Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S Lacks Enable 3G Switch in Network Settings

Default iPhone 4S Lacks Enable 3G Switch in Network Settings

This is just odd. Apple’s iPhone 4S lacks the “Enable 3G” switch found in Apple’s other versions of the iPhone.

The switch, found in the Network Settings Menu, allows users to switch of 3G data on their device, prolonging their battery life, especially in areas where 3G is absent. A reader tipped Engadget off with a photo of their 4S on Vodafone’s network, showing the switch was absent. Engadget checked their 4S running on AT&T’s network here in the U.S. and confirmed that it too lacked the enable 3G switch.

While this isn’t a make or break issue, it does seem odd that Apple would prevent users looking to optimize their battery life from doing so. Apple hasn’t officially responded to questions regarding the reason for dropping the switch on 4S devices. Apple’s other phones (3GS, iPhone 4) that are upgraded to iOS 5 still have the option available in their Network Settings, so this isn’t an iOS 5 specific issue.

AT&T users specifically might have an issue not being able to turn of 3G services on their phone. AT&T’s 3G coverage is poor bordering on horrible in many areas. Unless the 4S is somehow optimized to no search for 3G towers constantly, many owners in rural, or poor 3G service areas could see a considerable drop in battery life.

Source: Engadget
    Last edited by i.Annie; 10-15-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Hm, that is weird. Edit: just read the answer to my question lol. Yeah that's weird.

Apple doesn't want you to be reminded that you are NOT on 4G.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dizi For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-15-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Dizi View Post
    Apple doesn't want you to be reminded that you are NOT on 4G.
    so true haha

IT'S MANBEARPIG!
    I told you it was real!

Device: iPhone 2G 16 GB
    Firmware: 2.2.1 Unlocked + Jailbroken w/ Quickpwn.
    Computer: Windows XP & Vista (64 Bit)

unbelievable!!! how long the developers had to make all tests on iOS5 and now!!!! no coments!!!

Default Answer
    Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    fixed in 5.0.1?
    I'm guessing It's because Siri needs a fast connection. I've already run into issues with the poor connection, Siri can't process the information fast enough and complains. If 3G is turned off...Siri wouldn't work and people would piss and moan about that instead.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to swinger360 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (10-16-2011)

Now I'm kinda glad I'm stuck with a 4

3G by me sucks planetarium ballz
    I'm always using edge and connected to wifi here. I only care for 3G to be on when I'm using gps. So far I'm still not convinced to actually want the 4S

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So that means there is 3G, you just can't turn it off, right? Weird.

Thanks

Is it just me or does the carpet look darker next to the black iPhone and lighter next to the white one?

Quote Originally Posted by swinger360 View Post
    I'm guessing It's because Siri needs a fast connection. I've already run into issues with the poor connection, Siri can't process the information fast enough and complains. If 3G is turned off...Siri wouldn't work and people would piss and moan about that instead.
    I concur. I have run into problems with Siri and have had perfect connection. I can't imagine what it would be like running on a slower network. Honestly, I have enjoyed the phone but itís frustrating when the features don't always work. I have had periods of up to 30 minutes today when the Siri function didn't even work. It completely just bugged out. Not even a response just circling purple lights for minutes at a time, and had all 5 bars, showing full service. Not fun when you are trying to show off your new iPhone. lol...

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm seems to me that 3G switch shouldn't be absent, rather it should also have one for 4g/hspa+ next to it!

Can this be fixed by a simple jailbreak tweak?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

When this gets jailbroken, will the 3G SBSettings still turn it off or will it be redundant?

posted in place
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0079.png   -img_0078.png  
    Last edited by sabes143; 10-15-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add pictures

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What was the whole thing about the switching back and fourth between the two antennas on the "lets talk iPhone keynote" talking about? Was that not about it switching from 3G to 2G for optimum performance and power usage? Just a guess..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have an Iphone 4, just upgraded to IOS 5 and I too don't have the enable/disable 3G. So this also happens on Iphone 4 !

2G's not only good for battery life, but also when the 3G reception is bad I'll turn it off and have ether phone calls.

I guess this is Apple's way of telling you to jailbreak ;D

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birken View Post
    I have an Iphone 4, just upgraded to IOS 5 and I too don't have the enable/disable 3G. So this also happens on Iphone 4 !
    I have the enable/disable 3G and I also have an iPhone 4 iOS 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Birken View Post
    False, I have it on my iPhone 4 on 5.0.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast