Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Set Custom Vibrations in iOS 5

Default [How To] Set Custom Vibrations in iOS 5

You now have the option in iOS 5 to create and use your own custom vibration notifications.

This feature is pretty neat. You can set a custom vibration for your phone calls. You can use any of the pre-built-in vibrations or you can make your own. The five preloaded vibrations are: Alert (the long vibration that you experience when you get an incoming phone call), Heartbeat (simulates the pulse of a heartbeat), Rapid (a fast-paced and light vibration), S.O.S. (a morse code vibration, simulating S.O.S.), Symphony (simulates a song beat). The one that is selected will apply to any phone calls that you receive by default. Here is a handy little guide to enabling custom vibrations.

To gain access to the new interface, the first thing you need to do is enable it. To do this, follow the image above by going into your Settings app, then tapping on General, then tapping on Accessibility, then turning Custom Vibrations on. Once you do that, go back to the main screen in your Settings app and move on to the next step.

Now, to actually find the interface, once you are in the main Settings screen, tap on Sounds, then tap on Vibration, then tap Create New Vibration. Doing this will take you to the interface that allows you to make your own custom vibrations. More on that, below.

This is the main interface for creating your own vibrations. Where it says, “Tap to create a vibration pattern” you will need to tap respectively every time you want to feel a vibration. So if I tap the screen two times fast, then pause, then tap again, I will get a vibration result showed by the middle picture. With the picture on the right, the bar above the Play button shows what your vibration will feel like. The darker portions represent vibrate and the lighter portions represent pause. As you tap the screen, a liquid-like vibration will appear notifying you that the phone just recorded your tap as a vibration. You can test out your vibration by tapping the Play button, or you can save the vibration by tapping the Record button. It will take about a minute to process.

So what do you think about this feature? Has the normal vibration just been extremely loud in class and are you looking to pick a quieter vibration method? If so, check this out and leave a comment below!

Thanks

I can do with a quieter vibration. I hate it when you get a call and everyone starts to turn their heads your way... lol!

Thanks

I think this is a great feature. I make my own ring and text sounds and then create custom vibrations to match the songs I picked.

nice! not sure what kind of vibration i'll want to setup but iv'e turned the feature on anyways and good to know that it's there -Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    I think this is a great feature. I make my own ring and text sounds and then create custom vibrations to match the songs I picked.
    That's a cool idea, I didn't think about that.

BTW thanks for the article Anthony, I like tips/tricks ones like these

-Luke

So can u set the vibration patterns for texts and other alerts?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

default vibration now set to "time lord heartbeat"

Thanks

this is a welcomed addition. Sometimes I miss phone calls or text because I couldn't feel or hear my phone vibrating in my pocket.

Thanks

Nice addition as well. Just when I got use to the phantom vibrations I now can drive my self crazy with custom phantom jirations. Very cool.