+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Easily Google Things You Don't Know About With 'DictGoogle'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Easily Google Things You Don't Know About With 'DictGoogle'

DictGoogle will help you educate yourself quickly while you read about things you don't know about.

So what does this tweak do? DictGoogle makes it possible for you to Google anything, from anywhere. It's a very simple, easy to use, and powerful tweak. Best of all? It massages itself into iOS so well that you wouldn't even expect it to not have been made by Apple themselves. It integrates so smoothly into the resources already built into iOS, that anyone could appreciate it.

A light description of the tweak as shown in Cydia can be viewed below:

Now we will actually walk through the features. First, find a word that doesn't make sense to you. For this example, I will be using the word, "customers" on the last article I wrote on Modmyi's homepage because I suddenly decided that I have no idea what a customer is. Hold down on the word to bring up the action menu, and from there tap on, "define" as shown below:

This will bring up the iOS built-in dictionary. It looks just like the dictionary that you had before installing this tweak, the only difference is that you will notice something new in it; an action button. We're going to tap that action button and see what happens:

After you tap the action button Safari will open up and complete a Google search for the word, "customers" as shown below:

DictGoogle will work from almost any app. If you find a word you don't know, and you can highlight it and tap define, then you can DictGoogle it. I know for a fact that it works in Mail, Notes, Safari, and Twitter. I haven't tried any other apps. I really like how it works. If you're looking for a nice little addition to iOS 5, check this tweak out! It's free in the BigBoss repo in Cydia, made by r_plus.

After reaching r_plus by email, I asked a few questions.

Anthony: Would you like to introduce yourself to Modmyi as a developer; tell us what you've created?
    r_plus: I'm the developer of Daijirin ActionMenu Plugin, Sleipnizer for Safari, and BackForwardEnhancer. All of my tweaks except paid ones are open source on github (DictGoogle too). https://github.com/r-plus Thanks to open sourcer on github represented by Ryan Petrich.

Anthony: What was it that made you think about creating this tweak, was there a motivation behind it?
    r_plus: I made, "Daijirin Action Menu Plugin" in last year. That sent selected text to dictionary apps to search to read English articles English isn't my native lang. In iOS 5, it has a new system-wide dictionary; it's so quick and awesome. Just the same, auto selected dictionary may differ from the information I want. So, I want to send a defined word to dictionary apps (e.g. Dictionary.com) and google.

Anthony: How does the tweak actually work?
    r_plus: DictGoogle sends defined words to many apps to search (now supports only google). It's simple.

Anthony: Will you be releasing any future functionality to the tweak? If so what kind?
    r_plus: I will add support for more apps and search engines.

So will you be downloading DictGoogle? If so leave a comment below!

Sources: r_plus

Thanks

I have been coming along an older crowd 50-55 lately me being there to encourage them Into using computers email and make an interaction with each other using Facebook profiles to help and get use to the generald idea of web browsing ... I believe like many .our mobile divices have become come tools for a lot of things ... I personally enjoy pulling out my iPhone4S and ask it how the weather is when I wake up or set a reminder this tweak is an awesome tool for further educating ourselves .... Thank you... Also now being one of the first post I would like to know if any ody was able to untethered jailbreak and unlock iphone3gs 5.0 on a Mac and how? See ladies and gentlemen to be honest am trying to make my mother use useful tools like the iPhone in her everyday routine ... And I have been trying to update and jailbreak her future iPhone 3GS. And keep on getting error 11 or once I turn on tinyumbrlella I get errors 1604... Any suggestions will be greatly apreciated

Thanks

I don't see where or how I can use this tweak so I won't install it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

please, connect it with google translate! that's will be awesome!

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brain_mf View Post

+1. In-app translation is a feature that Apple should have been included with iOS 5.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thekirbylover View Post
    +1. In-app translation is a feature that Apple should have been included with iOS 5.
    O u mean like Siri?

This does everything Siri does
    Ask Siri "what does the word customers mean"

It doesn't include a translator though
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 10-25-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    I don't see where or how I can use this tweak so I won't install it
    Never wanted to google a word?

Fantastic tweak my friend! Although I'd rather just search the word myself. I do see how it's integrated into ios 5 so well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I didn't even know there was a built in ios dictionary *shrug* lol

Thanks

requires iOS 5 + ill defiantly get it when the untethered comes out cuz this is really great in my opinion

Thanks

why do i keep doing this
    Last edited by raduga; 10-25-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    O u mean like Siri?

This does everything Siri does
    Ask Siri "what does the word customers mean"

It doesn't include a translator though
    No one reads my comments anymore dangit

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

I love this tweak