+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Siri Can Bypass Your iPhone 4S Passcode to Make Calls

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
You've heard about butt-dialing. How about butt-siri-ing? Just a warning to all of you new iPhone 4S owners. Siri is capable of making phone calls when your iPhone is locked
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default Siri Can Bypass Your iPhone 4S Passcode to Make Calls

You've heard about butt-dialing. How about butt-siri-ing?

Just a warning to all of you new iPhone 4S owners. Siri is capable of making phone calls when your iPhone is locked with a passcode. Oh and another thing, it goes beyond calls, but you can actually do almost anything with Siri while your iPhone 4S is locked with a passcode. This is obviously a design built in by Apple, but if you're unaware of how to turn the feature off when your iPhone 4S is locked, you could possibly be in danger. Not only could anyone who picks up your iPhone 4S dial numbers and possibly rack up your minutes, but also they can send text messages, edit your alarms, reminders, and more things of that sort while you are at the passcode part of your lock screen.

Weng Chin shows us how this can be done with one of his own iPhone 4S's:

Now to be clear and fair, this isn't really a security issue. Unless, of course, you're ignorant of the fact that you have a certain setting turned on. You can turn off Siri voice controls from Settings. Under Passcode lock, you need to enable the setting, ''Do not allow access to Siri when locked with a passcode." This will lock Siri away from your lock screen and enable it only after the iPhone 4S has been successfully unlocked. Do this, and no one will be able to mess with your iPhone 4S when you have it set up with a passcode.

So this is just a warning that you should double check your settings. It's not necessarily a security flaw. If you had this setting on by mistake, disabling it would be a smart choice, however if you don't mind too much then you can leave it on if you enjoy having quick access to Siri. In previous iPhones without Siri, users could similarly make calls using Voice Dial even when the iPhone was locked with a passcode. Apple similarly offered an option for Voice Dial to be turned off on the lock screen just as they have done here with Siri.

If you inadvertently had this setting turned on, share below!

Sources: FSM
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-18-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It should also be know that you can do this with any iPhone 3Gs or newer running iOS 4.0 or higher. Voice controls have been in the phone for some time now, and calls could always be made from the lock screen even with a pass code. Funny it took Siri to make people realize this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone law111's Avatar
    Thanks

They should have just had the default off and asked if you wanted that on when setting up the passcode.. fixed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

You do have the ability to turn off voice dial from a locked screen with IOS 4.0 or higher. However, when you turn the lock code off the default from the lockscreen turns voice dial back on.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So if you press home while in a call, can you bypass the lock?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by contestest View Post
    So if you press home while in a call, can you bypass the lock?
    No, it will ask you for the code 

They *** on the video describes Siri like a security fail I'm gonna ban that video flagged as inappropriate !! 
    Last edited by duromega; 10-19-2011 at 05:41 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How do I get a UK accent on my US Siri.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It should have an option to enable/disable phone calling with Siri when passcode is enable and leave everything else active for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    No, it will ask you for the code 

They *** on the video describes Siri like a security fail I'm gonna ban that video flagged as inappropriate !! 
    If you actually paid attention to the video, he actually said it isn't a security flaw. He is just pointing out this because I'm sure alot of people do not know so don't be a YouTube troll.
    Last edited by xclusiveiphone; 10-22-2011 at 11:50 AM.