion.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Keep it a clean debate. Debates can still happen but please refrain from name calling or insults as per the forum rules.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    Maybe so.. but it's still $199 for the device itself. I bet people buying the Playstation Vita will probably opt to have 3G on it. That doesn't count toward the device, that's just a service that you choose to have on it.
    But you do not have to enter into a contract to purchase PS Vita. An off-contract iPhone starts at full retail of $649. Although the carrier is charging you $199 for the phone, you are really paying the full retail over the course of the contract.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

But you do not have to enter into a contract to purchase PS Vita. An off-contract iPhone starts at full retail of $649. Although the carrier is charging you $199 for the phone, you are really paying the full retail over the course of the contract.
    Why do you and everyone else keep throwing that out there? Yeah, $649 for and iPhone. Guess what. $199 for and iPod touch. Same thing. Same games. Same screen. Generally same hardware sans a little ram. No contract. No additional charges. Whats your defense now? Now all of you shut the f*** up.

I currently own an iPhone 4, but I'd kill to have a 3DS so I can play Pokemon and starfox. Your arguement is invalid. So just stop.

On a side note, Nintendo should not port to iOS unless they make a Bluetooth controller to go with it. Touch screen controls just WILL NOT work with Nintendo games. Though I'd love Pokemon and Zelda on my iPhone. We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Aenima133; 10-29-2011 at 09:55 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima133 View Post
    Why do you and everyone else keep throwing that out there? Yeah, $649 for and iPhone. Guess what. $199 for and iPod touch. Same thing. Same games. Same screen. Generally same hardware sans a little ram. No contract. No additional charges. Whats your defense now? Now all of you shut the f*** up.

I currently own an iPhone 4, but I'd kill to have a 3DS so I can play Pokemon and starfox. Your arguement is invalid. So just stop.

On a side note, Nintendo should not port to iOS unless they make a Bluetooth controller to go with it. Touch screen controls just WILL NOT work with Nintendo games. Though I'd love Pokemon and Zelda on my iPhone. We'll see what happens.
    Even if Nintendo makes a bluetooth controller, Nintendo shouldn't port their big game titles to iOS. That would be stupid of them. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo made other games for iOS but Nintendo would lose a lot of money by bringing Zelda or Mario to iOS.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Even if Nintendo makes a bluetooth controller, Nintendo shouldn't port their big game titles to iOS. That would be stupid of them. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo made other games for iOS but Nintendo would lose a lot of money by bringing Zelda or Mario to iOS.
    I can agree to that. Maybe not main titles, but possibly old skool games like the NES or SNES games and possibly make 3D spin offs of Zelda and such with the same usually effort made in games already on ios like Infinity Blade and such. Not a whole game port.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima133 View Post
    If you bothered to read my previous, I said his argument better geared for the iPod. The point being that you can't say an iPhone costs $199 when the true cost is much higher. Maybe someone should listen to their own words?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Are we there yet???

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This isn't surprising to me. I've owned nearly every portable console since the original Gameboy and I think I'm done with them. I don't feel like carrying around an extra piece of hardware just to game nor shelling out $200-300 for it. My iPhone does a good enough on the go for gaming and at home I play Xbox 360 or PS3.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234