+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Genius Bar Policies Stricter Due To AppleCare+ and Accidental Damage Coverage

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
During last week’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” event, Apple introduced AppleCare+ for iPhone buyers. A $99 replacement for the previous $69 extended warranty plan. One of the appealing features to this
    Thanks

Default Genius Bar Policies Stricter Due To AppleCare+ and Accidental Damage Coverage

During last week’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” event, Apple introduced AppleCare+ for iPhone buyers. A $99 replacement for the previous $69 extended warranty plan. One of the appealing features to this plan included coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage , compared to the previous plan which didn’t cover any accidental damage. Furthermore, under the terms of the new plan, customers who experienced factory defects or problems with their devices, such as premature battery failure or issues with their headphones, would be covered for free for two years. The accidental damage caused by the user would cost the customer a $49 deductible, which would be considered a “service fee.” Users would also be given two full years of free software support. The caveat to the software support was that any beta software was excluded from the warranty.

Going back to the most appealing feature here, the accidental damage coverage, Apple refers to this as “ADH” (Accidental Damage from Handling) and defines it as "operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage." The ADH doesn’t provide "protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Covered Equipment.” Also excluded from coverage are "abuse, misuse, fire, earthquake or other external causes," "scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality," other wear and tear due to normal aging of the product, devices "with a serial number that has been altered, defaced or removed, or has been modified to alter its functionality or capability."

This may not appeal to everyone due to the fact that the device needs to have an issue with functionality for it to be deemed worthy of replacing for Apple employees. I can safely assume that Apple will be a bit stricter on replacing these as asking for a $49 deductible will probably reduce their profit margins. I wouldn’t exactly recommend purposely damaging your iPhone if you dented it just to get a nicer looking one. All in all though, it still is pretty nice that Apple will give you a new or refurbished model at the price of $49 as opposed to the $200 it would cost outside of the warranty.

Previously, Genius Bar employees also had the ability to waive that fee, which makes the potential value of the AppleCare+ plan seem negligible. This policy has ended though, pretty much forcing all users who expected a cheap replacement for their accidental damage to opt into the AppleCare+ plan and pay a fee each time they damage their device (with a two incident limit as well). Apple also seems to be enforcing a stricter requirement for purchasing the AppleCare+ option, mentioning that it must be purchased together with new covered equipment. The contract also goes as far as noting that it will not cover the "pre-existing condition on any Covered Equipment if you purchased the Plan after you purchased the Covered Equipment."

The price of the plan does seem pretty hefty to me but I can see where it may be appealing to others. I personally never opt in to any warranty plans and try to take care of my tech gadgets from the get-go. I haven’t had any bad luck yet but know people who do and end up jumping on warranty plans such as this one. The $49 accidental damage replacement does seem pretty appealing but I am not sure it would be worth it for someone like me who would probably never even get to take advantage of the replacements.

So what do you think of the AppleCare+ plan? Did any of you purchase it along with your iPhone 4S or plan to at the time of purchase? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Souce: Apple
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 10-11-2011 at 09:29 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Nah, I'm gonna use AT&T's $6.99 per month, $199 deductible plan. I personally have had a bad experience with Apple's AppleCare in regards to them trying to weasel out of covering what needs covered. AT&T's coverage, on the other hand, has always been stellar. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    Nah, I'm gonna use AT&T's $6.99 per month, $199 deductible plan. I personally have had a bad experience with Apple's AppleCare in regards to them trying to weasel out of covering what needs covered. AT&T's coverage, on the other hand, has always been stellar. You get what you pay for, I suppose.
    Over the course of 24 months you end up paying $168 for this insurance if you DON'T have to use it. ($69 more than Apple). If you had to replace your phone it would cost you $168 + $199 deductible = $367. With Apple it's $99 up front plus $49 deductible = $149 for the phone or $199 if you had to replace it TWICE in a 2 year period (or $566 with AT&T). I think you may want to reconsider your choice here buddy.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 10-11-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default apple care +
    do we know if they are going to let the people that have pre ordered put applecare+ on their phones being it says you have to put it on at the time of purchase

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cartergwd1999 View Post
    do we know if they are going to let the people that have pre ordered put applecare+ on their phones being it says you have to put it on at the time of purchase
    It doesn't require that you purchase it with the phone. If you read the post it says if you purchase it later it won't cover any pre existing conditions. With any Apple Care plan you can buy it up until your existing one year warranty expires.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just to let you guys know. The iPad Facebook app is now live and available in the store! It's awesome!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone else use SquareTrade? I have their coverage on my iPad but thankfully I have not had to use it. Anyone have problems getting a claim through with them? I am trying to choose protection for my new 4Steve when it gets here.
    They are offering $99 for 2 years / $50 deductible. SquareTrade
    Last edited by luvmytj; 10-11-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    Just to let you guys know. The iPad Facebook app is now live and available in the store! It's awesome!
    Thank you Captain Obvious. This was posted in the news section yesterday at 3:35pm. Welcome to the party

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Anyone else use SquareTrade? I have their coverage on my iPad but thankfully I have not had to use it. Anyone have problems getting a claim through with them? I am trying to choose protection for my new 4Steve when it gets here.
    That's the exact same pricing as Apple and you have to go through a claims process rather than a simple genius bar appointment for a swap out. Seems like a no brainier to me.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 10-11-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Over the course of 24 months you end up paying $168 for this insurance if you DON'T have to use it. ($69 more than Apple). If you had to replace your phone it would cost you $168 + $199 deductible = $367. With Apple it's $99 up front plus $49 deductible = $149 for the phone or $199 if you had to replace it TWICE in a 2 year period (or $566 with AT&T). I think you may want to reconsider your choice here buddy.
    Oh, I've thought it over. I know it will cost more. I'm saying I have had issues with Apple covering what I paid to have covered and I have not had issues with AT&T's insurance. Not once. No Apple store. No send me your iPhone first and I'll send it back in a week. No $800 holds on my account. No. I call. I place a claim. Next day, a box arrives with my gear. I package the old stuff and I'm good.

I know how Apple handles things that ARE their fault, and it's worth the scratch to me to not have to deal with them in that arena.

Had HELL trying to get a 3Gs battery replaced with AppleCare. 3 hours on the phone and 8 days without my phone later, they fixed it.

With my iPhone 4, I sent it in over a horrible proximity sensor issue. 7 days without my phone, and they send me the same phone back stating that they didn't find any issues! I called and demanded to speak with a supervisor, who could tell I wasn't bs'ing because of the random numbers my phone was dialing, randomly muting him, and randomly ending the call. I believe that convo took 4 or 5 calls due to prox issues. I told him I wasn't sending a damned thing off until I had a replacement in my hand. So, an $800 hold was placed on my card for 5 days.

That's why I don't want to deal with Apple for service. Worth the $200 in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up SquareTrade is GREAT!
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    SquareTrade is a great choice to cover your iPhone (and iPad). Just as you stated, $99.99 for 2 years but the customer service is TOP-NOTCH with a very simple claims process. From what I've seen (and of course what they advertise), they've received high ratings from consumers. I think they even have a 5 star rating on the iPhone App store w/ over 2200 ratings.

If You're interested, you can even save a little extra and get it for $94.99 by going here: Leaving Facebook... | Facebook
    Last edited by JojosMojo; 10-11-2011 at 10:31 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you Captain Obvious. This was posted in the news section yesterday at 3:35pm. Welcome to the party
    Good stuff!

That's the exact same pricing as Apple and you have to go through a claims process rather than a simple genius bar appointment for a swap out. Seems like a no brainier to me.
    Well, I can't find a 2 incident limit with Squaretrade. Also the Applecare has to be the Plus version for ADH coverage. I suppose it is somewhat equal in value to me as I don't have a close by Apple store. Also, can I still get AppleCare+ since I ordered via AT&T and not Apple. The Apple site has this quote...
    "How to get AppleCare+
    AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone."

I also noticed that the AT&T plan while the most expensive, is the only one that offers theft/loss coverage too.

Just noticed gocare.com It claims to cover jailbroken & unlocked iPhones, and no claim limits. $59 for 1 year, $117 for 2 years. Interesting.
    Last edited by luvmytj; 10-11-2011 at 10:54 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

I dropped my ip4 & cracked the front panel glass the day before the 4s was announced, and I took it to the Apple Store the next day, and they gave me a refurbished one, no questions asked! & I DON'T have Apple Care! Guess I was lucky... :-)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I second that! I have Applecare with my iPhone 4, and getting them to replace my first phone was a PITA. I made sure to have lots of videos of the phone not working, and they still wanted to just restore it and give it back. Sorry, but the bad home button isn't a software issue guys...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bish0p34 View Post
    I second that! I have Applecare with my iPhone 4, and getting them to replace my first phone was a PITA. I made sure to have lots of videos of the phone not working, and they still wanted to just restore it and give it back. Sorry, but the bad home button isn't a software issue guys...
    I just hope the proximity switch in the 4s is different than the JUNK they put in the 4. To this day, it's the most common problem I see.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hm.. I'm not sure if this is just me but I recall (and just re-read the receipt and box) and I payed 99$ for AppleCare and got coverage for my headphones and battery.. So is this new? Or just new in the states because I am in Canada. I know if I go in and say my battery life is half what it used to be they'll do a few tests and if they find it true I get sent on my merry way with a new iPhone or new battery.. No accident insurance though but still. I can make up an excuse (buzzing, faulty home button) and get a new ip4

Thanks

You should be getting an email shortly after your pre-order asking if you'd like to purchase AppleCare+. It contains your actual order number and has an apple.com domain name (so it isn't a scam):
    We noticed you weren't given the opportunity to add AppleCare+ to your iPhone. If you would like to extend your coverage for only $99, please reply to this email.
    Some users emailed Apple regarding the matter and received the following response:
    AppleCare+ will be available for iPhone 4 (8GB) and iPhone 4S pre-order customers until November 14th. After you receive your new iPhone, please contact AppleCare (1-800-275-2273) to complete your purchase.
    These are the most accurate answers to your questions as of right now. I wouldn't worry if I was you, just give AppleCare a call and inquire. As mentioned in the post, you should be able to order, anything you do before the point of receiving AppleCare+ won't be covered. i.e. you can't drop your iPhone, damage it, then try and get AppleCare+ to claim it as accidental damage.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Terms and conditions clearly state that you can purchase this within the first year as long as your are still under the apple warranty. So to those that were asking if you have to purchase at the time you buy your iphone I guess that answer is no. Which is good for me because I'm low on cheddar right now after buying the 64 gig!

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

They should have an option for people like me that have Apple Care to upgrade to Apple Care+ for the difference that I paid already. I paid $69 now I have yo pay $99 more? They got to be crazy.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigt160 View Post
    Terms and conditions clearly state that you can purchase this within the first year as long as your are still under the apple warranty. So to those that were asking if you have to purchase at the time you buy your iphone I guess that answer is no. Which is good for me because I'm low on cheddar right now after buying the 64 gig!
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that they were changing the policy for the 4s that you had to buy applecare the day you bought the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by llarsw View Post
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that they were changing the policy for the 4s that you had to buy applecare the day you bought the phone.
    Yeah here it is from another site. If you pre-ordered you have until Nov 14th to purchase. If you buy instore, you have to buy that day.

Apple offering AppleCare+ for iPhone 4 and 4S preorders until November 14th | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
    Last edited by llarsw; 10-12-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Sometimes you can find Apple Care protection deals on eBay for a cheaper price, then once you buy it, just register it with your iPhone serial number. Just wait a little and you will see some Apple Care + if they are not there already. Anyways you got 1 year to buy it, so you can wait and buy it on eBay later. They have one just now there for $42.00 but that one is the regular one.
    Last edited by javiert30; 10-12-2011 at 01:44 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App