+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Free Notification Center Widget Round-Up

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Get information on six new and free Notification Center widgets Over the past week or so, various developers have been racing to put out their first (or one of many)
    Thanks

Default Free Notification Center Widget Round-Up

Get information on six new and free Notification Center widgets

Over the past week or so, various developers have been racing to put out their first (or one of many) Notification Center widget(s). Naturally, since the Notification Center is new territory and seemingly an easy place to start off, there's been a huge jump in widgets released for the Notification Center. Some are paid, some are free, but nonetheless, I'm sure its been filling our "Changes" log in Cydia to an exuberant extent. Instead of doing one article per, since many of them are rather simple, I will be doing what I call an "Widget Round-up" to discuss the six new Notification widget that just popped up in Cydia. Without further to do, let's get started:

Note: To enable any Notification Center widgets/add-ons, simply go to Settings -> Notifications -> (X). Notification Center widgets are available on devices that are jailbroken and on iOS 5 (5.x) only (with the exception of native widgets that come with iOS 5).

Also: Whether you call them WeeApps, add-ons, or widgets, they are all the same thing. It's your personal preference in terms of what they are called.

NotiCall:

With NotiCall, you can have your Favorite Contacts from your Phone.app right in the Notification Center. Upon enabling the widget inside Notifications, you can view and access the buttons inside the Notification Center. It works with contact photos as well as without.

To be completely honest, I didn't find any pros to this widget. Here are my cons:

Cons:
    • When you have no contact photo, all it shows is the person's name and not the number. This is kind of difficult, especially for someone like me who has three phone numbers for his dad in his Favorites. There's no way of distinguishing them
    • If you do have a contact photo for a contact in your Favorites, no name or info is displayed on the button at all. All that is shown is a photo. That makes things super difficult to remember what icons goes to what number as well as the fact that it is a small button with a small image
    • You have to respring every time you change something about a favorite (such as add a new one, delete one, give one a contact photo, etc.) in order for it to take effect inside the Notification Center
    • There are other applications, such Favorite Contacts and WeeSpeeddial for Notification Center, that charge little money but add a ton of functionality beyond just what Noticall has to offer
    Ultimately the decision to use a widget is your choice, however I don't find it useful whatsoever. You must have an iPhone on iOS 5 to use this widget.

Name: NotiCall
    Author: dcampogiani
    Version: 1.0.0
    Price: Free

SlideCenter for Notification Center

SlideCenter offers a miniature slideshows of photos inside your Notification Center. SlideCenter pulls photos to use for the slideshow from the following places:

/var/mobile/Media/PhotoData/Sync/ (Photos synced from your computer)
    /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100Apple/ (Camera Roll on device)

SlideCenter simply cycles through all the photos you have in those particular areas inside the Notification Center tab. If you have it open long enough, you can watch it go through all your photos.

Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
    • SlideCenter offers something unique, something that hasn't been done before in the Notification Center. If you are a photo lover, this might be a cool feature
    • It pulls pictures from both your Camera Roll and the photos you sync from your device
    Cons:
    • Due to how small the Notification Center is, the slideshow only shows part of your picture. Depending on the layout of your picture, SlideCenter completely cuts off an important part of a photo
    • SlideCenter cycles photos on its own and you can't swipe through pictures manually
    • You can't define the amount of seconds that each picture takes before switching. Initially, it lacks a lot of options
    If you find this tweak of interest to you, go download from Cydia now. It is available on all iOS 5 devices.

Name: SlideCenter for Notification Center
    Author: Mathieu Bolard (mattlawer)
    Version: 1.0-1

ScreenLock for Notification Center:

With ScreenLock, you can lock screen rotation on your device right from the Notification Center. All you do is simply tap the icon on the box to lock or unlock rotation. If its locked, you can't change orientation (i.e. if you lock in portrait, you can't rotate, or vice versa).

Similar to NotiCall, I did not find this widget useful. Here are my cons:

Cons:
    • Because ScreenLock only offers one simple feature, it doesn't seem worth it to download. You can just as easily access rotation lock by activating your App Switcher and toggling it from there
    • Widgets take up a lot of space, so its a good idea to keep your Notification Center tidy. This button only takes up maybe 25% of the space its allocated. My feeling is, "why take up so much space for such a tiny button?"
    • This widget could potentially be useful in the future, but it needs to add some new features or functionalities to make it worthwhile
    Although my feeling on this widget is my opinion, it is ultimately your choice to download.

Name: ScreenLock for Notification Center
    Author: Manuel Gebele
    Version: 0.0.1-1

Respring for Notification Center:

Respring for Notification Center offers a quick button to respring your device. For jailbroken devices, having the ability to respring can come in handy quite often. When you have it enabled, you simply tap the respring area to respring your device. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
    • If you're a minimalist and you don't like all the crazy features applications like SBSettings, SpringPrefs, and PowerCenter have to offer, this might be a viable option
    Cons:
    • Since this widget only has the respring capability, it takes up a lot of space for one thing
    • Applications such as SBSettings, SpringPrefs, and PowerCenter offer a lot more and utilizie all the space they are allocated. There's really no difference in terms of file space taken and its always nice to have more options when certain situations arise

You can download this widget right now off of Cydia. It's available on all iOS 5 devices.

Name: Respring for Notification Center
    Author: Aleksander Azizi
    Version: 0.1-1

QuickNote for Notification Center:

If you're one to write down notes often to refer to, QuickNote gives you an option to do so directly from the Notification Center. Simply tap inside the allocated note space and start typing. When you're done, simply hit "Done."

Pros:
    • From a simplicity standpoint, QuickNote offers a simple way of writing down something to "note" or remember
    Cons:
    • The "Done" button seems to be extremely unresponsive. When testing this, it took longer for me to actually get out of the composition view than it was running through any of the other components of the widget. It tapped numerous times on the "Done" and after a while, it finally closed. There were times that I even closed the Notification Center in order to get out of it
    • With the Notes.app as well as the new Reminders.app, it would be just as easy to add whatever you need there. Since QuickNote doesn't offer any other options than typing, it would just be better to use the stock applications instead
    • It would be nice for QuickNote to have a method of quickly deleting a note. The only way to remove what you've typed is to delete manually
    • It would nice to have a way to swipe between notes. That way, you could have multiple things written down and you can cycle through them. Right now, you're only able to type inside that one window. Thus, you would have to jam all that you want inside just that one window
    Download from Cydia now if you wish to give it a shot. It's available for all iOS 5 devices.

Name: QuickNote for Notification Center
    Author: Joseph Fabisevich
    Version: 1.0.3-2

MyIP for Notification Center:

Display your local IP address from your device inside the Notification Center. If enabled, a little box inside the Notification Center will show you your local IP address. This can come in handy if you're needing to know your IP address for purposes of SSHing into your device.

Pros:
    • It's simple and displays just the IP. Some people don't really care to know other values for their device, so this is a viable option
    Cons:
    • Again, it doesn't offer anything else other than just your local IP. Applications like SBSettings, SpringPrefs, and PowerCenter offer that and much more
    It's available on all iOS 5 devices. Download it if you find it useful.

Name: MyIP for Notification Center
    Author: Ryan Burke
    Version: 1.0-1

WeeKillBackground for Notification Center:

Having the ability to kill all background applications from the Notification Center has been a feature people have been asking for. That was one complaint about widgets such as WidgetTask. Now, you're able to utilize a widget that fixes that potential issue

With WeeKillBackground installed, simply open the Notification Center and tap the bar to kill all the background applications.

Since WeeKillBackground only has one feature and purpose, I had one pro.

Pros:
    • Applications such as WidgetTask don't have a kill all background application feature. WeeKillBackground now offers that. It will be a good companion to applications that mirror the iOS dock in the Notification Center
    It's available on all iOS 5 devices so go get it now if you wish.

Name: WeeKillBackground for Notification Center
    Author: Jonas Gessner (Maxner)
    Version: 0.0.1

What are your thoughts? How do you feel about the whole "Notification Center widget" ordeal? Post your thoughts here!
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 10-22-2011 at 01:31 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I've noticed that IF you have a notification theme applied through Winterboard (black, aluminum, etc.. These themes change the BG of the notification bar from the stock apple folder, multitasking, notification skin to black, aluminum, chrome, etc...) that the widgets will not work and will put your phone into a safe mode loop until you uninstall it through cydia.

If anybody knows how to fix this issue please post and PM to let me know because I would really like to use some of these widgets but really dislike the stock apple BG's.

Thanks
    Last edited by PoEtikly; 10-22-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 588 Posts

As far as I know
    A lot of NC tweaks require u to hold a button for it to work.
    Maybe that's the bug with quick note
    Most of these are old, keep that in mind...this was just the start of of stuff for NC so they're still learning how to get stuff working in there

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What about UISettings?!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PathKiller29 View Post
    As far as I know
    Most of these are old, keep that in mind...this was just the start of of stuff for NC so they're still learning how to get stuff working in there
    You are correct. That's because apple screwed up with touch events in the NC. Qwertyoruiop wrote a little button hack for it to work as normal if you add it to the code.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PathKiller29 View Post
    As far as I know
    I tried it all. Not responsive nonetheless (at least not for QuickNote).

Thanks

Are you talking about with or without the themes applied? I tried the battery widget and the music widget and neither of them would work with the NC theme applied.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dudeski's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't have any NC theme applied, don't even have winterboard installed, and weekillbackground safe modes my sh!t.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dudeski View Post
    I don't have any NC theme applied, don't even have winterboard installed, and weekillbackground safe modes my sh!t.
    Oh, well then it's probably not the theme that is effecting the NC Widgets. Did I read something in an earlier reply that there is a button or sequence of buttons that you have to hit for activation?

Also, this is off topic, but did you get a camera button on your lockscreen after updating to 5.0? I've seen where some people say they have, but I surely didnt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    Oh, well then it's probably not the theme that is effecting the NC Widgets. Did I read something in an earlier reply that there is a button or sequence of buttons that you have to hit for activation?

Also, this is off topic, but did you get a camera button on your lockscreen after updating to 5.0? I've seen where some people say they have, but I surely didnt.
    There are certain applications that remove that ability due to how they function. Do you have an application like AndroidLock XT installed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    There are certain applications that remove that ability due to how they function. Do you have an application like AndroidLock XT installed?
    No that's a negative. I have callbar, gridlock, infindock, SMS+, barrel, SBSettings/Activator (which removeBG doesn't work), color keyboard (which doesn't work), fswipecache (I got VIP and prestige themes to completely work on iOS 5 except for the lockscreen clock hide tweak cuz it's not updated), 3G unrestrictor, iFile, Winterboard, bytafont, and I think that's it.

Btw, did you get the camera button on your lockscreen with the iOS 5 update (not the tweak)?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Kaospassageraren's Avatar
    Thanks

Weekillbackground puts me in safemode too...
    Color keyboard works though..it has been updated for iOS 5.

And you need to doubletap the homebutton for the camera icon to show up on the lockscreen.
    My Twitter....powderfinger76

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaospassageraren View Post
    Weekillbackground puts me in safemode too...
    Color keyboard works though..it has been updated for iOS 5.

And you need to doubletap the homebutton for the camera icon to show up on the lockscreen.
    I can't get to work for some reason (color keyboard). I have enabled and everything. Wait, I'm trying get the VIP color keyboard for the theme. I didn't try the other keyboards it comes with so I wonder if it's just the theme I'm choosing. I'll check the stock keyboard for CK and then check the VIP themed one and make any changes to the file names as needed, which is how I'm getting all these themes to work anyways. I'm basically just adding @2x~iphone.png to the file names which then makes it compatible (not for all files. There are some other things that need to be done as well. For ex: to get the music and video icons changed you have to go into their stock folders and replace with the icons you want but make sure you backup the stock icons). Even the widgets for the themes are not difficult to get working if you know what u r doing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeski View Post
    Same problem here :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post
    Same problem here :/
    I don't get it. It is working fine on my 3gs old bootrom... All the widget does is sending SIGKILL to all processes. What could cause the crash is that the widget is running mobile, but it is root, so I have no idea...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Kaospassageraren's Avatar
    Thanks

Weekill has an update in cydia now and i saw that folderenhancer now is iOS 5 compatible
    My Twitter....powderfinger76

iPhone? More like MyPhone louee6's Avatar
    Thanks

Which notification center tweak lets you add a custom wallpaper to notification center??

Thanks
    The new update (0.0.2-1) still makes my iPod touch 4G go into safe mode after pressing the "end all apps" button in det NC weird

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post

You need to double press home button in lock mode for the camera to show!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

None of these are jumping out at me to be honest. I am sure we will see lots of cool, feature-packed, widgets launching here shortly.