+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Add Banner Notifications For Music App In iOS 5 With NowListening

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Add Banner Notifications for Music App In iOS 5 With NowListening

For those of you who have a jailbroken iOS device, you have probably noticed that despite all the notification options, you donít have any for music. If you use the Music app on your iOS device and background it, youíll notice that you wonít be able to check what song is playing unless you go back to the Music app to see which song is on. This isnít the case anymore though with NowListening, a new jailbreak tweak for iOS 5. This tweak allows you to receive banner notifications whenever your Music app begins playing a new song.

The tweak aims to provide users with a handy feature without disturbing you while listening to songs on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. It shows you the current playing song at the top of the notification bar on your iOS device. This way you donít have to tap on the Home button, go back to the Music app. You can click on the notification if youíd like to quickly change songs as well. Unfortunately, there isnít any default option that allows you to enable this function on iOS 5, so you need to have a jailbroken iOS device to enable music banner notifications.

One of the downsides to the app is that it only supports the Music app, so if you are using other apps for music such as Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, etc. then you are out of luck for now. For those of you whoíd still like to use the tweak for the Music app, you can download NowListening from Cydia under the BigBoss repo. The tweak is free so it might be worth picking up even if you seldom use the Music app. Just a quick note, once you the install the app, it works as mentioned, there are no settings or icons that will be added to your springboard.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This is cool, but i don't fully understand how it works. Does It just show up when the song changes? or is it there permanently? Or do you have to do some action to make it show up? Someone please explain. thanks.

Thanks

It works like any other banner notification. When a song is first played, it shows up for a few seconds, then disappears (just the way the banner notifications work if you receive new mail).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    It works like any other banner notification. When a song is first played, it shows up for a few seconds, then disappears (just the way the banner notifications work if you receive new mail).
    Oh cool! I'll definitely be getting that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Please give credit to the author of this tweak!

This tweak shows up only when the song switches.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima133 View Post
    This is cool, but i don't fully understand how it works. Does It just show up when the song changes? or is it there permanently? Or do you have to do some action to make it show up? Someone please explain. thanks.
    I believe it's the same as the default notifications. It just pops up when the song changes and goes away after a few seconds.

edit: my bad, the other comments weren't showing up so I thought there wasn't a reply.
    Last edited by sTrAnGe mOdS; 10-20-2011 at 03:12 PM.

8GB iPod Touch 1G: 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.2 > 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0.1 GM RedSn0wed
    16GB iPhone 3G > Sold $375 > iPhone 4: 4.2.8 > 5.0
    32GB iPad: 3.2 > 3.2.1 > Traded For MacBook > Traded + $500 For MacBook Pro

Thanks

Shows up when playing video (at least internet video). Even if you pause and unpause.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd hope it's not permament. That would be terrible. Drop down is ok. Pop-up when the song changes can be equally annoying, truth be told. If I am in the middle of browsing the web or doing anything productive while listeding to music I sure wouldn't want that popping up every song.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

It seems like it appears when a new song starts

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hmm. I don't see the point. I know what every song I have on my phone is by the first few second of playing. If it would work with Pandora though, then you'll have something. Does it work with Pandora?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got this as soon as I read this article. Great little tweak

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally I don't think this benefits me but the benefits of jailbreaking your idevices are having the options of. Install what every tweaks and apps you want and mod your device to your likings. may you find this thing useful

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'll be downloading this tweak but i sure hope they add more music apps soon...course i dont know how hard it would be to get that info it might not be possible but here is hoping hehe

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zakspop View Post
    Hmm. I don't see the point. I know what every song I have on my phone is by the first few second of playing. If it would work with Pandora though, then you'll have something. Does it work with Pandora?
    I certainly don't know the name of every track on my 64GB iPhone so finding it pretty cool at the moment