Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Siri Assistant Has Limited Features Outside of U.S, Updates Coming 2012

Thanks

Default Siri Assistant Has Limited Features Outside of U.S, Updates Coming 2012

The biggest exclusive feature found in the iPhone 4S has to be Siri, Apple’s take on the virtual assistant. It’s definitely something that can be considered a “world-changing event" if you can ask your iPhone questions or issue commands, and then have it go off and complete the task.

It seems like Siri isn’t keeping everyone happy as it was quickly discovered today that the personal assistant isn’t available for iPhone 4S owners outside of the U.S. A number of reports on the internet and Twitter are stating that users in countries such as Canada and the UK are finding issues with functionality that Apple showed off at the “Let’s Talk iPhone” event last week and in their promotional videos. New iPhone 4S owners in other countries are reporting that certain tricks Siri can do, such as finding nearby restaurants, don’t work properly. When asking Siri to do something location based, Siri seems to politely refuse, informing users that the feature is only available to those in the United States and more specifically when speaking English. Issues which have been reported for international 4S users include the following:

• Searching for a business is limited to US users.
    • Map directions and traffic data unavailable outside of the US.
    • Siri has trouble with "very specific" English accents aside from US, UK, and Australian accents.
    • Wolfram Alpha integration is only available to English-speaking countries at the moment.

Rest assured, this isn’t going to remain an issue permanently. Apple referred to Siri being in “beta” and they have said in the past and across their website that “features may vary by area.” Furthermore, in Siri’s FAQ found on the company’s website, Apple has mentioned that "Maps and local search support will be available in additional countries in 2012" and "In 2012, Siri will support additional languages, including Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Spanish."

Although the iPhone 4S may not be a full-featured “world-phone” just yet, it’ll get there soon enough.

Source: MacStories

NOOOOOOOO i was only really getting the 4s for this feature oh well i suppose 2012 isnt that far away still getting my new iphone on 21st october!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lewnsy78 View Post
    NOOOOOOOO i was only really getting the 4s for this feature oh well i suppose 2012 isnt that far away still getting my new iphone on 21st october!!
    Which country do you live in?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,493 Times in 7,088 Posts

Figured those type of things wouldn't work where I live anyway.

So is not world-phone.....

I still enjoy my iPhone 4S
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Unlike Apple to release something that is unfinished.I suppose they needed SOMETHING decent to help sell the 4S in the US, so they rushed it out.

They did say "beta" at the keynote
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

They announced that it would be like this, during the launch event! Did nobody pay any attention?!

No maps of traffic? are you serious? I can get maps and traffic on google maps on my iphone in Canada, so why can't siri just read it to me?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am sure this will be changed in short time, although "short" to Apple may mean something very different than what it means to the averae Joe.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

Siri seems to politely refuse"
    Hahaha. Come on guys at least Siri is polite about it!! Ha
    El Zurdo

You can use Voice Actions works great

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

and the main reason why ppl buy the 4s is not even working lol. gj releasing an unfinished product apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow... That's a bummer. I mean, I'm happy with my 4s but I'd be kinda pissed outside the US.

ask siri what her favorite color is

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lewnsy78 View Post
    LISTEN PEOPLE!!!! Siri is NOT NEW! I've had the app for more than a year (of course it is now useless on my i4, because upon launch it now says "sorry, I'm at home with the 4s now". It is NOT at all NEW nor is it everything Apple makes it out to be. Yes it's cool how it will pull up the type of restaurants you want or the closest gas station but my ATT Navigator does the same thing. As for the texting voice recognition feature.....um, JUNK! It never worked and unless they completely redesigned it, which I've seen they haven't, don't let it be your buying point, because Siri is not worth 199, 299, or 399. If anything buy for the dual core and 64 GB (really? I can't fill up my 32 GB and I have a massive amount of music, pictures, apps, and cydia installs).

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbrinks711 View Post
    ask siri what her favorite color is
    Haha nice.

Hahaha dude, ask her "What is the meaning of life."

By 2012?? Thats another year and nex gen iphone will be out..id just go for that

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Haha nice.

Hahaha dude, ask her "What is the meaning of life."
    It's not a her or he. I have asked and it said none.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast