+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Airs Their First iPhone 4S Commercial Showcasing Siri

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Airs Their First iPhone 4S Commercial Showcasing Siri

The first commercial starring Apple’s latest handset has just begun airing. You can probably already guess what the showcase of the commercial was, the iPhone 4S, and more particularly the Siri feature. For some people, this may be the first time they are seeing Siri in action, although it may be hard to believe for many.

One of the strongest features of Apple is the ability the company has to market its products to the average consumer, and this commercial is no exception. The commercial shows scenarios where people use Siri for a variety of different reasons and it also leaves people wanting to know more about the features.

The most interesting thing about the advertising though is the fact that the commercial doesn’t mention Siri at all. People in the advertisement are using Siri but don’t mention the word “Siri” at all. There was also no mention of hardware or specifications in the ad – something that most other smartphone companies don’t do.

You can check out the commercial below (courtesy of the person who tipped Engadget):

What do you think of the commercial? What about Apple's marketing technique? Share any thoughts and comments in the section below!

Source: Engadget

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Mmm... hopefully a Siri export to the iPhone 4 will be out soon (with few bugs... hopefully)!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Bragging about hardware is useless since a lot is up to the software. The 1ghz A5 out performs some of these other phones with "faster" processors. Not to mention probably 50% or more of consumers don't even know what most of that stuff means. Why brag about stuff that doesn't matter...instead showcase a phone that does! Well done Apple

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    Mmm... hopefully a Siri export to the iPhone 4 will be out soon (with few bugs... hopefully)!
    Sorry, but it's probably not going to happen. I know devs have already ported it over, but the bad news is, well... It's full of bugs.

The 4s running Siri is sometimes slow to respond and isn't perfect due to overhead on the CPU and that is with the new A5 dual.

I hope they find a way for the people that didn't upgrade, but however based on the performance on the 4s, I highly doubt it will run smooth on the A4 to be truly usable. If it did work on the A4, the devs wouldn't have had erratic behavior as soon as it was ported over. Same iOS, same infrastructure, but not enough CPU.
    Last edited by flash66; 10-20-2011 at 10:16 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    Bragging about hardware is useless since a lot is up to the software. The 1ghz A5 out performs some of these other phones with "faster" processors. Not to mention probably 50% or more of consumers don't even know what most of that stuff means. Why brag about stuff that doesn't matter...instead showcase a phone that does! Well done Apple
    well said sir, well said.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Sorry, but it's probably not going to happen. I know devs have already ported it over, but the bad news is, well... It's full of bugs.

The 4s running Siri is sometimes slow to respond and isn't perfect due to overhead on the CPU and that is with the new A5 dual.

I hope they find a way for the people that didn't upgrade, but however based on the performance on the 4s, I highly doubt it will run smooth on the A4 to be truly usable. If it did work on the A4, the devs wouldn't have had erratic behavior as soon as it was ported over. Same iOS, same infrastructure, but not enough CPU.
    Strange behavior is expected when something is first ported, from what I've read they have gotten it running very smooth, the only problem is getting it to connect to Apples servers. Specifically the servers that make Siri work, even though she can't say anything yet, everything else works quite smoothly, it'll even answer most questions, just without the audio. I read all that one of the devs twitter page, can't remember who's though, maybe ih8snow?

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    Completely agree, I'd rather have the iPhone even if there was an android with a quad core. Because the iPhone performs almost anything without lag, choppiness or freezing. And has my favorite UI to boot.
    Last edited by emerica6708; 10-20-2011 at 10:31 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emerica6708 View Post
    Strange behavior is expected when something is first ported, from what I've read they have gotten it running very smooth, the only problem is getting it to connect to Apples servers. Specifically the servers that make Siri work, even though she can't say anything yet, everything else works quite smoothly, it'll even answer most questions, just without the audio. I read all that one of the devs twitter page, can't remember who's though, maybe ih8snow?

Completely agree, I'd rather have the iPhone even if there was an android with a quad core. Because the iPhone performs almost anything without lag, choppiness or freezing. And has my favorite UI to boot.
    Your exactly right, at first when GoJohnyboi and iH8sn0w ported it to the iphone 4 it was very slow and buggy, now they fixed it and is running just like the one on the iphone 4s, nice and smooth. They are working on trying to connect it to apples servers....so i sure hope this happens. And I am pretty sure dude is wrong about taking up a lot of CPU.

Thanks

I hope I am wrong and the A4 CPU runs Siri fine.
    I wasn't aware of the devs progress that you both mentioned and I think that's great. I'm sure they'll find a way to communicate with Apple, maybe through some sort of proxy hardware setup on the web or just code. Either way, I was just trying to describe the times Siri seems to lag and take a while to reply. It sure seems like resources drop at times accessing Siri. Left me with some doubt of the A4.
    Last edited by flash66; 10-20-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    very shortly after watching the video, I went downstairs and this same commercial came on... haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope I am wrong and the A4 CPU runs Siri fine.
    I wasn't aware of the devs progress that you both mentioned and I think that's great. I'm sure they'll find a way to communicate with Apple, maybe through some sort of proxy hardware setup on the web or just code. Either way, I was just trying to describe the times Siri seems to lag and take a while to reply. It sure seems like resources drop at times accessing Siri. Left me with some doubt of the A4.
    A cool 90% of Siri is server side. A very slight drop in network connectivity will lag Siri out, nasty style. Server load plays a role as well, I'm sure.

Processor side, the only resources used are for the apps being accessed by your requests to Siri, and the UI of Siri itself. The A4 has plenty of power to run it.
    Last edited by Beastly L92; 10-21-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks

Of course it's the most amazing iphone yet...it's the newest one. dumb asses.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    A cool 90% of Siri is server side. A very slight drop in network connectivity will lag Siri out, nasty style. Server load plays a role as well, I'm sure.

Processor side, the only resources used are for the apps being accessed by your requests to Siri, and the UI of Siri itself. The A4 has plenty of power to run it.
    It was well noticed on launch day. Server load was rediculous.
    Everyone playing with their new toy at once.

Your idea of Siri and her operation seems very logical.
    Possibly after a few months or the release of the next gen, apple will release Siri to other devices via ios. I'm sure Siri will make her debut on other devices in the future such as atv, Mac, or maybe microwave ovens?
    The possibilities are endless. Tweaks coming from devs should be interesting to look out for. Voice mods, etc. I would like an option to just say "Siri" instead of holding home or kissing the phone and she asks "how can I help you" or a programmed response of humor Giving a personalized name wih gender choice / mood is also very cool.
    Last edited by flash66; 10-21-2011 at 12:46 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

It was well noticed on launch day. Server load was rediculous.
    Everyone playing with their new toy at once.

Your idea of Siri and her operation seems very logical.
    Possibly after a few months or the release of the next gen, apple will release Siri to other devices via ios.
    They eventually may. After all, Siri debuted as a free AppStore app for the iPhone 4. Apple then bought them out, pulled the app, made it 4s exclusive and now all requests made by an i4 are met with a message stating that "Siri is at home on the new iPhone 4s".

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If a lot of Siri functionality is server side (and already seen server overload) then that is a very good reason for Apple to keep to the 4S for now anyway. Being a selling point of the new iPhone may keep it to just the 4S, but who knows they may open it up to older devices later on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dknowle View Post
    If a lot of Siri functionality is server side (and already seen server overload) then that is a very good reason for Apple to keep to the 4S for now anyway. Being a selling point of the new iPhone may keep it to just the 4S, but who knows they may open it up to older devices later on.
    Anyone else hear an echo? Helloooo

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Dubious, or at least dubious legally. It's licensed to the 4S. Running on anything outside of that is likely synonymous with piracey.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone else hear an echo? Helloooo
    Nope...maybe between your ears?

iPhone? More like MyPhone JonnyBoy123's Avatar
    Thanks

Not too sure where your getting your information from. I've been keeping up with the dev's of this port via Twitter and from what they're tweet's are informing us followers, they are making successful progress with the port. They HAVE sped up Siri for A4 devices and even have a video of it working great as well and the HAVE gotten Siri to work on Apple's servers. What is taking them long is how they are going to distribute this port to the public, if this port will cost and how much $, and the main time consuming agenda is the fact that they have decided to build the port "from the ground up"; to avoid infringing any copyright's or patents by Apple. To you and whom so ever would like to catch up on the news of this port as of today (October 21, 2011), here's the link to the FAQ of the Siri Port: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_GB
     Think Different.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoy123 View Post
    Not too sure where your getting your information from. I've been keeping up with the dev's of this port via Twitter and from what they're tweet's are informing us followers, they are making successful progress with the port. They HAVE sped up Siri for A4 devices and even have a video of it working great as well and the HAVE gotten Siri to work on Apple's servers. What is taking them long is how they are going to distribute this port to the public, if this port will cost and how much $, and the main time consuming agenda is the fact that they have decided to build the port "from the ground up"; to avoid infringing any copyright's or patents by Apple. To you and whom so ever would like to catch up on the news of this port as of today (October 21, 2011), here's the link to the FAQ of the Siri Port: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_GB
    By definition, a port cannot be built from the ground up...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It seems so good.