+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BigBoss Releases Semi-Tethered Jailbreak Tool

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
BigBoss offers a somewhat convenient solution for Tethered jailbreaks on iOS 5. Have you ever been in the situation where your iPod or iPhone is running a tethered jailbreak and
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default BigBoss Releases Semi-Tethered Jailbreak Tool

BigBoss offers a somewhat convenient solution for Tethered jailbreaks on iOS 5.

Have you ever been in the situation where your iPod or iPhone is running a tethered jailbreak and then the battery dies, or you are forced to reboot it after problems, or after installing a tweak that needs a reboot? Has this ever happened to you in a place where there isn't a computer available with Redsn0w for you to use? BigBoss has a solution that will at least make your device usable until you get the chance to boot tethered using Redsn0w again.

Usually when your iDevice powers off after being jailbroken tethered, you will be unable to power it on. It will hang on the Apple logo forever. It turns off fine, but it won't turn on. This new tweak available for free from BigBoss will allow you to reboot your iDevice and use every stock app on the iDevice. There are of course, some caveats to this, because nothing this awesome can be flawproof – you will not be able to use Mail and Safari until you boot tethered. This brings more convenience to your tethered jailbreak. Say your iPhone dies and you need to make a call, but you don't have a computer to boot tethered and all you have is a wall charger. If you charge it up, you will be able to turn it on (jailbreak tweaks and settings will be dormant and unusable until you boot tethered) and you will be able to text and make phone calls regardless of having been tethered. The iDevice will take just a tad longer to boot up than normal, but this is expected. This is the hack taking its effect on the device.

How Do I get it?
    You won't find it in the main BigBoss repo. You will need to add the following repo:
    http://thebigboss(dot)org/semitether/
    (that is a "." instead of a "(dot)" of course – I used the parenthesis for linking purposes.)

When you add that repo, install the Semi-tether from it, then reboot, then boot tethered. You are now Semi-tethered and will be able to reboot your iDevice in a Semi-tethered state.

Personally, I am unable to connect to iTunes with my iPod Touch 4G after installing this, as well as a couple of friends of mine. iTunes brings up an error saying that it cannot connect to the iPod Touch. This isn't much of a problem though, since most of my syncing is done over the cloud and my iPod Touch running iOS 5 is PC-free. So if you are worried about the iTunes error, don't be. You really don't even need iTunes anymore.

So just to repeat on the upsides to this. You will be able to call/text, download apps/media, listen to music. You just won't be able to surf the web or send/read email until you boot tethered again. The idea of this release is to allow you to get out of the tether loop so that you can at least use your device if it is an emergency. Once you boot tethered again, you will be able to use your jailbreak downloads as usual. Nothing will be lost.

So will you be installing the Semi-Tether on your iDevice? Are you happy that something of this nature was released? Share a comment below!

Sources: BigBoss
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-23-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

Very useful. Installed it on my iPhone 4 to try it. Works well. Cannot sync to iTunes after either though, get an error 0xE800065.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

awesome. i guess there's no dual-boot mode yet? JB vs Stock...

Thanks

"You are not Semi-tethered and will be able to reboot your iDevice in a Semi-tethered state." not = now ?

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 710 Posts

if the BigBoss can get this to work with every tethered Jailbreak it will be invaluable, imho

because if your out and about and you install something from Cydia that requires you to reboot at least you'll be able to use your phone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    "You are not Semi-tethered and will be able to reboot your iDevice in a Semi-tethered state." not = now ?
    Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

This was in place for awhile I been noticed this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

I was wrong...I didn't tip MMI off...
    Last edited by thazsar; 10-23-2011 at 12:42 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's very cool. It is certainly useful.
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Banned
    Thanks

I went back to 4.3.3 and waiting for a full unteather and 5.01 before I upgrade. 5.0 is way too buggy.

Thanks

I like this very much. Thanks 👊💢

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I think untethered JB is on the way. Thanks BIG BOSS !

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Why can't people just be patient and wait for a Jailbreak. I really want Siri on i4 and don't mind waiting. I just hope it comes out by Halloween.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So, I was thinking. with all the tethered boots, someone should figure out how to store the boot stuff in the Clouds. No more tethers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Turned me down when I found out I couldn't sync with iTunes. Either way, I might end up jailbreaking and installing this tweak any way. Would apps like iFile still work when you reboot?

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

I reckon we'll get an untether for all devices at or around christmas, this way alot of people have the new devices (i4s/ipad2) and as many people possible can use it while it's action. by then I think we'll have a 5.0.3

Green Apple
    Thanks
    OK so I installed this but it won't leave the apple logo after reboot. I can hear everything else (voice control, taking a screenshot) but will not leave the apple logo. Rebooted twice, still nothing. Don't try it until it's out of beta.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unreach View Post
    OK so I installed this but it won't leave the apple logo after reboot. I can hear everything else (voice control, taking a screenshot) but will not leave the apple logo. Rebooted twice, still nothing. Don't try it until it's out of beta.
    You need to boot tethered before you try it. Works fine for me after that.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    You need to boot tethered before you try it. Works fine for me after that.
    I meant, I boot tethered twice instead of rebooted twice. Sorry.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast