Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Three-Quarters of iPhone 4S Buyers Are 'Upgraders'

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Three Quarters of iPhone 4S Buyers Are 'Upgraders'

In the early morning hours of Friday, investment firm Piper Jaffray polled more than 500 iPhone 4S buyers at an assortment of Apple retail stores. Despite the relatively small sample of buyers surveyed, a persistent trend emerged: the overwhelming majority of iPhone 4S buyers are already iPhone owners/users.

According to the data collected, nearly three-quarter (73%) of iPhone 4S buyers are "upgraders" from a previous model/generation iPhone. By comparison, a similar day-of-launch poll last year showed that 77% of iPhone 4 buyers were also upgraders.

"We believe Apple has built brand loyalty not enjoyed by the Android platform," analyst Gene Munster said in reference to the poll, noting his belief that Apple will sell between 2 million and 2.5 million iPhone 4S units this weekend alone. Given how many buyers are opting for the high end-model of the iPhone 4S, Apple's revenues during the 72-hour launch weekend could be staggering.

This morning's poll showed that nearly one in every five iPhone 4S buyers is springing for the 64GB iPhone 4S model, which costs $399. Still, the bulk of buyers (49% to be exact) are taking the 16GB model for $199, while 32% are falling in the middle-range with their purchase of the 32GB model for $299.

Source: CNET

with icloud, u don't need mucn gb? 4-8gb is more then enough?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Garbage in, garbage out.Most of the people getting an iPhone for the first time will not care enough to line up outside of a store. The headline is misleading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Garbage in, garbage out.Most of the people getting an iPhone for the first time will not care enough to line up outside of a store. The headline is misleading.
    probably an extremely valid variable that the group conducting the study didn't consider. Id be willing to bet that a HUGE percentage of people deciding to try an iphone for the first time and pop that apple cherry, wont be in line at launch. I know I wasn't in line for my first iPhone, however I will absolutely seriously consider it for the launch of the 5 next year or whatever.(obviously depending on whats new, etc..)

good point!
    make it a great day!

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm going to get a iPhone 4s. I still don't know if I'm going to be a regular upgrade (my brother is due for a upgrade) or if I'm going to be an early upgrade but I will have one these in my hands no later than Tuesday.

FFS, your doing it again. This is not news, rumour, fact or even gossip. It's just a pointless press release from a company trying to get some press out of the 4s release.

Seriously, why do you publish this crap? It's not as if it's a quiet news week either!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    Heck no, iCloud stores backups and downloaded songs - but not apps - I have 13 gigs of apps on my iPod Touch and still counting.

I cannot believe that 73% are upgraders. Actually, it is called being a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    Heck no, iCloud stores backups and downloaded songs - but not apps - I have 13 gigs of apps on my iPod Touch and still counting.

I cannot believe that 73% are upgraders. Actually, it is called being a fanboy.
    Most of them are 3g or 3gs users so they deserve to get this phone but the ones with the iphone 4 and upgrading are considered fanboys buying something that looks exactly the same but with betta specs

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I would be willing to bet that this early in the game statistics were similar for the iPhone 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
    Most of them are 3g or 3gs users so they deserve to get this phone but the ones with the iphone 4 and upgrading are considered fanboys buying something that looks exactly the same but with betta specs
    Or it could be that others like me want the faster/better hardware because it's faster/better hardware. Siri will be my hero if I no longer have to type my text. Waiting on my 64gb 4Steve.
    The moral of the story is hater's be hatin'... don't be a hater.

-8c9e6240-742f-4870-9d67-d2ac460e097a.jpg
    Last edited by luvmytj; 10-14-2011 at 04:55 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

every year this is the case. it's awlays upgrades more than fresh sign ups.

I walked into my local Carphone Warehouse at 12pm today, and walked out 30 minutes later having upgraded my 3G to a 4S! No preorder, no queue, no fuss, the place was empty and they'd sold one 4S all morning!

Thank god for out of town shopping centres lol

Annoyed by Sprint, I have 10 months left and it will cost me 650 bucks for the 16GB version. But I did mess around a little bit with the iPhone 4S at the Sprint store. I turned off WiFi and tried the speech to text and it failed all 3 times I tried it and Siri didn't recognize me either. It just didn't seem like it was all that fast data wise that is
    Last edited by GrandMstrBud; 10-14-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If the 64GB came in at $300 I would have purchased that. Opted for the 16GB instead. Saved $200 and that extra space would have just been a convenience. As it stands I haven't used over 10GB on any of my phones anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    If you have lot's of music (or other media) that you didn't buy on iTunes, that 5GB of free iCloud storage is a drop in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Annoyed by Sprint, I have 10 months left and it will cost me 650 bucks for the 16GB version. But I did mess around a little bit with the iPhone 4S at the Sprint store. I turned off WiFi and tried the speech to text and it failed all 3 times I tried it and Siri didn't recognize me either. It just didn't seem like it was all that fast data wise that is
    This is why I went back to ATT (with unlimited). The best thing Sprint had going for them was yearly upgrades. Sure they have unlimited data if you are willing to wait for your content to download.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-14-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Or it could be that others like me want the faster/better hardware because it's faster/better hardware. Siri will be my hero if I no longer have to type my text. Waiting on my 64gb 4Steve.

Instead of just faster/better hardware why not wait for the iphone 5 and get the best of both worlds it will be redesigned and will have faster/better hardware but its up to you im not a hater i love iphones

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post

OK, LISTEN! Wtf do people think Siri is something new? I've had the app on my i4 for over a year! I'm just pissed that those of us who got the app a long time ago have got screwed and has had it removed "home to the 4s" (as the app says when trying to launch it now). Apple is acting like this is all new technology or something and it's some how a huge selling factor. Siri really isn't that great, nor does it work like they claim. It never worked correctly for the texting voice recognition, unless they came up with an entirely new platform. I'd be pissed if I was an upgraded and Siri was my biggest reason to buy, because IT'S NOT AT ALL WHAT THEY MAKE IT TO BE!!!!

There is a difference between the app and the 4S feature. The app was limited to itself. This is built into the OS and has hooks every where no extra app needed.

I was one of the upgrades from a 3gs definently not impressed at all, thinking of returning it I will lose 35 bucks but owell I even bought the 64g maybe should of bought the samsung, can I transfer all my songs and vids to a Droid type phone?anyone.

Of course, they are mindless idiots that will buy anything Apple puts in front of them. They like being spoon fed.

Quote Originally Posted by Isquirt View Post
    I was one of the upgrades from a 3gs definently not impressed at all, thinking of returning it I will lose 35 bucks but owell I even bought the 64g maybe should of bought the samsung, can I transfer all my songs and vids to a Droid type phone?anyone.
    Nope, apple puts their own special DRM in to lock them to only Apple devices. *cough monopolistic cough*

thanks for being so kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast