+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint Shruggs Off Claims of Slow iPhone Data Speeds

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Sprint Shruggs Off Claims of Slow iPhone Data Speeds

Can the Sprint network really accommodate the iPhone after all? That's the big question today following reports that the network is being greatly challenged by the device's arrival on Sprint.

Just days after the iPhone 4S officially launched Friday, scores of Sprint subscribers have turned to the blogosphere and directly to Sprint to levy complaints about the purported slow data speeds they've experienced with the iPhone 4S on Sprint. Although most iPhone-owning Sprint subscribers - including those I've have connected with - haven't experienced the same issues, Sprint has been put on the defensive in the wake of the recent criticisms.

While not outright dismissing the allegations of slow data speeds, Sprint says the number of customers who have complained represents a very small percentage of iPhone users. What's more, Sprint is promisingly to look into the matter in hopes of bringing resolution to the problems some have complained about.

"As always, Sprint is carefully monitoring the performance of the 3G network," the carrier said in a statement provided to PC Magazine. "We are looking into a small number of reports of slow data speeds when using the iPhone 4S, however there are also reports showing that Sprintís network is the fastest, such as the Gizmodo report that came out earlier today."

"Speed tests represent a moment in time and are subject to many variables including weather, time of day, device, and proximity to a tower," Sprint added to its statement. "Sprint will continue to monitor the feedback we are getting from our customers and will investigate and resolve any issues that may arise."

As others around the tech blogosphere have noted, however, it remains to be seen exactly which Gizmodo report Sprint is pointing to with regard to the carrier's claim that it's among the fastest networks to run the iPhone. The speed tests Gizmodo has highlighted have largely illustrated the opposite so far.

Source: PC Magazine

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Looks like that massive iPhone order may end up being a disaster if they don't have customers to buy them because of their sub-par network.

Thanks
    Happy I stayed with AT&T

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

It is a reality. Sprint needs to look into this problem.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This could be the beginning of the end for them. Sprint was not ready for the iPhone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mlitz69 View Post
    Happy I stayed with AT&T
    Agreed. They may have many problems, but they are still the fastest network in my experience.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

but at the same time, how does the effect of having sprint phone between the other phones play into it? just a thought that has been expressed many times

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
    This could be the beginning of the end for them. Sprint was not ready for the iPhone.
    But let's face it, neither was AT&T or really Verizon when they first got it...

Thanks

My friend here at work has an iphone 4s with sprint and his download speeds are 0.95mbps, terrible! I have regular iphone 4 with ATT and i was getting 5.36mbps download and 2mps upload. My friend is returning his phone and going to ATT even thou is a bit more.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This isn't an iPhone problem. This is the Sprint network. I went with an EVO last year. Loved the phone, hated the data speeds. It is what it is. There is a reason they give you an everything plan with nice smartphones for the lowest price...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Do Sprint users read their ToS? Sprint "claims" unlimited internet, but based on some people complaints I have read the past few months about "unlimited"... Sprint doesn't have unlimited data. They have restrictions and pre-throttle before you even turn your phone on.

Sprint in their ToS...

Has the right to pre-throttle or compress certain services right off the bat especially during peak times.
    you have 300 minutes, or 300MB of data usage off-network(Domestic roaming). The other 3 give you unlimited on or off network. They reserve the right to throttle or terminate your service from that point forward for the month. Even if it says "Sprint" you may actually be domestically roaming and people may be throttled. This is why Sprint probably shrugs it off as the people complaining about the speeds are domestically roaming.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imperialto View Post
    but at the same time, how does the effect of having sprint phone between the other phones play into it? just a thought that has been expressed many times
    Probably not too much effect at all since CDMA phones operate at different frequencies than GSM phones. So in that case, the Verizon and Sprint phones could interfere however the AT&T one shouldn't cause much issue at all. But think about it, if Verizon and Sprint were interfering, I don't think that Verizon would be as fast as it was. AT&T's speeds seemed slow because Jeff had a bad AT&T signal.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Have a friend that works for sprint call center for the iPhone and he stated calls are crazy with people reporting slow speeds on iPhone 4 and 4S

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imperialto View Post
    What does this question even mean? The fact that the phone is physically "sandwiched" in between verizon and ATT phones in the demo? Might have something to do with it, but Sprint is slow, even in the real world where there are no excuses. I have seen it first hand.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    What does this question even mean? The fact that the phone is physically "sandwiched" in between verizon and ATT phones in the demo? Might have something to do with it, but Sprint is slow, even in the real world where there are no excuses. I have seen it first hand.
    Exactly, its just a slow network. I never liked the idea that Sprint would be getting the iPhone, other than the iPhone becoming more popular Oh well, I'll never be with Sprint so I'm not too concerned.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AT&T is garbage too!

Thanks

I'm not having any issues at all 3g on the 4s is better then it was on my evo 3d notifications are right on time unlike on android being I iphone user since day one im happy just need that jailbreak

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

If you noticed on the top left where the network signal is displayed you clearly see that Verizon has a full signal where as both AT&T having the lesser and Sprint having half signal doesn't really prove anything. Put both AT&T and Verizon together with equal signal strength and AT&T will clearly load faster. As for Sprint they still need to work on there 3G network.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I get anywhere from below 100 to 250 or so on speed tests in town. In rural areas outside of town I can get over 1000 easy. Oh and I'm not even on an iPhone so it's not the iPhone's problem its the network not being able to handle the iPhones arrival.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    AT&T is garbage too!
    I have AT&T network and I totally agree my 3G internet it's soo slow!

Can't talk on elevator or basement
    This didn't happen when I had tmobile