Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
iPhone Newsforums, a part of the
A new report from Millennial Media is directing the spotlight of the mobile ad industry to the iPhone, iPod, and iPad - three ubiquitous iOS devices that have become top...
10-25-2011, 10:13 AM #1
Mobile Mix Report Highlights Strength of iOS Devices in Mobile Advertising
A new report from Millennial Media is directing the spotlight of the mobile ad industry to the iPhone, iPod, and iPad - three ubiquitous iOS devices that have become top dogs in mobile ad impressions.
The data from independent mobile advertising and data company Millennial Media (The Mobile Mix Q3 Report), shows that iOS impressions have spiked 60% year-over-year, from Q3 2010-Q3 2011. iPad impressions grew 456%, and iPod Touch impressions grew 30% year-over-year. The iPhone accounted for 54% of the iOS impressions on Millennial Media's platform, while the iPod Touch and iPad combined to make up the other 46%.
Apple's nemesis, Android, however, remained the leading mobile operating system on Millennial Media's network in Q3 with 56% of the smartphone/connected device impressions. Android made up 15 of the top 20 phones on Millennial Media's network. HTC had 6 of those phones, and grew over 100% year-over-year as a manufacturer.
When breaking down ad spend on applications, Android apps had a 49% share. This was a 20% growth quarter-over-quarter.
Apple represented 41% of the Application Platform Mix, ranked by ad spend, in Q3. Music & Entertainment took over as the leading Apple application category, despite gaming still leading the iPad application category. In Q3, Apple Mocial (Mobile Social Networking) applications grew 36% quarter-over-quarter.
Source: Millennial Media
10-25-2011, 10:56 AM #2
>500k apps? That's a lot of apps but I'm sure quite a bit of them are trash.
10-25-2011, 11:31 AM #3
Yeah they can all claim they have the most apps...it doesn't matter if only 5% of them work or are legit.
Apple claims the most apps but I bet android has the most that are useful.
10-25-2011, 12:05 PM #4
10-25-2011, 01:41 PM #5
10-25-2011, 01:55 PM #6
10-25-2011, 03:24 PM #7
In my opinion, I think that iOS has slightly more quality apps, and generally apps on the iPhone are more consistent/feel better. There are many and most good apps are available on both platforms, though once in a while there's something like Infinity Blade which (if I remember correctly) is only on the iPhone. Not like those few apps are dealbreakers though.
I think the only other "fact" is that there are more ****** apps on the App Market; not saying it's a bad thing just don't download them.
10-25-2011, 05:19 PM #8
Yep there is no quality control on the Android Market and having owned an iPhone and a Desire HD at the same time I think the Apple App store is much better in terms of searching for a useful app.
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM #9
The Android Market has a much higher % of Free App's but they also have a higher % of Crap Apps. Not to mention
all the ones that have been pulled because of malware.