+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Father of the iPod Changing the World of Home Thermostats

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Tony Fadell is as much a part of Apple's success over the last 10 years as any member of Jobs' executive team. As the VP of the iPod Division Fadell
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Father of the iPod Changing the World of Home Thermostats

Tony Fadell is as much a part of Apple's success over the last 10 years as any member of Jobs' executive team. As the VP of the iPod Division Fadell oversaw the development of the iPod and iPhone between 2001 and 2009, and now he is tackling the next logical product: the home thermostat.

Fadell and partner Matt Rogers (a former engineer at Apple as well) have developed Nest, a new and incredibly smart take on the home thermostat. Described as a "thermostat for the iPhone generation" by Fadell, Nest fuses the simplicity and functionality of the iDevice into a household appliance often taken for granted. The Nest Thermostat includes motion sensors that allow the thermostat to adjust the temperature when people are in the room and can even learn a home owners habits eliminating the need to program thermostats.

"There are no great consumer products in this area. There's an entire generation of folks used to beautiful, intuitive products that are easy to easy and you don't have to go out of your way to work with." — Rogers
    More than looking cool, and being functionally superior Nest will help households save money. The EPA estimates the average household can cut energy bills by up to 30% a year by programming their thermostat. Heating and cooling account for about half of a household's energy use throughout the year, equating to about $1,000 a year. Saving 30% in the first year of use would more than pay for the $250 price tag of Nest.

Nest goes as far as to show owners how much energy they’ve saved from day-to-day, how long it takes to reach the desired temperature, as well as a bevy of other statistics. The custom OS running on the device is incredibly simple to use, and eye-catching as well. I can't say I've imagined a scenario where I'd be excited over a thermostat. Well now I am. More specifically I'm excited to program my thermostat from my iOS device (or Android too).

The Nest thermostat is available for pre-order from the company's website with the first units shipping out November 14 of this year. Nest will be making its way onto Best Buy shelves as well, but the number of stores carrying Nest is currently limited.

Source: CNET
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 10-25-2011 at 03:40 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've never felt this way about a thermostat. #blush

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats freakin' awesome. Essentially its a Apple Thermostat. Hey, maybe eventually we can all get a "iHome"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The world needs more innovations like this. It's very simple, yet efficient. And it's elegant to boot!

Certified KeyboardSmasher Rakim's Avatar
    In Texas behind your computer desk tryin to fix what you have broken!!
    Thanks

Default Wowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    The world needs more innovations like this. It's very simple, yet efficient. And it's elegant to boot!
    Agreed!!!

I Want one........
    Yes Sir.... I "know" you "didn't visit THOSE Kinds of sites" to make your Computer pop up those FILTHY images....
    **As I conduct an emergency disinfect of the "Family PC" Before his wife returns home.**

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice, Now i can set it and forget i even have it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

$249? I'll pass.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just preordered mine! $249 is not much considering other programmable thermostats run you $100+ and they do not have the functionality that this does. Couple that with the cost savings in a year. Smart investment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sTrAnGe mOdS View Post
    Thats freakin' awesome. Essentially its a Apple Thermostat. Hey, maybe eventually we can all get a "iHome"

You do realize that there already is an iHome, for playing music? Maybe an iHouse, or, knowing Apple, iHome 2.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've had one of these for almost 3 months, it is amazing! Love how I can check on and control it from anywhere I am with computer or my phone

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I just pre-ordered mine! Great concept!The story on this item is all over the web as of today so pre-order soon!LOL. Do you think there is gonna be a line at their front door on November 14th like with iDevices?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post

The world needs more innovations like this....

such as our job's.

Let's be real about this he is a boxer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

When it comes out I will be showing my parents this. It is perfectly what they have been looking for. If I had a house I would totally get one or more.

It would be perfect in their home and being able to have more than one to help keep track of the house would be perfect. They go down south a couple times in the winter and with this I could adjust the temp of their house if we have a sudden drop in temp while they are away without me having to drive all the way to their house.

250$ is not much compared to how much some of the programmable ones are.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I just pre-ordered mine! Great concept!The story on this item is all over the web as of today so pre-order soon!LOL. Do you think there is gonna be a line at their front door on November 14th like with iDevices?
    Talk about a little tech obsessed. Find another hobby bro

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aehmlo View Post

You do realize that there already is an iHome, for playing music? Maybe an iHouse, or, knowing Apple, iHome 2.
    You do realize that I was joking and being literal? No need to try to correct me, I'm pretty sure everyone knows of the iHome docks.

8GB iPod Touch 1G: 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.2 > 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0.1 GM RedSn0wed
    16GB iPhone 3G > Sold $375 > iPhone 4: 4.2.8 > 5.0
    32GB iPad: 3.2 > 3.2.1 > Traded For MacBook > Traded + $500 For MacBook Pro

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    $249? I'll pass.
    Check out Honeywell hd wireless. $350+. I'm in the hvac field and 249$ for what this thing does is unreal.just watching the video i thought 500$ at least.

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme84 View Post
    I've had one of these for almost 3 months, it is amazing! Love how I can check on and control it from anywhere I am with computer or my phone
    Howd you get it early?
    Last edited by frankjc81; 10-25-2011 at 09:44 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to frankjc81 For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-25-2011)

Thanks

Huh.
    if Tony was the iPod's Father, does that mean Steve was the Mother?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Howd you get it early?[/QUOTE]

I was apart of the beta test team. It truly is amazing how easy this is to use and the difference it makes for saving energy. This is the coolest thing I've gotten to beta test and is now even cooler knowing that an engineer from apple is the one that made it. I'll definitely be using these in automation systems I install for a living. Only thing I hope they develop are sensors for other rooms for detecting whether your home or not and the ability to communicate between more than one unit in a home.
    Last edited by xtreme84; 10-25-2011 at 11:38 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aehmlo View Post

You do realize that iHome is not made by Apple, or this thermostat?

Thermostat seems pretty neat. But I'm home all the time so I think I'll stick with my cheap and simple one.

Thanks
    I just ordered mine, it said expected shipping date is Nov 28