+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Begins Marketing iPhone 4S as 4G Smartphone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The evil phone company bewilders ignorant phone buyers once more. A while back we reported on AT&T trying to convince Apple to release a software update that would display a
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T Begins Marketing iPhone 4S as 4G Smartphone

The evil phone company bewilders ignorant phone buyers once more.

A while back we reported on AT&T trying to convince Apple to release a software update that would display a 4G indicator in the iPhone 4S's status bar. AT&T wanted to do this because AT&T's HSPA+ network is fast enough to be considered 4G, despite the compelling fact the iPhone 4S operates on a 3G radio. People who are blissfully unaware of the difference would then buy the product thinking that it was a 4G device.

The iPhone 4S's HSPA+ connection allows for a download speed of up to 14.4Mb/s. Whereas the iPhone 4 was capable of only 7.2Mb/s. The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) made alterations to their little network manual that states that the definition of 4G service is to include WiMax, LTE and HSPA+. That being said, AT&T does have the right to market the device as a device capable of 4G speeds, but while that may be the fact, it's still bittersweet in that it's operating on a 3G radio. This is the beef of most people reading about this.

AT&T has finally begun marketing their iPhone 4S as a 4G phone. Their website can be viewed here. It should be noted that the posting of the iPhone 4S is not a mistake. AT&T intentionally plans to sell the iPhone 4S as a 4G phone because of HSPA+. If you're in disagreement with AT&T's decision, you're not alone. Millions of customers, as well as some of AT&T's sales representatives will agree that it's not a very fair judgement. When asked, an AT&T sales representative stated that the iPhone 4S runs on more of a 3.5G network than a 4G network (just to be fair of course).

So will you be buying a 4G-equipped iPhone 4S anytime soon? If so you'd be the first.

Sources: AT&T

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

So now I'm confused. It will say 3G next to AT&T right or did Apple actually allow them to have 4G?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    So now I'm confused. It will say 3G next to AT&T right or did Apple actually allow them to have 4G?
    Nope it will still say 3G because Apple hasn't updated the firmware yet.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Does it really matter? True 4G doesn't exist yet. It's a standard that no one lives up to, so what radio each phone uses doesn't matter and if one company can call 14Mbit 4G, then everyone can.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Does it really matter? True 4G doesn't exist yet. It's a standard that no one lives up to, so what radio each phone uses doesn't matter and if one company can call 14Mbit 4G, then everyone can.
    I agree.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Nope it will still say 3G because Apple hasn't updated the firmware yet.

So Apple will be releasing a firmware update that allows it to say 4G. That was the original thought I had

I do agree, it isn't true 4G, but for marketing purposes if a company does technically fall under all requirements, they will take all steps to allow them to succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Everything is 3.xG the 4G standard hasn't been implemented yet its just a marketing scheme that if one carrier does it they all have to to do it to compete even though they are all lieing through their teeth. check out this article to clarify what everything actually is. 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

I know I sound super clueless but can someone give me an explanation on what is 3G and what 4G.All I know is 3G you pay monthly and get internet anywhere.Whats 3G actually though, and what is 4G?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It should say HSPA+ if anything, not 4G as its simply theoretical.

Thanks

Well slap sum bunnie ears on a turtle n' call em a rabbit! Yee haw!

Green Apple
    Thanks

It would be nice if they simply put a "+" instead of always showing 3G. I'd like to know when I am getting the better speeds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

false advertisement smh att does it again

Thanks

Well since the 4G qualifications have been change by a bunch of idiots, it is 4G
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

True 4G doesn't exist yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    it isn't true 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by eightyk88 View Post
    It should say HSPA+ if anything, not 4G as its simply theoretical.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevouredDreams View Post
    false advertisement smh att does it again
    Quote Originally Posted by tripletray39 View Post
    Everything is 3.xG the 4G standard hasn't been implemented yet its just a marketing scheme that if one carrier does it they all have to to do it to compete even though they are all lieing through their teeth. check out this article to clarify what everything actually is. 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I will try to clarify this as simply as I can:

The "4G standard" does not exist.

The ITU standard IMT-2000 defines characteristics of what most people think of as 3G, although 3G and 2.5G, 3.5G, etc. are not terms that are defined by any formal standards body. They are common language terms. As an example EDGE meets these characteristics but is generally not referred to as 3G as it does not meet the common use of the term.

The ITU standard IMT-Advanced defines characteristics not yet matched by current mobile technology. When companies (starting with Sprint in the US) began using the term 4G to refer to their current offerings, the ITU basically released a press release saying the standard is called IMT-Advanced, and any use of the undefined term "4G" was done at the discretion of providers to refer to things faster than their original IMT-2000 offerings (which remember, includes EDGE).

So I say there is no such thing as 4G standard as it is not ever going to be standardized.

The standard is called IMT-Advanced.

The term "high speed Internet" is more of a standard than the term 4G as there are actual limits on it's use in advertising here in the US.

4G is a meaningless marketing term. Pass it on.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

does it really matter? If it performs at 4G speeds then what's the problem?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes. Even though the definition of 4G has changed anyone who believes HSPA+ and even LTE is 4G is kidding themselves.

People need to put one thing in their minds, 4G does not exist yet. The original (and in my mind the only) definition of 4G was set to be LTE-Advanced (Which reaches 1 gbps and has been demonstrated recently by Ericsson) and some form of Wimax.

The fact that companies can call HSPA+ and LTE is a stupid technicality which exists because stupid companies are too greedy (Surprise, Surprise) and the ITU probably crumbled under their lobbyists.

Fact is IMT-Advanced = Real 4G and nothing else. Don't take my word from it, just look it up yourselves.

Regards
    NooK

Quote Originally Posted by norfskate View Post
    does it really matter? If it performs at 4G speeds then what's the problem?
    Really? Does it do 100 mbit while moving and 1 gbps standing still?

Thanks

Isn't T-Mobile's entire "Nations largest 4G Network" built on the HSPA+ standard?!

Besides, I don't give a crap really, as long as I'm getting faster speeds! Lol
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    ....and any use of the undefined term "4G" was done at the discretion of providers....
    Actually from what I understand the definition of 4G does exist and is done by ITU but it has been changed.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/ITU-says-LTE-WiMax-and-HSPA--are-now-officially-4G_id15435

Quote Originally Posted by Raybeast View Post
    I know I sound super clueless but can someone give me an explanation on what is 3G and what 4G.All I know is 3G you pay monthly and get internet anywhere.Whats 3G actually though, and what is 4G?
    3G and/or 4G has nothing to do with how much you pay. They are both standards for mobile networks. It's like USB 1.0 and 2.0, they both have to perform similar tasks but 2.0 gives you much faster speed and more benefits and eventually ends up replacing 1.0 completely (but until then both co-exist).

3G and 4G are in the same situation. They are both mobile standards and basically refer to the order they came. The "G" stands for generation, so 4G means the 4th generation of mobile network technology.

4G has as some of its goals to allow for 1gbps speeds (100 mb at high speed movement) and much lower latency. As most transitions, initially you will find that 4G, as the new kid on the block, will be much less accessible and will not have as much coverage area compared to 3G but eventually this is a problem that goes away.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by NooK; 10-22-2011 at 05:43 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Pretty sure Verizon LTE is a true 4G connection at over 20Mbps.