+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Sprint Taking Action for iPhone Users Reporting Slow Data

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

    Default Sprint Taking Action for iPhone Users Reporting Slow Data

    Customers of Sprint that bought the iPhone 4S have been reporting insanely slow 3G data speeds since its launch.

    Speeds have been extremely slow on the iPhone for users on Sprint. The company claimed that they were perfectly capable of handling the extra traffic before the iPhone 4S launch. As a bonus they opted to keep their unlimited data plan in contrast to Verizon and AT&T. This attracted a lot of people to Sprint, but did they bite off more than they could chew?

    Yesterday we reported that Sprint was killing the unlimited data plans of numerous bandwidth hogs including tablets, mobile hotspots, and connect card users. This might have been a move by Sprint to help cause users of major bandwidth volume to back off a little bit – being capped at 5GB instead of having unlimited data, effective starting this November.

    Data speeds from Sprint are undoubtedly slow:


    Now, Sprint and Apple are teaming up to take a closer look at the issue. At the beginning, when users were complaining about data speeds, Sprint denied that there were any issues. However, the volume of users having problems seems to point otherwise – Sprint has finally acknowledged it. The iPhone 4S broke a record for Sprint on its opening day. I doubt Sprint will blow this off. The problem will likely be fixed soon. These 3G speeds aren't as slow on Verizon (also a CDMA carrier), so it seems that the problem isn't the iPhone 4S itself, but rather than Sprint needs to rethink their cellular data system.

    Have you experienced slow speeds on your iPhone on Sprint? Some have reported slow 3G speeds on Sprint before the iPhone was even released. Share below!

    Sources: MacRumors, TNW

  2. #2
    Green Apple shoohorn0plenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I returned my Sprint 4S the day after launch because it was insanely slow. Call quality and reception was fine, but data made dialup speeds seem like a luxury. I'm back with AT&T now, and my data is back to normal (and improved in the office - which is always a good thing).

  3. #3
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I thought Sprint would've been equal or better in terms of speed with Verizon, guess I was wrong. And here I thought I was having it rough with Verizon 3G.

  4. #4
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts

    The sad thing is the upload speed on the top picture is double what my cable at home is giving me. Timewarner Cable Road Runner... terrible upload speeds with decent download speeds.

  5. #5
    The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,127
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts

    Sprint has always been slow, even before the iPhone.

    secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

  6. #6
    iPhoneaholic jose060789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    367
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 52 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Sprint has always been slow, even before the iPhone.
    +1
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

  7. #7
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I thought Sprint would've been equal or better in terms of speed with Verizon, guess I was wrong. And here I thought I was having it rough with Verizon 3G.
    Same here but with AT&T. Even though I had unlimited data with AT&T I wanted to switch and try Sprint. HUGE mistake, I was pulling around .01 megs down and it totally ruined the experience for me. I've had the iPhone since day 1 and I don't remember getting these crappy speeds on edge. Sold the Sprint phones on Friday and jumped back on AT&T. I lost unlimited data and I have Sprint and myself to thank for that!!! Thanks Sprint.... Lol @ that comercial where Sprint advertises unlimited data.... The one showing the phones shooting up and it blowing AT&T and Verizon out of the water.... hahahahahah
    Last edited by frjuan; 10-24-2011 at 06:19 PM.

  8. #8
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    If I had unlimited on AT&T I would've stayed. The speed is amazing, but I always went over 2GB by a little. Like 2.5 and it sucks to have to pay $10 more for it.

    But yeah sucks for you bro, lol. You had it good!

  9. #9
    Green Apple ZĄG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Yeah. I definitely thought I had it bad with Verizon.

  10. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by frjuan View Post
    Same here but with AT&T. Even though I had unlimited data with AT&T I wanted to switch and try Sprint. HUGE mistake, I was pulling around .01 megs down and it totally ruined the experience for me. I've had the iPhone since day 1 and I don't remember getting these crappy speeds on edge. Sold the Sprint phones on Friday and jumped back on AT&T. I lost unlimited data and I have Sprint and myself to thank for that!!! Thanks Sprint.... Lol @ that comercial where Sprint advertises unlimited data.... The one showing the phones shooting up and it blowing AT&T and Verizon out of the water.... hahahahahah
    If you want AT&T unlimited data just put a new sim card in your original iPhone and activate it then once you have unlimited edge get a micro sim card for iPhone 4S and call AT&T to activate it. Enjoy unlimited data on AT&T's "4G".

  11. #11
    What's Jailbreak? nipsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    to be honest i havent had a problem and im in chicago

  12. #12
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts

    I love sprint but I have to admit their network has been going south lately. I've patiently waited for the iphone for years and now that it's available on sprint i'm like the happiest kid on the block but the network has really been killing the user experience. My friend has a AT&T iPhone 4 (no S) and I keep checking in with him to see if the network is down or the app store is down etc. We both accomplish the same tasks and while my phone loads things up twice as fast it's stuck pulling data from the net 10 times slower.

    It took me 20 seconds just to see what new updates I had available and it took his phone about 3 seconds.

