+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Regional Carrier C Spire to Carry iPhone 4S Soon, T-Mobile Still Left in the Cold

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Regional Carrier C Spire to Carry iPhone 4S Soon, T-Mobile Still Left in the Cold

C Spire—the nations largest private cell phone carrier—will be carrying the iPhone 4S “in the coming weeks” according to their website.

Poor T-Mobile.

C Spire is a regional carrier that operates a CDMA network la Verizon and Sprint in Mississippi, the Florida Panhandle, Parts of Alabama, and the Memphis metropolitan area. They have approximately 900,000 customers, a paltry number when compared to T-Mobile’s 33 million plus customer base.

The news is a gut-check to T-Mobile—who has been open to carrying the iPhone— especially now that they're the only major carrier in the United States without the iPhone. The reasons though most likely revolve around the wireless technology used to power T-Mobile’s 3G network. C Spire’s CDMA network shares the same 3G technology as Verizon and Sprint, whereas T-Mobile’s GSM 3G network differs from AT&T’s. So much so, that unlocked iPhones can only operate using T-Mobiles 2G frequencies.

Still, the fact T-Mobile has been left in the cold without an official iPhone on its network for this long doesn't bode well for the carrier or Apple for that matter. For a long time it was been assumed T-Mobile would eventually get the iPhone, and those assumptions were even greater when AT&T started the proposed acquisition of the company, but with the DOJ and FCC preventing the acquisition the future of the iPhone on T-Mobile is now in question more than ever.

Source: C Spire
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 10-19-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks

Just give them the phone..
    I had my first JB iPhone running Tmobile and loved it! Not a big difference between 2G & 3G..just a word to me :]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

That's deep lool !

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's so funny that probably a 3rd of people using a iPhones right now are unlocked T-Mobile users too.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Huh, they recently changed their name to c spire. They were cellular south. In mississippi, AT&T is king but plenty of people use cspire. They are more popular than Verizon, sprint or TMobile here.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I am actually dreading the day that T-Mobile officially gets the iPhone 4. My entire family has T-Mobile and the majority of us have iPhones. T-Mobile will likely force us into data plans the day they get the iPhone officially. As of now, they let you do whatever you want. Most of us have the $9.99 data plan (even though it's only edge) but two of us don't have any internet plan at all and only use WiFi. I wouldn't be able to afford the iPhone with a $30 internet plan each month.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I noticed this yesterday: If you look at the iOS5 CDMA iPhone 4 file system contents (at least in the GM), there was a ready-made C Spire bundle along with a Sprint bundle and two VZW bundles. Apple had this ready for a while. I'm just surprised they didn't make the announcement during the initial iPhone event.

This is getting more interesting by the minute. if by some chance Metro/Cricket get the iPhone, T-Mobile's numbered days will shorten exponentially.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

ah so C-spire is Cellular South with a different name? I'm near the Memphis area and have seen the billboards all over, and I wondered if it was some new company or something. LOL my wife and I both think the billboards showing the cupped hands looks kind of like a person's butt from a distance and quick glance.

Thanks

Smfh t-mobile

Banned
    Thanks

It doesn't make sense to give T-Mobile their own iPhone right now because of the proposed AT&T takeover. If AT&T ends up with T-Mobile, then there is no need for a different iPhone - just sell the customers the current model. If AT&T doesn't end up with T-Mobile, by the time the dust settles there will likely be an LTE iPhone which will work on T-Mobile and it would be pointless to make a 3G version just for them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never even heard of C Spire. Or Cellular South. Then again, I'm a Yankee.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Just give them the phone..
    I had my first JB iPhone running Tmobile and loved it! Not a big difference between 2G & 3G..just a word to me :]
    Either your 2g speed is very fast or (more likely) your 3g is slow. The speed difference is very drastic even for day to day use. I couldn't imagine giving up 3g.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

Verizon 4gs?

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Apple will probably give tmobile the next iphonewhen their at&t aquisition is cancelled if it does get cancelled. Otherwise, there will be no tmobile when at&t aquisition is done and apple would have wasted time making separate phones for tmobile and at&t

Thanks

I wish t-mobile gets the iPhone any time soon that way I will be back to simple mobile with $40 unlimited everything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syedsufyan View Post
    Apple will probably give tmobile the next iphonewhen their at&t aquisition is cancelled if it does get cancelled. Otherwise, there will be no tmobile when at&t aquisition is done and apple would have wasted time making separate phones for tmobile and at&t
    Why would they make separate phones? GSM is GSM.

Thanks

Well what happens if tmobile can't merge, does their owner just walk away and shutter the company all together?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Why would they make separate phones? GSM is GSM.
    Not really. Different frequencies for 3G

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Not really. Different frequencies for 3G
    Damnit Jim! I'm at doctor, not an electrical engineer!