Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Siri Ported to iPhone 4 and iPod 4G with Apple Connectivity - The True Story

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by NickFrey The legal issues are not because of "hacking". There is no hacking of Siri servers involved. The reason it's illegal is because they're taking files from
    Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NickFrey View Post
    The legal issues are not because of "hacking". There is no hacking of Siri servers involved. The reason it's illegal is because they're taking files from the iPhone 4S that are copyrighted and redistributing them for other people, when only the 4S is licensed to use them. I highly doubt there would be enough people using the Siri port that would cause trouble for Apple.
    Agreed. I don't think they'll release the port since there will be illegal actions going on.

Thanks

So why is it that the guys who made *******, potentially allowing millions to get pirated apps; not getting sued?It's the same concept, isn't it? If some one releases the guide or even an app explaining as to how siri gets ported, there shouldn't be much trouble. Especially if the dev releases it anonymously. ;D
    Last edited by i.Annie; 10-30-2011 at 12:49 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default where to see me
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoTheForms View Post
    Where can I see your movies?
    well put a dotcom after my name but don't join cause the webmasters ripping me off

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    So why is it that the guys who made App Sync, potentially allowing millions to get pirated apps; not getting sued?It's the same concept, isn't it? If some one releases the guide or even an app explaining as to how siri gets ported, there shouldn't be much trouble. Especially if the dev releases it anonymously. ;D
    If you want Siri that bad, then buy an iPhone 4S.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think what Apple did is piracy, not people having to hack this. Siri was once an app, then they took it away, and now it is supported only on their newest and best device. Piracy is not only about people stealing from corporations, it should also be about corporations stealing from the people, as logic would dictate.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The people that have been jailbreaking the phones known this but not worried about the legal problems there. So not sure what the problem is with hacking a server. Just add to the list. Apple loves the jailbreak community. They sell more phones for them. Apple steals apps from them and adds to there new iOS. Then hires all the good jailbreakers. Win win for Apple.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 10-30-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: edit

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NickFrey View Post
    The legal issues are not because of "hacking". There is no hacking of Siri servers involved. The reason it's illegal is because they're taking files from the iPhone 4S that are copyrighted and redistributing them for other people, when only the 4S is licensed to use them. I highly doubt there would be enough people using the Siri port that would cause trouble for Apple.
    For the sake of argument, it's still a hack. Through this hack/tweak/insert whatever you want here, "Siri servers" are officially talking only to the 4S. This is being circumvented and other devices that are "not supposed" to be talking to the servers are now talking to them. Don't normally correct people, but it seems you felt the need to correct someone else... At the end of the day legal issues are legal issues. Do the details really matter to the average user.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Exclamation Here is why i think Siri should be made available to all.
    I will give you few examples for ported apple software to other apple devices:
    Game Center on iPhone 3G - as you know it is not in the 3G firmware files, and yet part of the needed files are hosted in well known Cydia repos - no consequences whatsoever
    Nike+ on iPhone 3G - ported without any piracy consequences (used files from iPod 2G)
    Missing apps ported to iPad (1 and 2) - Clock, Weather, Stocks, Compass, Calculator - still no legal problems

These examples went unpunished online, on non pirated repos and sites.

Same should happen with Siri.

One more thing, Siri is beta software, so many of the copyright rules can not be applied here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Also
    Quote Originally Posted by zero-limit View Post
    Game Center on iPhone 3G - as you know it is not in the 3G firmware files, and yet part of the needed files are hosted in well known Cydia repos - no consequences whatsoever
    Nike+ on iPhone 3G - ported without any piracy consequences (used files from iPod 2G)
    Missing apps ported to iPad (1 and 2) - Clock, Weather, Stocks, Compass, Calculator - still no legal problems

One more thing, Siri is beta software, so many of the copyright rules can not be applied here.
    Also you forgot Facetime on iPad 1 & iPhone 3GS.. This had a fine tut, even an installer + uploaded on some repos .. I didn't see no lawsuit!!

Thanks

On the other side of the coin, Apple has nothing but to gain from those features being ported. With Siri, more of Apple's resources are being used without really any potential added profit. Also, all of your examples SEEM to me to be cases where Apple would have the legal grounds to shut these things down, but they choose not to since it may not be a big enough problem. Just a guess on that latter statement.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I understand the devs don't want to get in trouble, but piracy isn't going to stop users of the jailbreak community. It's a JAILBREAK community. We pretty much have the definition of "F the police" in our name. lol c'mon son.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 10-30-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: edit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    I understand the devs don't want to get in trouble, but piracy isn't going to stop users of the jailbreak community. It's a JAILBREAK community. We pretty much have the definition of "F the police" in our name. lol c'mon son.
    lol
    true that
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 10-30-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: edit

Thanks

You obviously dont understand what Jailbreaking is for.

I suggest you stop doing it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    You obviously dont understand what Jailbreaking is for.

I suggest you stop doing it.
    You mean jailbreaking wasn't created to cater to my needs and wants for free software? Oh man, I have been living a lie all this time.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

That is right... it is a jailbreak community and nothing else. And I am so glad that you are so proud to mention that you have that definition in your name however many people don't. Please come down to reality and act like a real person.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd View Post
    The current state of the port is exactly what the previous state of the port (as reported here on modmyi) was, except that the server issue was worked around and a video was shown of it working.

Therefore, if you believe the current state of the port is a publicity stunt, certainly the previous state of the port (as reported here on modmyi) was a publicity stunt as well.
    I find this to be a funny smack down of both articles. And the irony that a dev team member had to come and clear up the status of this is great. The OP was tl;dr after about three lines when we are mostly just looking for what Musclenerd just said.

+1 to him!

$DO || ! $DO ; try
    try: command not found

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    I think what Apple did is piracy, not people having to hack this. Siri was once an app, then they took it away, and now it is supported only on their newest and best device. Piracy is not only about people stealing from corporations, it should also be about corporations stealing from the people, as logic would dictate.
    I agree 100%. I had the app it wasn't that good but it could have been made better.

Netflix before it came to iPhone.
    Last edited by Truckerbear; 10-30-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Thanks

Meh i just want my iPhone 4S Jailbreak please :-)i used Siri once and thats it who cares about voice control its cool but i dont care for itwhat i do care for is having my iPhone 4S jailbroken so i can get my Free Apps which is why people jailbreak they wants free shitz ...........

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    You mean jailbreaking wasn't created to cater to my needs and wants for free software? Oh man, I have been living a lie all this time.
    No it was not created so you can have free software..... however if you want FREE software there is a ton of it in the app store. If you need any help I would be more than glad to direct you to the right places.

Quote Originally Posted by sheon View Post
    Meh i just want my iPhone 4S Jailbreak please :-)i used Siri once and thats it who cares about voice control its cool but i dont care for itwhat i do care for is having my iPhone 4S jailbroken so i can get my Free Apps which is why people jailbreak they wants free shitz ...........
    Here ya go sweetie all of the free apps you could ever want! faad

Quote Originally Posted by R.Mortera View Post
    If you want Siri that bad, then buy an iPhone 4S.
    What a great statement! Thank you so very much!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 10-30-2011 at 12:46 PM.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    That is right... it is a jailbreak community and nothing else. And I am so glad that you are so proud to mention that you have that definition in your name however many people don't. Please come down to reality and act like a real person.
    Act like a real person or act like you? I am acting like a real person. I'm being myself. Do you act like a moderator in real life? I apologize for posting about piracy and the warning was a fair judgement. That was my mistake. But telling me to "act like a real person" after telling me that my definition of a jailbreak community is flawed is ironic. Many people don't have your definition of "a real person" in their name. Sound familiar?
    Last edited by Nest; 10-30-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Please stay on topic, if it isn't relevant about jailbreaking or this news topic, take it out in a PM.