    We both downloaded the same app and he was done downloading before my phone even attempted to start the download.

    *sigh* I'll just have to accept "Sprint speed". I'm not complaining since i'm getting what I pay for. 50$ a month for a iphone ain't too shabby.

    I know I could pay 100$ a month like my friends on AT&T and get 10 times the speed but i'm getting what I pay for so no complaints.

  13. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Covina, CA
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kory569 View Post
    If you want AT&T unlimited data just put a new sim card in your original iPhone and activate it then once you have unlimited edge get a micro sim card for iPhone 4S and call AT&T to activate it. Enjoy unlimited data on AT&T's "4G".
    Sure you'll get unlimited data but what about mms? The original iPhone doesn't support it. Good luck getting past that....

  14. #14
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kory569 View Post
    If you want AT&T unlimited data just put a new sim card in your original iPhone and activate it then once you have unlimited edge get a micro sim card for iPhone 4S and call AT&T to activate it. Enjoy unlimited data on AT&T's "4G".
    Shhhhhh!!!!!
    MMS works like a charm, BTW.

  15. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I returned my on day 14 (Today) thank god I kept my unlimited plan from AT&T... Im just going to wait for the iPhone 5.. the 4 I have isn't much different from the 4s.. I can live without Siri till then.. Plus the inability to not surf and talk was a killer... I couldnt give it up.. I waited almost 2 hours in a sprint corporate store to cancel.. it was lame.. I give sprint less then 2 years before merger or buy out.smh

  16. #16
    iPhoneaholic jose060789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    367
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 52 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ibwizzle View Post
    sure you'll get unlimited data but what about mms? The original iphone doesn't support it. Good luck getting past that....
    fail.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

  17. #17
    iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    157
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Epic fail... I'm lucky I stuck with AT&T... I still have unlimited data and damn would I be paying a fortune if I didn't have it...

    But even if you fake out AT&T by using the above method to get unlimited data, won't they notice after a couple days/weeks of usage with the new phone and automatically change you over to the capped plan?

  18. #18
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    Sure you'll get unlimited data but what about mms? The original iPhone doesn't support it. Good luck getting past that....

    I have 5 lines on AT&T all 3 iPhone 4 and 2 iPhone 4Ss. Only I was grandfathered on my unlimited but 2 people were currently on my line and I just switched their lines over to an old regular motorola razor with no data then used iPhone 2G to get their unlimited plans after you just either cut your sim to fit iPhone 4 or 4S or buy a new sim and have them activate it and switch IMEI # to new phone an bam their unlimited. As for the other two lines I just went to AT&T and had add a line to my account and once I had the sim I went home plugged iPhone 2G up to iTunes an there is where I activated and got unlimited data plans for them as well. So needless to say my Dad enjoyed his father's day gift and he doesn't blow my pocket up tethering his phone with MyWi. So Basically it is possible to get your unlimited data plan back even if you don't have it. I only had to deal with them on one line as I had trouble activating but found out AT&T actually have a dedicated team that handle iPhone 2G activations so if there is any issue when you call ask to speak with them or call apple and they will get them on the phone. That's how I found out about this special department.

    Hope this helps and if you have any questions ask me or if you need help getting your unlimited plan as i Have a iPhone 2G and have had numerous success at obtaining unlimited plans. ))

  19. #19
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SoldierRican View Post
    I have 5 lines on AT&T all 3 iPhone 4 and 2 iPhone 4Ss. Only I was grandfathered on my unlimited but 2 people were currently on my line and I just switched their lines over to an old regular motorola razor with no data then used iPhone 2G to get their unlimited plans after you just either cut your sim to fit iPhone 4 or 4S or buy a new sim and have them activate it and switch IMEI # to new phone an bam their unlimited. As for the other two lines I just went to AT&T and had add a line to my account and once I had the sim I went home plugged iPhone 2G up to iTunes an there is where I activated and got unlimited data plans for them as well. So needless to say my Dad enjoyed his father's day gift and he doesn't blow my pocket up tethering his phone with MyWi. So Basically it is possible to get your unlimited data plan back even if you don't have it. I only had to deal with them on one line as I had trouble activating but found out AT&T actually have a dedicated team that handle iPhone 2G activations so if there is any issue when you call ask to speak with them or call apple and they will get them on the phone. That's how I found out about this special department.

    Hope this helps and if you have any questions ask me or if you need help getting your unlimited plan as i Have a iPhone 2G and have had numerous success at obtaining unlimited plans. ))
    All I have to say is WAOW I soo wish I could do this with 3g or wish I had my old 2g..
    how much would an old 2g cost any ideas?

  20. #20
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vavi View Post
    All I have to say is WAOW I soo wish I could do this with 3g or wish I had my old 2g..
    how much would an old 2g cost any ideas?
    I paid $50 off Craigslist for mine but if you PM me we can get together an I can do it for ya. I'm located in North Carolina by Greensboro an all I would need is a SIM card and a little of your time an we could get it done. As long as you are the Account holder of course.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts