Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ultrasn0w for iOS 5 Now Available

Default Ultrasn0w for iOS 5 Now Available

One of the many questions that people have been asking in regards to jailbreaking iOS 5 is whether ultrasn0w was going to be updated for iOS 5 in the coming future. Until yesterday, no one knew what the status was of ultrasn0w on iOS 5. MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd) tweeted out yesterday however that the team was waiting to release an ultrasn0w update until a scheduled Mobile Substrate update was released (update is available now). It was only a matter of time until that time came.

The ultrasn0w Twitter feed (@ultrasn0w) just tweeted out that ultrasn0w has been updated to support iOS 5. The link in the tweet directs to the iPhone Dev-Team Blog which has a post that goes into lengthy detail on what ultrasn0w for iOS 5 is all about. Read below to get the entire post directly from the iPhone Dev-Team Blog. Please read EXTREMELY CAREFULLY:

We’ve updated ultrasn0w to be compatible with iOS5, which came out a few days ago. While ultrasn0w 1.2.4 doesn’t add support for any new basebands, the update is required for any ultrasn0w unlockers trying out iOS5 (it remains backwards compatible though, so you should be able to use it no matter what firmware you have).

The supported basebands for the iPhone 3G and 3GS are 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, and 06.15.00. The baseband supported for the iPhone4 is 01.59.00.

Remember, the only way to get to iOS5 while preserving your ultrasn0w-compatible baseband is by using a custom IPSW. redsdn0w now has the ability to create such a custom IPSW for you (at least on Macs…the same capability for Windows will be coming soon).

The majority of people who use ultrasn0w at iOS5 right now will probably be those with old-bootrom iPhone3GS devices, since they already have an untethered jailbreak via redsn0w. For everyone else, the iOS5 jailbreak is currently tethered and you need to “Just boot” tethered with redsn0w every time your phone reboots. That’s not always easy to do if your phone reboots while away from home!

Note: there’s a special “trick” that iPhone3GS owners with baseband 06.15 need for iOS5. During the new setup screens you see when you start iOS5 for the first time, you’ll be asked about Location Services. Be sure to select “Disable Location Services” when asked! Later on in the setup, you’ll have the chance to turn on Location Services again when asked if you want to use “Find my iPhone”. It’s fine to turn it back on at that point, if that’s your desire (or you can always go in and enable it in Settings.app).

Also, some iPhone3GS users with the 06.15 baseband may have tried to install iOS5 using a stock IPSW (even though you should never ever try to use a stock IPSW if you’re an ultrasn0w unlocker). If you did try this, your baseband is probably in an inconsistent state, and you’ll need to reflash the 06.15 baseband again (using redsn0w). Be very careful if you use redsn0w to reflash the iPad baseband — don’t interrupt the process1 And please avoid using stock IPSWs in the future Unlockers should never go near stock IPSWs.

If you need to use redsn0w for any of the above tasks, please make sure it’s version 0.9.9b4 or higher, which is available here.

Enjoy!
    Here's what to take away from this update on ultrasn0w:

• The supported basebands for the iPhone 3G/3GS are 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, and 06.15.00
    • The baseband supported for the iPhone 4 is 01.59.00
    • The only way to get to iOS 5 while preserving the ultrasn0w-compatible baseband is by using a custom IPSW (redsn0w 0.9.9b5 currently only supports Mac (Windows coming soon - Windows users use sn0wbreeze v2.8 beta 8 at this time)
    • The iOS 5 jailbreak is still tethered except for iPhone 3GS old bootrom users
    • iPhone 3GS users with the baseband 06.15.00 need to make sure to do the special trick as mentioned in the post
    • Unlockers should never go near stock IPSWS

NOTE: This ultrasn0w update only supports existing basebands. There is no new unlock at this time.

Source(s): ultrasn0w , iPhone Dev-Team Blog
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 10-14-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Confirmed!!! I'm using 3GS baseband 05.11.07. Created IPSWS from Sn0wbreeze 2.8b8 and ultrasn0w worked like a charm, untethered - of course lol
    Thanks so much guys....

BTW, iBooks & Stanza crashed (not that I cared, just let you dev guys know)

is this untethered jailbreak on iPhone 4 CDMA?
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    Um, no. Did you read the post?
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Going to be great to see the untethred iPhone 4 happen. Keep up the great work Dev Team

Thanks
    Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,646 Posts

Awesome, thanks

Great timing

The iOS 5 jailbreak is still tethered except for iPhone 3GS old bootrom users
    I'm sure when the untethered JB is out, it will be a big headline.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the sn0ws? I've been jailbreaking since 3.x and I've always wondered. I've never had to use either redsn0w or ultrasn0w because there's always been geohot's one button jailbreak or the jailbreakme. I used redsn0w for my current tethered jailbreak on 5.0. Anyways, I'd like some clarification.

Tl;dr: what is a "sn0w", and what's the difference between red and ultra and any other colors?
    So I prison break my phone and use Chlamydia to install un-padlocked applications, then I somehow use a Snowboard to change the way my African Safari looks?

iphone 3GS with BB 06.15.00 tethered or untethered?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mysterion View Post
    is this untethered jailbreak on iphone 4 cdma?
    fail
    Dont be that guy..!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Razorinthe60s's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there a way to enter iPhone into dfu without power button? Dropped iPhone and broke power button.
    Don't allow others to tell you What you Can and What you can't Do. Live that's your only option.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spenny View Post
    Can someone please tell me the difference between the sn0ws? I've been jailbreaking since 3.x and I've always wondered. I've never had to use either redsn0w or ultrasn0w because there's always been geohot's one button jailbreak or the jailbreakme. I used redsn0w for my current tethered jailbreak on 5.0. Anyways, I'd like some clarification.

Tl;dr: what is a "sn0w", and what's the difference between red and ultra and any other colors?
    Redsn0w is a jailbreak program to jailbreak an iPhone (put cydia on ur springboard).
    Ultrasn0w is sub program (within cydia) that unlocks the iPhone 4 with a rare baseband 01.59.00 only! as it also supports other rare 3GS basebands specifically noted. Ultrasn0w also unlocks the original iPhone and iPhone 3G without a hitch!

Any other sn0w colors r considered userland jailbreaks by people that created a jailbreak to put cydia on there springboard and some are very good ideas.

Tethered jailbreaks r a hassle because depending on the tweaks or cool cydia apps u may need to reboot and lose the jailbreak and/or more.
    Untether jailbreaks r preferred as it doesn't require a computer to reboot in case ur phone needs to be powered off.
    Last edited by mikerlx; 10-14-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Now all we need is some untethered action! I'm chomping at the bit to jump onto iOS 5..

I'm pretty sure redsn0w is just the predecessor to ultrasn0w. They are used for unlocking the devices, not the jailbreak process. I could be wrong, but that's what I have gathered.

^^ yup. I was wrong haha. I knew ultrasn0w was unlocking but I have never used redsn0w. I have always used pwnage tool to preserve the baseband in case I ever needed an unlock, but now redsn0w can do that as well. I was confusing myself as I was trying to explain it.

Reading the article before commenting usually helps...
    Last edited by khaoticsquirrel; 10-14-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Razorinthe60s View Post
    Is there a way to enter iPhone into dfu without power button? Dropped iPhone and broke power button.
    I recommend restoring to a lower firmware and using jailbreakme.com

Green Apple
    Thanks

redsn0w is a jb tool, just like geohotz's jailbreakme.com
    ultrasn0w an unlocking tool, for people who want to use a non-original carrier
    sn0wbreeze is also a jb tool, just like redsn0w but for windows, red is for mac

hope that clarifies it

Quote Originally Posted by malevo View Post
    redsn0w is a jb tool, just like geohotz's jailbreakme.com
    ultrasn0w an unlocking tool, for people who want to use a non-original carrier
    sn0wbreeze is also a jb tool, just like redsn0w but for windows, red is for mac

hope that clarifies it
    pretty sure geohot's work was all in the form of ra1n, jailbreakme.com was comex.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3239680&dateline=1295  582579

nvm
    Last edited by bgdre12; 10-14-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: fixed the problem

No. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by brokensword View Post
    Confirmed!!! I'm using 3GS baseband 05.11.07. Created IPSWS from Sn0wbreeze 2.8b8 and ultrasn0w worked like a charm, untethered - of course lol
    Thanks so much guys....

BTW, iBooks & Stanza crashed (not that I cared, just let you dev guys know)
    I dont think jailbreAking is what crash your ibooks& stanzA, they crash on my to be jailbroken iphone4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast