+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint iPhone 4S Customers Complain About Extremely Slow 3G Speeds

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although Sprint was recently ecstatic with the high volume of sales they just had with the launch of the iPhone 4S, it seems that Sprint iPhone 4S customers might not
    Thanks

Default Sprint iPhone 4S Customers Complain About Extremely Slow 3G Speeds

Although Sprint was recently ecstatic with the high volume of sales they just had with the launch of the iPhone 4S, it seems that Sprint iPhone 4S customers might not be feeling the same way. It has been widely known that Sprint is the only company that offers an unlimited data plan on the iPhone 4S and many people chose the carrier for that reason specifically. Apparently though, the extremely slow data speeds some users are reporting are causing a lot of frustration.

Currently there seems to be a lengthy thread on Sprint’s discussion boards, where iPhone 4S customers are reporting extremely slow data speeds. Some users are even having difficulty using Siri over 3G because of Sprint’s data network being “so unreliable.” In one case, a user mentioned that his Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off returned 3 times faster speed performance than his iPhone 4S in the same location. Another user is claiming that both his Sprint phones (the iPhone 4S and his Evo 3D) are running slow. It might just be the case of Sprint not being fully prepared for the launch of the iPhone 4S and experiencing some issues keeping up with customer demands for unlimited data.

It seems that while some users are reporting issues, others are saying they are having no problems. This points toward the possibility of signal strength or location being an issue rather than a more widespread network problem. The folks over at Gizmodo ran what seems to be a rather crude speedtest survey but their results show that Sprint has dramatically slower speeds when compared to AT&T or Verizon.

As of right now, it is unclear whether it is just launch-week related problems or w more widespread network problem with Sprint’s network. It could possibly be a combination of the two as well but we should get a clearly picture of Sprint’s ability to handle the data-hungry iPhone customers as time passes by.

Are any of you iPhone 4S Sprint customers? If so, are you experiencing this issue with your new iPhone? Share any thoughts and opinions in the comments below!

Source: Sprint's Discussion Boards
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 10-15-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks

I knew the speed was going to be slow and should improve as the Sprint upgrade plans are complete. Part of that plan is not only to roll out 4G but to increase 3G speeds on devices.
    Last edited by sobeniceguy2; 10-15-2011 at 05:15 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone VerizonIphone4_help's Avatar
    Thanks

ha ha Well I live in NM and all the carriers suck here. On verizon and for me to get 160 kps is a god send! More than half the time i'm on GPRS getting around 18kps.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sprint blows in my area. But 50 miles away, its amazingly fast. The fact that the new iPhone has no 4G radio at all is what really sucks.

Thanks

I get decent 3G speed on my evo 3D after I able to hack the network settings and removed the sprint proxy. It almost doubled. Perhaps a jailbreak app in the future will allow users to enhance/tweak network speeds with the iphone 4S.

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sprint, the Network that won't slow down your unlimited data cause it's already slow to begin with...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just ran a speedtest.net on my iphone 4 on verizon, I only get 0.42Mbps down. That's about normal for verizon. I had ATT before I switched last month and they do about 1.5Mbps down.

Thanks
    On AT&T I get 101KB/s download and 190 upload with 3 bars

Green Apple
    Thanks

Finally some people now start to notice how extremely slow is sprint... my recomendation is to switch to a better company, they claim unlimited but with not much signal in most places and extremely slow speeds.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Sprint blows in my area. But 50 miles away, its amazingly fast. The fact that the new iPhone has no 4G radio at all is what really sucks.
    Actually what people will find out is sprint may have 4g (in very select areas) but it's speed is slow 4g or not... There speed clock is not 100% accurate. Friend of mine has a 4s and his speed is the same as it was on his 4g model.

Green Apple
    Thanks

sobeniceguy2
    I get decent 3G speed on my evo 3D after I able to hack the network settings and removed the sprint proxy. It almost doubled. Perhaps a jailbreak app in the future will allow users to enhance/tweak network speeds with the iphone 4S

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

The only one who hit it on the spot, Sprints 3G is not slow and is capable of a lot faster speeds the fact of the matter is that they PROXY the data HENCE why the PING time is so high.

Big HINT people requires commcenter break and patched file, that removes there proxy. hell you can load the 0001.prl and get even faster speeds. Stop bickering either pay for the faster speeds from other carriers and pay the high rate for 2GB bandwith and END up limited anyway or go with sprint who wont limit it later on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

it'll be alright. They're so happy about the influx of iphone customers, and heavily dependent on them, that they'll appease them to make sure no one backs out w/in 30 days.

Green Apple
    Thanks

On top of that dont use speedtest.net haha that company blows for speedtesting.

Thanks

Sprint iPhone 4S for me were horribly slow on launch day, today there getting a little faster. Hopefully it continues to get faster.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sprint is and has always been a hot mess. Unlimited data I say lie! If you travel outside of their network; which is not hard to do you will be charged for data. Their network was not ready for the iphone

Thanks

I'm on sprint but I only seem to have issues using the Facebook or twitter apps everything else seems to run at a decent speed

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Um yeah, welcome to sprint.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lol. Hopefully most of you weren't to quick to jump ship straight to Sprint. Not all that glitters is gold!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Man o man!
    Quote Originally Posted by sobeniceguy2 View Post
    I get decent 3G speed on my evo 3D after I able to hack the network settings and removed the sprint proxy. It almost doubled. Perhaps a jailbreak app in the future will allow users to enhance/tweak network speeds with the iphone 4S.
    My friend, I have been saying this EXACT same thing for a while now and it just seems to fall on deaf ears, or eyes in our case. The one and only thing that I miss of Android was the ability to "tweak" carrier and radio settings. I remember having an original EVO, and was able to "remove" Sprint's data throttle by flashing a simple zip and immediately received tripple the speed I was getting before the hack. I have posted this same question at all the main modding forums, with not even one legitimate reply or thought from people interested in the subject? To me when carriers started announcing that there would be a "data throttle" put on data hungry users, this should have been first order of business for us as a modding community. I am a beginner Objective-C dev, but am not inclined enough to work that problem out on my own. amoamare, it is nice to see someone with a like mind, i hope there are a few more of us on here that can gather up the support to implement a data throttle remover for i-jailbreaking community.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I think the ookla app is having problems with 4S for some odd reason. I just looked at the review of the Ookla speedtest app and everyone says their 4 is faster than 4S. Don't know if this has to do with anything.