Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Apple Already Selling Unlocked iPhone 4Ss as "Off-Contract" Devices

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azxken View Post
    This does not work! I just went to Apple Store today (in OR) and got myself a contract-free iphone 4s 32gb for $749 and test it but it didn't work. I activated the phone and tried inserted my T-mobile micro sim card in and it said "no service"

I guess there are only a few that work.. So let just wait until Nov when Apple officially release their unlocked iphones.

RESTORE IPHONE AND THEN PUT TMOBILE SIM IN TO ACTIVATE. Please post if it worked...!

Quote Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
    We'll could anyone make a check list area of Apple Store that sold the Unlocked iPhone 4S? I know Minnesota (Mall of America) Apple Store dont sell it. They keep saying that the unlock version is not in any Apple Store until November.
    It is not a unlocked iPhone Apple is officially selling:

. I believe People are buying locked to AT&T versions. But Activating the phones with Non At&T sims. This will only work I am lead to believe from other posts I have read.

If you restore and or start with the T-mobile sim in the iPhone when you activate it should unlock the iPhone provided you bought the iPhone with no 2 year contract at full retail price.

If you already activated with a at&t sim, you may need to Restore first. Then put T-mobile sim in before the iPhone is plugged in to iTunes after the restore is complete. Now If you activate with the T-Mobile or any non AT&T sim iTunes should give you the unlocked message. Best if you can just buy the iPhone at Apple and take it home and activate it first time with t-mobile or any other non AT&T sim.

Any one who bought a out of contract at&t iPhone might oblige the community and test this theory and post.

Cheers,

James
    Last edited by jamescrofton; 10-17-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raceking777 View Post
    Will 3G work on t mobile's network?
    I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Odd my iphone 4 never gave me the congratulations screen, it just worked.
    What's your carrier ??

So my Uncle is in New york these days, and he said he will buy me an unlocked Ip 4S, So what should i tell him? Go to the apple store and just purchase an unlocked Iphone 4S? Does it require any type of activation or something? Coz he will then send it to me, and i dont know if there are procedures involved in "unlocked phones" too

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yesterday I decided to test this so bought an out of contract AT&T from Apple store. I didn't let them activate in store as I said it was a gift, when I got home I took the sim out of my IP4 and plugged it into iTunes to sync. As soon as I got past the register screen the unlocked message appeard. My theory is that as long as you don't use the sim that came with a full price phone and have Apple assign the device a phone number during check out it will be unlocked. I am headed to the t-mo store during my lunch to buy a junk sim to test the unlock. I'll post my results with pics after.

::EDIT::

Just got back from T-Mobile store picked up a prepaid micro sim and through it in my phone. At first it gave me a no sim error then after a minute or so of the phone searching for reception I was gained cell service. Sent a phone call, a text and a quick web search. All functioned flawlessly for being on edge.

-ab-n3lzciaeqqk_.jpg
    Last edited by ian_frs; 10-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescrofton View Post
    RESTORE IPHONE AND THEN PUT TMOBILE SIM IN TO ACTIVATE. Please post if it worked...!

It is not a unlocked iPhone Apple is officially selling:

. I believe People are buying locked to AT&T versions. But Activating the phones with Non At&T sims. This will only work I am lead to believe from other posts I have read.

If you restore and or start with the T-mobile sim in the iPhone when you activate it should unlock the iPhone provided you bought the iPhone with no 2 year contract at full retail price.

If you already activated with a at&t sim, you may need to Restore first. Then put T-mobile sim in before the iPhone is plugged in to iTunes after the restore is complete. Now If you activate with the T-Mobile or any non AT&T sim iTunes should give you the unlocked message. Best if you can just buy the iPhone at Apple and take it home and activate it first time with t-mobile or any other non AT&T sim.

Any one who bought a out of contract at&t iPhone might oblige the community and test this theory and post.

Cheers,

James
    OKAT TESTED ABOVE THIS MORNING. I Activated and unlocked with my U.K orange sim, A uncontracted at&t iPhone 4s. I switched the sims in the store and did it in front of the Apple rep. Who told me it won't work. He was amazed when my phone activated, And then rang. Was pretty sweet...!

Quote Originally Posted by jamescrofton View Post
    restore iphone and then put tmobile sim in to activate. Please post if it worked...!

i tried restored many times but still doesn't work!!!

Thanks
    I would in that case return the phone.

Get another at&t uncontracted iPhone. say its a gift and you do not want to open the packaging. Now activate first time with T-Mob sim.

Do not use Trash the sim that comes with the phone....! Let me know if it worked. I actually activated this way in the Apple store Sherman Oaks, Ca this morning.

My Mate is bring two more over to Unlock this afternoon. I will post the results.

Ok, so this, just like everyone else, had me thinking I should go test it out. I just got back form the Apple store. I went in bought the phone. Opened it up right infront of the guy, took my TMOBILE sim out of my IP4 and put it in the IP4s and plugged it into the USB of the macbook air in the Apple store. Went through all the screens and well enough after all the screens cleared out it came up as TMOBILE. One thing that tells you that all the phones are actualy unlocked form the factory is the back of the box. If you look at the bottom where the Apple sticker of the serial number and etc. is printed where it tells you what kind of phone you have in my case (16gb White IP4s) affter all that it would tell you the carrier it is for, if it doesnt list a carrier then you know its an unlocked phone. If it lists a carrier (which I believe non do) then it is locked. But as long as there is no carrier listed then your phone is already unlocked. The guy looked at me like I was crazy by the way and I ended up getting a free 35$ case for teaching them something new from the store manager =). This was in Richmond, VA BTW

Thanks

Well as far as I know its not the iphone 4S, it may be the iphone 4 which is available of the contract, because iphone 4S is yet sold only with contract, otherwise if Apple starts selling it, this will literally put a halt at the contract selling, almost half of the old iphone careers are awaiting the off-contract model.

Im pretty sure Ivan read my phone box and receipt.. Defff says iPhone 4s

I can***

Quote Originally Posted by thomaspeter View Post
    Well as far as I know its not the iphone 4S, it may be the iphone 4 which is available of the contract, because iphone 4S is yet sold only with contract, otherwise if Apple starts selling it, this will literally put a halt at the contract selling, almost half of the old iphone careers are awaiting the off-contract model.
    It work.... Went into Apple Store and ask for AT&T iPhone. He went in an got it out. Pay it in full (No Plan) and bring it home without activating. Got home, replace it with T-Mobile and connected to my Mac... Then it say UNLOCK... well then it say error saying that card does not supported. However it right away have full bar. Soooooooo... I'm happy now...

Quote Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
    It work.... Went into Apple Store and ask for AT&T iPhone. He went in an got it out. Pay it in full (No Plan) and bring it home without activating. Got home, replace it with T-Mobile and connected to my Mac... Then it say UNLOCK... well then it say error saying that card does not supported. However it right away have full bar. Soooooooo... I'm happy now...
    I concur with this news bit. If you buy the phone full price and replace it with a non-AT&T SIM, phone is unlocked =)

I got my 64GB for $914.80!

Still have the yellowish tint people are reporting about, but no biggie, because my iPhone4 was the same way; it'll work itself out.

Slapped on a full body invisible shield. Restoring from backup...

There was no way I could wait for a NOVEMBER UNLOCK RELEASE!

so once you do this will it stay unlocked if you actually do want to use AT&T?

ie: you buy this..put in another SIM, lets say t-mobile....activate...get unlocked message...now you toss in the AT&T SIM...will it lock when you use itunes? will it lock if you need to do a restore and leave the AT&T SIM in the phone at a later date down the road?

because i do a lot of international travelling but when I am home in the US i use AT&T....

also are you still able to do this or has apple wised up now and they won't let you leave the store unactivated?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12