+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint: iPhone Will Help Us Keep the Unlimited Data Around Longer

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Sprint is the only major carrier left that offers true, unthrottled, unlimited data. Sprint really believes in the iPhone. They've locked themselves into a four-year deal with Apple which will
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sprint: iPhone Will Help Us Keep the Unlimited Data Around Longer

Sprint is the only major carrier left that offers true, unthrottled, unlimited data.

Sprint really believes in the iPhone. They've locked themselves into a four-year deal with Apple which will cost them $15.5 billion dollars to keep selling the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson
    Hesse confirmed Sprint signed a four-year deal with Apple to provide the iPhone and expects the iPhone to create between $7 billion and $8 billion in new value for the company. Hesse confirmed the additional value, and customer growth are why Sprint is willing to bear the brunt of the initial investment in the iPhone.
    More here.

There is no doubt that they took a huge investment leap of faith in offering it. Sprint now has several billion dollars invested in carrying the iPhone; they offer the iPhone 4 (8GB) and the iPhone 4S (16, 32, 64GB). They also offer unlimited data plans – the big decider in carrier consumers who recently bought the iPhone 4S. As we are well aware, Sprint is suffering data speed problems and they are working on it.

Sprint CEO, Dan Hesse, believes that the iPhone will actually help Sprint keep the unlimited data plan around longer than if they hadn't adopted the iPhone in the first place. Hesse explains that Apple's apps and browsing methods are well optimized for speed and performance. Hesse points out that Apple's iPhone is much better at picking up Wi-Fi signals than Android devices are. The reason why this helps Sprint is a given. Less data users means less traffic and less traffic means more efficient bandwidth. The more people that are using data on Sprint's network, obviously the more they will have to try to cap people to keep them from overloading the network. Sprint has already capped the power-hogs who use Sprint's network for tablets, mobile hotspots, and mobile broadband. So when a device is better at riding on the back of a Wi-Fi signal, then it will cause less strain on the Sprint network in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hesse
    One of the beauties of carrying the iPhone is it extends the period of time and increases the likelihood of us maintaining unlimited data longer because it uses our network so efficiently.”
    What he goes on to mean about this, is that the iPhone has a ton of mobile-optimized apps and Web Sites that load much more efficiently than that of Sprint's Android phones which are much more power-hungry. Web designers sometimes create mobile versions of websites, however the meta data of many of those websites are specifically written for iPhones more often than for various other devices. This here-in-put makes sense because the iPhone is the single best-selling smartphone in the world. That doesn't even take into account the number of iPads and iPod touches that also use those mobile Web Sites. But this kind of logic isn't new. Windows, being the world's most popular operating system, has more programs written for it than Mac does. So it only makes sense when Web designers take more time to design for the iPhone than other mobile devices.

In addition to Web Sites, Hesse explains that the apps that app developers make for the iPhone are also well-optimized for mobile use. Sprint also explains how the app submission process that Apple has with the App Store helps to make sure that the applications are optimized to a certain standard. Many of the apps offer a very simple, low-GUI interface that isn't overloaded with too many options or images. These apps can run quickly and efficiently. They require less juice from Sprint's network to run than some of Android Market's apps do. iOS apps are also designed to ping the network less than other operating systems. "It’s almost like a Prius," Hesse says. A Prius is a fuel efficient vehicle. So the iPhone basically takes that stand on the network that the Prius does with gas. Ultimately conserving more data instead of using it all the time like an Android app might. The Android phone is like a gas-guzzling Hummer.

For now, it looks like Sprint will be able to keep unlimited data in place for quite a while longer. However they depend on consumers to keep buying the iPhone for this to happen. In the mean time, many consumers are waiting to see if Sprint fixes their horrible 3G data speeds for the iPhone 4S. I know that if I'm going to pay more for data that I definitely want to see faster speeds than 0.01Mb/s down.

Sources: Forbes
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-27-2011 at 01:40 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

3G is horrible and 4G is great but where I live there is only 4G in one small part of town.

Sprint: iPhone Will Help Us Keep the Unlimited Data Around Longer-3gvs4g.png

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I would upload a pic of AT&T but I always get an error on modmyi from my iPhone doing that so here it is

Iphone 4S 3G/4G speed with AT&T - 5 Bars
    3.47mbps download
    1.05mbps upload
    Wifi is
    25.84mbps download
    7.65mbps upload

Iphone4 on Wifi
    20.25 download
    4.82 upload

We get 50mbps with a 5 bumps upload on my Wifi house
    I dont know how that one hit 7.65mbps on the upload

It's so nice being grandfathered in to AT&T unlimited

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's always amazing how these big cell companies blame us for the word unlimited. I mean just because they put it in their commercials to sell these phones. Use the word in big print on their websites (AT$T before capping new customers)then hide what they really mean in the fine print. Its always the data hogs that are the problem. This is their new term to put the blame on someone other then themselves. Just quit using the damn word already. I think by now we all know you don't really mean it. And even if you do mean it. You are not prepared for it. Can you imagine if lets say the data amount was 5gb's for everyone, and everyone actually uses that amount. Everyone would then be the data hogs according to the phone company. Because they wouldn't be able to handle that either.Sprint new sloganWe offer the only unlimited data plan. So what if its super slow, it's still unlimited pause (for now). Also yellow phone in add should be a tortoise and the other phones should be hares.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sure...and when everyone signs up with contracts, bye bye unlimited.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

I find this topic quite useful and very informative

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Funny headline
    Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Sure...and when everyone signs up with contracts, bye bye unlimited.
    "Sprint is the only true u limited, who doesn't throttle" hahaha. My cousin returned her sprint iPhone 4s on Monday, and she's now with AT&T. 7 out of 10 times she was unable to use Siri, because of network issue, not to mention opening web pages which took over a minute sometimes 2 to open. 0.67 dl and 0.08 ul. That's worst than throttle. Tmobile edge is much much faster than sprint 3G.