Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Relic Infographic Shows Speed Improvements Found in iOS 5 Safari

Thanks

Default New Relic Infographic Shows Speed Improvements Found in iOS 5 Safari

New Relic, a web application performance company recently released the results of a study where they compared the browsing speeds of apps on iOS 4 versus the same apps on iOS 5. For this study, the same model of the iPhone was used and the same apps were compared with the difference of the software (tested on iOS 4 then iOS 5). The results concluded that iOS 5 with Safari 5.1 is significantly faster than iOS 4 with Safari 5.0 (as expected).

The company ended up compiling their results in a witty infographic (which you can find below). This was also tested previously with Rightware’s Browsermark, which hinted towards performance boosts with iOS 5 as well. Many users are content with the performance improvements that iOS 5 has brought to the table, including the increase in web browsing speeds and web app response times.

Have you personally noted a difference after using iOS 5? Let us know!

Source: New Relic (blog)

In my opinion my iPad 2 was slower when It had ios4
    With iOS5 now it is much faster

Wow I just realized i wrote my comment 3 minutes after the article
    was posted on modmyi.
    Last edited by Raybeast; 10-26-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Noticeably faster on my iPad 2. On my iPhone, I had two upgrades: hardware from 4 to 4S and OS from 4 to 5. The speed improvement is significant.

iOS5 is significantly faster on my iP4 and original iPad - and better in so many other ways to.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    On iOS 4.3.3 (ipod touch 4), I had a lot of "lag" issues when I used Reeder and then posted on Tumblr through it. With iOS 5, that lag is almost completely gone. That's the only major speed up i've noticed, but it was a nice surprise.

Banned
    Thanks

I noticed my iPhone 4 was so buggy with IOS5 so I downgraded back to 4.3.3 and its again stable and fast.Its fast on 4.3.3 as its not as buggy so things actually work now.

I also noticed iOS 5 is buggy/glitchy, I freezes from time to time. Most noticeably when I go into pictures, and I turned off pictures stream. Other than that I do like the features and the rest of the performance does seem to be a bit better. I'm sure apple will be coming out with an update soon for miner tweaks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone James360Petty's Avatar
    Thanks

Are we really thinking iOS 5 is buggy? I haven't experienced a single glitch yet and everything seems more streamlined! As for actual performance yes I think iOS 5 has bought something to the table!!

On my iPhone 4, iOS 5 is a huge improvement. IOS 4 gave me much grief with the (lack of) responsiveness to double clicks - that is gone with iOS 5. I have yet to run into any problems. Definitely the best iOS yet.

There have been reports of serious lag in Infinity Blade running on iOS 5. Making the game almost unplayable. For me performance has been about the same. Hopefully an iOS 5 update or game update will resolve this issue.

Gainesville, FL (The Swamp, only Gators get out ALIVE!!)
    Thanks

my whole 3gs is faster on iOS 5 in everything it does in comaprison to iOS 4, won't be downgrading back to iOS 4....... ever......

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That iPhone in the picture seems strangely long...

Default lol
    Quote Originally Posted by babyydaveyy View Post
    That iPhone in the picture seems strangely long...
    i agree lol

Safari on my iPad 1 is quite a bit quicker running 5. It seems a little quicker on my i4 running 5.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Most sites an applications require a javascript engine. iOS5's Safari uses a newer version of the nitro engine and was really worked on for iOS5.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It's funny to me when people say "omg it's so buggy!" and then make no specific references (@NakedFaerie) or there's maybe one thing that might go wrong occasionally (@wdpower). I would ne interested to know how old you are and how many smart phones you've owned (and which ones). If you want to know pain, lag, bugs, utter disaster... go buy a Samsung Blackjack with an older Windows Mobile OS on it.... THEN lets talk the definition of "OMG IT'S SO BUGGY".

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    It's funny to me when people say "omg it's so buggy!" and then make no specific references (@NakedFaerie) or there's maybe one thing that might go wrong occasionally (@wdpower). I would ne interested to know how old you are and how many smart phones you've owned (and which ones). If you want to know pain, lag, bugs, utter disaster... go buy a Samsung Blackjack with an older Windows Mobile OS on it.... THEN lets talk the definition of "OMG IT'S SO BUGGY".
    I agree I had some problems but I did a full restore and now it's way better than iOS 4

I agree

Thanks

Poseidon79 i loved my blackjack but i had one a few years ago and im not sure which WMOS it had on it but it wasn't buggy. The only thing that sucked was the speed when surfing. Again it might be because of the os on it but im not sure which one you are referring to. I do agree though that IOS 5 is not buggy at all... during beta1 it was but not IOS itself, it was the apps that had not been updated that gave me trouble. Made me wait til the GM, as of now no trouble whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    (old man voice)
    Kids these days!

When I was your age, I had to use a Samsung Blackjack "feature phone". I couldn't download anything. The internet sucked. It wouldn't work half the time. And that's the way I liked it!!

Yea I upgraded my iP4 with iOS5 GM and wow it was so much quicker with web browsing and general moving about the OS. Then upgraded my iPad2 to iOS5 and my first impressions of web browsing are just WOW!! I used to limit my web browsing to when I could on a PC as I hated the feel and speed of Safari but now with tabbed browsing and the major speed improvement I happily will sit on the couch and browse the web only 10 feet from my PC.Also on another note I moved to the iP4S just over a week ago and man that's insane browsing speed for a phone. It navigates the web almost as fast as my iPad and therefore have no issue browsing the web on it too!