+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Begins Marketing iPhone 4S as 4G Smartphone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If other companies can call what they have 4G then in all fairness so can AT&T. Is it right? No...but is it fair to consumers? I think so. As far
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If other companies can call what they have 4G then in all fairness so can AT&T. Is it right? No...but is it fair to consumers? I think so. As far as the typical consumer is concerned if its twice as fast then it's 4G. They don't care if it's HSPA+ or LTE. It's twice as fast, what it's called is meaningless. When and if a true 4G ever comes about then name it something else and watch everyone flock to their provider for the new and faster phone. I for one prefer this because it's available almost everywhere immediately.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Well since the 4G qualifications have been change by a bunch of idiots, it is 4G
    lol

Thanks

When At&t shows me anything more than 3mb sec consistently I'll be happy. Their 3g or 3.5g SUCKS! is anyone getting anywhere near these 14.4 MBs speeds?Hell, Id be happy with the 7.2The best I've ever had EVER is somewhere around 4MBs with my 4s. I'd love to see some real speed tests that get 14!Smitty

Thanks

Um, Verizon lies and says their highspeed 3G is 4G too so I don't really see why people single out AT&T

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    I agree.
    +3

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't care what they label it as, I just wish they could pull their heads out long enough to get my phone to me that I ordered at 4am on the 7th!

Banned
    Thanks

Thats another reason why the iPhone is behind the others on the market. While other phone companies are all releasing 4G phones crApple stay at 3G.

No wonder people are leaving apple and going elsewhere.

I still love the way to jailbreak an android. tick the box. LOL
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 10-22-2011 at 09:18 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Programming error
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    So now I'm confused. It will say 3G next to AT&T right or did Apple actually allow them to have 4G?
    I guess there is a programming error, instead of declaring it 3.5 G it will round up to 4 G poor mans programming skills.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Does it really matter? True 4G doesn't exist yet. It's a standard that no one lives up to, so what radio each phone uses doesn't matter and if one company can call 14Mbit 4G, then everyone can.
    My signature is compliant with every standard on the market.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

[QUOTE=So I say there is no such thing as 4G standard as it is not ever going to be standardized.[/QUOTE]

^...? This I doubt friend

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I love how everyone is assuming that the phone carrier is behind this. Think about it, if the phone company already has 5 or more other phones that are 4G phones (which I am aware is not actually the IEEE 4G standard) do you think that the phone company will be the one losing out? No, because they can just sell a samsung or motorola with 4g. Apple is obviously behind this in a big way since they have the most to gain from advertising their phone as a 4g phone. If the iPhone was advertised as 3g the customer would just buy a different phone with 4g from the same carrier, whereas apple loses out on the sale altogether.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kieranl89 View Post
    I love how everyone is assuming that the phone carrier is behind this. Think about it, if the phone company already has 5 or more other phones that are 4G phones (which I am aware is not actually the IEEE 4G standard) do you think that the phone company will be the one losing out? No, because they can just sell a samsung or motorola with 4g. Apple is obviously behind this in a big way since they have the most to gain from advertising their phone as a 4g phone. If the iPhone was advertised as 3g the customer would just buy a different phone with 4g from the same carrier, whereas apple loses out on the sale altogether.
    Um I disagree with that. Apple really doesn't have much to gain from them stating it as 4G or 3G. If that was the case then they would have been saying that all over the "Let's Talk iPhone" event. And numerous times they've stated 4G sucks up battery life and the chip is too big for the moment. I just couldn't see them being behind this after all that. And if that was the case why have they sold more iPhones than they ever have and why are the service providers saying it's the best selling phone on their respective networks. If anything AT&T is behind this. I could care less cause none of the networks provide a "true 4G" experience. I would just like to know if i'm in an area that's providing me a faster speed, so i'm all for them providing a 3.5G, H+, or whatever symbol they want. The highest speed i've seen from AT&T for my 4S is about 3.2Mbps with a consistent rate of 2.5Mbps but yet there network coverage map has a dark blue, indicating hspa+, around my area. i'm confused.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

ATT is bunch of scams, to pull you into their want to be 4G network and tie you with their service that's never the same at the end of the month.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frail1 View Post
    I don't care what they label it as, I just wish they could pull their heads out long enough to get my phone to me that I ordered at 4am on the 7th!
    Well put! Lol

I'm in the same boat. Mine does however show to have shipped out today.

For those on AT&T that get slow speed, I don't know where you are obv. But, I get a consistent 800KB download on my 4S. But I am also, right in the middle of Fort Worth Texas. Hopefully your speeds increase soon. Because 800KB is damn sure good enough for me.

That's 200KB higher than the damn DSL I just canceled from AT&T. Lol. Obv not U-Verse speeds.... But on a phone... Yeah, I'll take it.
    Last edited by Turnamental; 10-23-2011 at 02:24 AM.
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

Thanks

Let's talk real world speeds hear. My iPad should be able to get up to 7.2mbps, if I am not mistaken, but get less than half of that! Why are we advertising theoretical speeds? Those mean absolutely nothing to me. I would love to see a carrier that shows average speeds for your area when you see what type of coverage they offer. 4G means nothing now since the carriers marketing teams realized that the average joe has no clue what 4G means, so they will exploit that ignorance with a bunch of BS! Gaw! Aren't they required now to state what the speeds are when they make up new generations of wireless service? Wouldn't 3G+ be more appropriate here? It's a win-win; carriers get to lie about how insanely fast your phones internets are be, and they are technically right. :-P

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsolman View Post
    Well slap sum bunnie ears on a turtle n' call em a rabbit! Yee haw!
    Lol

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3k2 View Post
    Um I disagree with that. Apple really doesn't have much to gain from them stating it as 4G or 3G. If that was the case then they would have been saying that all over the "Let's Talk iPhone" event. And numerous times they've stated 4G sucks up battery life and the chip is too big for the moment. I just couldn't see them being behind this after all that. And if that was the case why have they sold more iPhones than they ever have and why are the service providers saying it's the best selling phone on their respective networks. If anything AT&T is behind this. I could care less cause none of the networks provide a "true 4G" experience. I would just like to know if i'm in an area that's providing me a faster speed, so i'm all for them providing a 3.5G, H+, or whatever symbol they want. The highest speed i've seen from AT&T for my 4S is about 3.2Mbps with a consistent rate of 2.5Mbps but yet there network coverage map has a dark blue, indicating hspa+, around my area. i'm confused.
    Not necessarily. First, only ATT has said 4G. That would alienate their newcomers Sprint and Verizon. Furthermore I do not believe any other markets are calling HSPA+ 4G. That would just confuse the rest of the world. "Let's talk iPhone" is a worldwide unvailing, not just for the US, therefore they spoke of the iPhone 4S in ways that would be accurate no matter what carrier you are on. Not saying Apple is actually behind this 4G marketing ploy, but your reasons for them NOT being behind it are significantly flawed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Let's talk real world speeds hear. My iPad should be able to get up to 7.2mbps, if I am not mistaken, but get less than half of that! Why are we advertising theoretical speeds? Those mean absolutely nothing to me. I would love to see a carrier that shows average speeds for your area when you see what type of coverage they offer. 4G means nothing now since the carriers marketing teams realized that the average joe has no clue what 4G means, so they will exploit that ignorance with a bunch of BS! Gaw! Aren't they required now to state what the speeds are when they make up new generations of wireless service? Wouldn't 3G+ be more appropriate here? It's a win-win; carriers get to lie about how insanely fast your phones internets are be, and they are technically right. :-P
    Even average speeds per area is tough. Mid-day is different than middle of the night. Weekend is different than weekday. Things may even change significantly month to month. If you live in a college town that's big on football, you will have different speeds during home games than away. Bottom line is you won't please everybody. This is the same as DSL/CABLE providers. They tell you theoretical speeds but you are lucky to reach them in peak times. It is what it is, and it always has been. Not worth time time and energy for these providers to be constantly updating this information as things change either.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NooK View Post
    Actually from what I understand the definition of 4G does exist and is done by ITU but it has been changed.

ITU says LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ are now officially 4G
    If you read the ITU press release linked from that article, they say "IMT-Advanced is considered as 4G, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies"

So they're not defining it, and they're not changing it's defenition. They only refer to the term 4G once, in quotes, while explicitly saying it's undefined, and may be used to refer to "3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed." (which remember, includes EDGE)

I agree with what you say comprises IMT-Advanced, I just think 4G is a completely useless term now as the ITU-R has said it's undefined and can be used to refer to third generations systems (you'll notice they also avoid using the term 3G).
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks