+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S Passes Death Grip Scrutiny So Far

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iPhone 4S Passes Death Grip Scrutiny So Far

Shortly after the iPhone 4 was released during the summer of 2010, the first serious "iPhone scandal" - sans the lost prototype debacle - manifested in a little something that came to be known as the "death grip" phenomenon. Many - but not all users - began reporting dropped calls and total loss of signal whenever they touched (with bare hands) a particularly sensitive part of the handset, thereby exploiting an apparent weakness in the iPhone 4's antenna design.

Consequently, in the wake of Apple running wild with a free bumper program to quell the anxious masses, many wondered if “Antennagate” would rear its ugly head once more via the iPhone 4S. Well, fortunately for current and prospective owners of the new iPhone 4S, it appears that the "death grip" is dead and buried once and for all.

So how did Apple remedy the problem that perpetually made headlines throughout the summer of 2010? The iPhone 4S represents Apple's switch to a dual antenna design. As a result, the device is capable of switching antennas to maximize signal. Simply put, the is no conceivable way to "hold it wrong." And all the tests so far confirm that the iPhone 4's antenna issues won't see new life in the iPhone 4. Want to see for yourself?

Check out the video above from Italy’s iSpazio. In the demo, you can see that the iPhone 4S minimizes the loss of signal that was experienced via the iPhone 4 when users "held it wrong" (man, do I hate that phrase.) Even if you don't speak Italian, take a look and see how the improved antenna design eliminates last year's most persistent iPhone problem.

Source: iSpazio

Thanks

Lol I was wAiting to hear that
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

now I want a 4S ! They sound so simple and the same as the 4, but I am being pulled into buying one

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Lol I was wAiting to hear that
    Me too... I was wondering when the first reports would be out on that. Now if ATT could only provide better un-interrupted reception. Us ATT users (in areas where dropped or week signal occurs-to be fair). Would have cell phone iUtopia! Lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's good to hear. I still will buy a case though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NiteStar's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with this article in that the "death grip" doesn't appear to be there, but I do seem to have a reception issue. I've owned the 3GS and 4 and have never had any problems getting reception of 1 to 2 bars at work. Today with my 4s, I was losing signal constantly. Maybe, just maybe, it was just the local antenna in the area having issues, but that would be quite a happenstance. I'm going to restore the phone just to see if somehow that alleviates the issue.

btw The reason I agree with the death grip issue being gone is that on the way home, there is a certain corner I go past that I go to 1 bar on with the 3GS and a 4s that uses a case. Without the case, I would lose a signal everytime just driving by for 2 seconds. Today I was talking on my 4s and even came to a stop at the red light at the corner and it didn't act up even once. I was happy about that. Probably will still go get a case for it though since I've gotten used to having one and the added protection, as little as that is. lol
    Last edited by NiteStar; 10-14-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah what about the proximity sensor issue??

The 20th Member
    Thanks

yay!!! they fixed it no i cant hold my phone the wrong way

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    + eleventy five bajillion!

I never experienced death grip, nor could I re-create it on any iPhone 4 I tried it on, but the prox sensor issue was horrible! To the extent I hit the home button after answering or initiating a call.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NiteStar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    I haven't been able to really use it long enough to tell yet. So far so good though.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Me too... I was wondering when the first reports would be out on that. Now if ATT could only provide better un-interrupted reception. Us ATT users (in areas where dropped or week signal occurs-to be fair). Would have cell phone iUtopia! Lol
    I can't obviously speak for dropped calls (not enough time has passed) but the call quality seems to be noticably different. So much so that the first call I made I was actually shocked at the clarity and wasn't expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStar View Post
    I agree with this article in that the "death grip" doesn't appear to be there, but I do seem to have a reception issue. I've owned the 3GS and 4 and have never had any problems getting reception of 1 to 2 bars at work. Today with my 4s, I was losing signal constantly. Maybe, just maybe, it was just the local antenna in the area having issues, but that would be quite a happenstance. I'm going to restore the phone just to see if somehow that alleviates the issue.
    I had the exact opposite experience. Not necessarily more bars, but with the 4 my bars always dance around, especially here in the basement at work. It's always going from three to one or somewhere in between. Now I get a nice rounded 2 bars that seem not to be wavering at all.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

It's kind of obvious they wouldn't let you find same glitches as the first iPhone 4. It's Apple come on now =)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    It's kind of obvious they wouldn't let you find same glitches as the first iPhone 4. It's Apple come on now =)
    But they weren't glitches remember?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

the death grip on the 4 was while holding it in the left hand..this video clearly shows someone using their right hand.Thus this video holds no ground.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yea that's the wrong hand. The death grip only happened when you used the left hand.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

I must be lucky because I NEVER had "death grip" issues on either one of my iPhone 4's. I never had a dropped call that wasn't due to being 30-50 miles into Lake Michigan or the Pacific Ocean. I am actually surprised how far offshore I'm able to use my 4. I never had that ability via the 3G or 3GS.
    I am still waiting a good 4-6 months before I purchase the 4s simply because there are just way to many issues on EVERY iPhone upon it's release and thank God I've never had any issues except on my gf's white iPhone 4 when they were first released. It took 4 phones to get it right. The first 3 iPhones would just constantly turn off or reboot themselves and wouldn't take a charge more than 9%. Thankfully no issues on the 4th. I got my iPhone 4 the first day of release and it has never been in for repair nor has it had any issues that I haven't been able to solve myself (knock on wood).

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

So far i love my new 4S and the signals been great. All in all, it's quite an improvement over my old trusty 3g. I did however return the first one I got today as neither I nor the AT&T reps could get Siri or the voice to text features to work.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    didn't matter what hand you used. if you bridged the gap between the two sections of the metal band, even with a finger tip, reception declined precipitously.

Thanks
    Im a southpawed cat and never had any issue with the death grip. I've had it for a year now. I'm tempted to go the 4s route but I'm happy with the 4.
    But it does look nice and shiny.