+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint and Verizon's CDMA iPhone 4S Unlocking Policies Defined

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Sprint and Verizon's CDMA iPhone 4S Unlocking Policies Defined

If you were about to buy a Sprint iPhone 4S and planned to use its unlocked micro-SIM card slot to avoid the hefty international roaming charges, it appears that it is a limited time offer.

The folks over at Macworld relayed a statement from Sprint regarding plans to unlock the iPhone 4S’ micro-SIM slot. If customers are “in good standing” with Sprint, then they can request an unlock for their device. The unlocked slot can then be used in conjunction with a prepaid micro-SIM in order to use inexpensive local carriers while traveling (or for you T-Mobile users, with your T-Mobile SIM card and 2G capabilities). On the other hand, if you don’t request for it, you will be stuck using Sprint’s international roaming plans while abroad.

What it pretty much comes down to is – if you planned to jump ship to Sprint for their unlimited data plan, you should go the extra mile and call Sprint’s customer service to get your phone unlocked for use of the feature. For those of you who are on Verizon, the slot will be locked up on the iPhone 4S and you will be required to have a minimum of 60 days of “good standing” before you can call in to get an unlock for your device.

The iPhone 4S is the first iPhone to be launched as a “world phone” with both CDMA and GSM capabilities, giving users the options to hop between both networks. This allows users who are on CDMA networks, such as Sprint and Verizon, the option to tap into GSM networks from the same device. As a quick note, Apple will also offer fully unlocked and contract-free versions of the iPhone 4S in a number of countries (with U.S availability beginning in November). The one caveat to the unlocked version is that it will only work on GSM networks and not CDMA.

So how many of you are getting the iPhone 4S on Sprint or Verizon? Will you be in “good standing” to get your iPhone 4S unlocked for GSM usage? Share any thoughts and comments below!

Source: Macworld

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

I still think the US government should mandate everyone work on the same frequency and GSM, it's total ******** that only AT&T has worldphone compatibility on all their phones. It totally busts my balls that I can't use my GSM phone on Verizon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if HSPA+ will work on the unlocked Sprint and Verizon 4s while on a gsm network.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So theoretically, could one buy a "locked" iphone 4s with a contract with AT&T and then leave AT&T (albeit with fees of course) and unlock the iphone using traditional unlock methods?

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

So if I got a Sprint iPhone and got it unlocked I could stick in my works SIM card and use that line during the day and flip over to my personal sprint line at night or flip flop when I want?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstunt10190 View Post
    So theoretically, could one buy a "locked" iphone 4s with a contract with AT&T and then leave AT&T (albeit with fees of course) and unlock the iphone using traditional unlock methods?
    It might be possible to do that assuming the jailbreak devs release an unlock method for the iPhone 4S.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    So if I got a Sprint iPhone and got it unlocked I could stick in my works SIM card and use that line during the day and flip over to my personal sprint line at night or flip flop when I want?
    Yes

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Sprint is so lame.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    That would be bad ***, especially if there was a way to have both lines open, like you could receive calls from Sprint or Verizon at the same time, and when you called some one you could choose which carrier to call from.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Sprint is so lame.
    WHy? Theyredoing more for their customers in this regard than att ever has.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

This is great marketing for sprint and Verizon. Maybe this will force ATT's hand to do the same. I wonder what the unlocking process will be like, i.e. take your phone to Radio Shack and the salesmen behind the counter just does it there? I can see some corruption to be had here.

Thanks

I had a white 3GS iPhone factory unlocked about a year and a half ago. It was awesome..I was using T-Mobile at the time and called customer support. I was advised they have an "iPhone Plan" ?? haha! Yes that's right T-Mobile has an iPhone plan. They switched me to it and my data started working on the iPhone. Albeit edge but its better than nothing. I didn't notice much of a difference between edge and 3g anyway. I think i'm going to purchase a 4S next month..we'll call it an early Christmas present

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as i know discovering motheds of unlocking your iphones from the jailbreak community would be near impossible and meaningless since apple now makes fatory unlocked ones, and soon every major us carriers will have iphone( all but t-mobile now)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think that selling locked phone should be illegal.As for the frequencies, it's the U.S. government that is preventing them form using the same ones, so not much can be done there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

More people will jump ship from AT&T to Sprint & Verizon for Unlocking purpose. This may force AT&T to unlock iPhone in the future.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hope forces AT&T to unlock iPhones like any other phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kory569 View Post
    I hope forces AT&T to unlock iPhones like any other phone.
    I hope so too since I go to Canada a couple times a year.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wait, Can you unlock a VZ or Sprint 4S and use it with AT&T?

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    why u asking this stupid questions?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Anybody know how the cost of a Sprint 4S + ETF (paid immediately!) compares with the cost of the unlocked GSM 4S phones that are coming in November?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    I fail to see why they are stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Anybody know how the cost of a Sprint 4S + ETF (paid immediately!) compares with the cost of the unlocked GSM 4S phones that are coming in November?
    Their ETF is $350 I think. If you were a brand new customer I doubt you would qualify for "good standing" to get an immediate unlock. People wanting to do this is likely the exact reason why they are implementing restrictions like this.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings