Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Steve Jobs' Vow To "Destroy Android"

Thanks

Default Steve Job's Vow To "Destroy Android"

It isn’t much of a surprise for iOS users to dislike Android products and furthermore, it isn’t much of a surprise to find out that Steve Jobs felt the same way. Android has been seen as one of the biggest competitors for the iOS platform for quite some time now and people argue with pros and cons for each daily.

According to the Associated Press, which ended up getting an early look at the upcoming Steve Jobs biography written by Walter Isaacson, Jobs said the following about Android:
    I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this.
    The statement was Jobs’ response to the introduction of an HTC handset in January 2010. The HTC handset was too similar to the iPhone and had angered Jobs. This is when Jobs met with Eric Schmidt and discussed what he called was “grand theft.” During this discussion, Jobs told Schmidt that he would not accept any settlement, no matter what the price was and he even ordered the Google chief to stop copying the iPhone. Although, Android handset makers didn’t really listen and many smartphones still to this day try to imitate the iPhone, Jobs’ stand does help us understand all the legal battles that Apple is currently involved with, in an attempt to secure the company’s intellectual property.

With the iPhone 4S injunctions between Samsung and Apple, to Samsung going as far as claiming their new Galaxy Nexus smartphone is designed to avoid any patent infringement cases it seems like some Android handset makers are heavily involved in the whole scenario.

I personally believe that in many cases, Jobs did succeed to a certain extent with “destroying Android.” Although Apple’s iPhone 4S might not have the best hardware in the market, the iOS platform is one of the most refined platforms that appeals to consumers of all skill levels. Give the iPhone to someone as skilled as a developer or to someone who may be new to technology such as a grandparent and the iOS platform seems to impress not only both but everyone in between as well (generally). Apple even went as far as not showcasing any hardware specifications in their latest advertisement for the iPhone 4S and is receiving positive feedback. Furthermore, the iPhone 4S has been a huge success despite receiving disappointing initial reviews and the company having Steve Jobs on their homepage for 2 weeks during its release.

How do you feel about the whole ordeal? Share any thoughts and comments below!

Source: Associated Press

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

i feel like i need an iphone 4S jailbreak. tethered, untethered. its all the same to me. just give me iphone 4S jailbreak.

and yes. i hope tim cook and the cupertino team honours Steve´s vision and legacy and continue with apples projects in the direction he meant it to. that they continue to sue the people who do not innovate only imitate, such as google, samnsung, ect.
    Last edited by mallenass; 10-21-2011 at 04:30 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with Steve. I would love to see the Android O.S burn in hell.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

there is a tethered iOS5 JBreak out already..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    I agree with Steve. I would love to see the Android O.S burn in hell.
    Wishing there to be no competitor to iOS is very silly and shortsighted.

Fanboyisms aside, in absolutely every single market on earth, you want competition and not a monopoly.

I would rather Android and Windows 7 become more popular in the future.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 10-21-2011 at 04:40 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

spazturtle (10-21-2011)

Umm, I don't understand how Android is a stolen idea.Smart Phones were around before Apple came up with one, there's:Windows Mobile, Palm & Blackberry just to name a few.Palm's interface was similar to the iPhone at one point in time, the difference being the need for a Stylus.Did Apple improve the smartphone? Yes, but not as dramatically as they want us to believe and Google has every right to compete with it.

It's easy just tell apple to buy all android phones, after that burn it all...

Failing to see how Android is the copycat when it was around before iOS, and iOS continues to copy Android features.Notification centre anyone? Apple simply refines what already exists. I love iOS, but WE are the copycats.

DOWN WITH ANDRIOD!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRepairIndy View Post
    He said 4s not iOS5

Android came out in 2008 right? iOS first released in 2007....how are WE the copycats? Secondly it's clear to see how they tried to imitate iOS from functions all the way down to the icons. Notifications needed improvement no doubt about it but because apple came out with notification center hardly makes them a copy cat. In fact apple has made their name by their innovations not imitations.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantMAC View Post
    Android came out in 2008 right? . iOS first released in 2007....how are WE the copycats?

Google purchased it in 2005.

Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Android, Inc. was founded in Palo Alto, California, United States in October, 2003 by Andy Rubin (co-founder of Danger),[23] Rich Miner (co-founder of Wildfire Communications, Inc.),[24] Nick Sears (once VP at T-Mobile),[25] and Chris White (headed design and interface development at WebTV)[26] to develop, in Rubin's words "...smarter mobile devices that are more aware of its owner's location and preferences".[27] Despite the obvious past accomplishments of the founders and early employees, Android Inc. operated secretly, revealing only that it was working on software for mobile phones.[27]

Steve Jobs.
    Last edited by 2k1; 10-21-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Stolen product eh? Guess iOS was stolen from Windows Mobile and Palm and Nokia eh? Please, and now Apple is the one stealing ideas from Android.

Quote Originally Posted by iRepairIndy View Post
    Not for the 4S. Limera1n is a bootrom exploit, it doesn't support A5 devices(iPad2 and iPhone 4S)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Who cares when one or the other was startedm iOS constantly takes ideas from the jailbreak community and from android, dunno what they are trying to say is stolen.

In the business and technological world, "having the idea" before everyone else means nothing. If you don't implement and get your product on the market, your idea is worthless. Regardless of whether Google may have had the Android OS in 2003 or before iOS was released, Apple released their OS first and established themselves in the market earlier. That gives them full range and right to protect what they implemented upon.

In other words, that's like saying "Oh, Apple had the idea of iCloud way before it happened so therefore it should be there's to protect." No, that's just not how things work. Amazon as well as a few other companies got their cloud-based products up to speed prior to iCloud. And you don't see Apple vowing to destroy Amazon because of it do you?
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 10-21-2011 at 05:13 PM.

But Jobs saying Android stole HIS idea is infuriating.

Just because he got it to market first doesn't make it his idea.

The more I learn about Jobs the less I like him.

And to think I shed a tear the day he died...

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    But Jobs saying Android stole HIS idea is infuriating.

Just because he got it to market first doesn't make it his idea.

The more I learn about Jobs the less I like him.

And to think I shed a tear the day he died...
    It's the way of the game. If you patent, copyright, trademark, or implement anything first, no matter what the circumstances, you have the intellectual property rights. Plain and simple. Apple did that early on and have every right to claim that there are components of Android that mimic the iPhone OS.

I love Apple products, but they have been guilty of infringing or copying at times themselves. Either way, pretty sure Steve won't be getting the last laugh on account of a slight case of death.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast