Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5 and iPhone 4S Show Huge Performance Leap According To BrowserMark Scores

Thanks

Default iOS 5 and iPhone 4S Show Huge Performance Leap According To BrowserMark Scores

According to new benchmark tests performed on the iPhone 4S, the new device shows a significant increase in performance over the existing iPhone 4. Furthermore, iOS 5 shows a huge improvement in Apple’s devices as well. The test goes to show that software plays a big role in performance and Apple seems to be headed in the right direction in terms of efficiency.

If you look at the table, you’ll notice the that an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.1 achieved a score of 31,375 in Rightware’s BrowserMark suite of tests (which profiles the web browser proficiency of the system). In this specific table, you’ll see that a number of smartphones beat out the iPhone 4 including: Motorola’s Atrix 4G, LG’s Optimus 2X, and Samsung’s Galaxy S II. Each of these phones seem to have better processors though, but it should be noted that when upgraded to iOS 5, my iPhone 4 achieves a score much similar to these phones, with a score of 53,609. This information can conclude that Apple did quite a bit of tweaking in iOS 5 to enhance performance (at least on the browser front and we imagine the increase in performance isn’t limited to just the browser).

A quick note for everyone, you yourself can run the test on your own devices by heading to the following link: BrowserMark™ - The Browser Benchmark from Rightware

(State your firmware and post your results below as a quick comparison to test accuracy)

According to the folks over at AppVV (who have somehow managed to get their hands on the iPhone 4S early), the new iPhone 4S hardware received a score of 89,567 when running the same test. This goes to show that the iPhone 4S is packing some mean hardware improvements over its predecessors – worthy of an update, especially for those who were or still are arguing against the improvements the iPhone 4S brings to the table.

After being announced, the iPhone 4S disappointed many, as the rumors caused many to raise the bar on what to expect out of the newest iteration of the iPhone. Since then, people have started to slowly change their minds and with more information being revealed, the 4S is now seen in a new light. Furthermore, preorder sales have been the highest this year for the iPhone 4S than any other iPhone in the past as the Apple continues to broaden their audience not only by releasing the flagship device in more countries at launch but also by releasing the device on AT&T, Verizon, AND Sprint simultaneously for the first time.

The iPhone 4S is expected to be released on October 14 and hopefully many of you will be receiving your shipments that day and/or getting your hands on the device one way or another (even if it means waiting on a long line). The newest software update (iOS 5) will be available to the public on October 12, and for those of you who are too anxious and haven’t already, you should be able to get your hands on iOS 5 GM if you look around hard enough.

For those who decided to go out and buy Android devices such as the Galaxy S II, are you regretting making the purchase? I bet those of you who are waiting on your iPhone 4S are more excited than ever as more information like this pours in. Share any thoughts and comments you have below!

Source: AppleInsider

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I did 3 test (and will do more later) on my iPod touch 4G 32GB iOS 5.0 GM. Here's my results (in order):
    1st: 51191
    2nd: 52891
    3rd: 50685

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

I wonder what the discrepancies are in the test. For the other devices that are in a closer range of one another, redoing the test may rank one higher than the other if that's the case.

iOS4.3.3Safari: 35628
    Atomic Web Browser: 33461

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

On my iPhone 4 iOS 5 GM I got a score of 52238.
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

if you really want a good estimate i would personally run 10 tests. Then find the average. Maybe play around with your phone and switch what browser your using then run 10 more tests. See if multi-tasking changes the score as well. Then when you have worked many variations run the average of all averages. Overall the numbers will get closer to true accuracy though not all phones even if the same model and firmware will have the same scores they should all come very close to one another.

Thinking further into the multi - tasking affect on the score, see if larger apps cause lower scores. It would be interesting to see.

Restart your device and make Browsermark the first thing you too
    Last edited by sammo123; 10-10-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTOhaas07 View Post
    iOS4.3.3Safari: 35628
    Atomic Web Browser: 33461
    iOS 5 will help you increase that quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    if you really want a good estimate i would personally run 10 tests. Then find the average. Maybe play around with your phone and switch what browser your using then run 10 more tests. See if multi-tasking changes the score as well. Then when you have worked many variations run the average of all averages. Overall the numbers will get closer to true accuracy though not all phones even if the same model and firmware will have the same scores they should all come very close to one another.
    Seems like a good idea to mess around with. Good call!

iPhone 4 on 4.3.1 - 35616
    I will test again on Friday with my io4(s)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Good stuff to hear. As a reference, my 2011 MBP i7 is getting a score of 765935 lol
    Last edited by HighTymes; 10-10-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Ran 3x on my 3G/4.2.6 = 9122 !!!!!

Man, I can't wait for my 4S to get here on Friday!

my iPad 2 averaged 69102 on 10 runs

On my iPad 2 with iOS 5 GM I got a score of: 105,047

iPhone 4 with iOS 5: 52,755

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

on my pc i got a score of 451612

a got 35343 on my first test iPhone 4 ios 4.3.3 lol

now a got 37514. cant wait for my iPhone 4s lol
    Last edited by Kikiro Ta2s; 10-10-2011 at 07:27 PM.

iPhone 3GS iOS5 GM 41410Was very surprised by the increase as iPhone 3GS performance actually seems slower not faster under iOS5.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

My results:

All devices running 4.3.3 with Safari in same location

iPhone 4 = 37,402

IPad 1 = 45,500

IPad 2 = 69,268

iPhone 4 4.3.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Thanks

If you guys aren't running iOS 5, you'll be seeing some improvements in just a little over a day here with the release of iOS 5. I can't wait to feel the speed on the iPhone 4S though. It's going to feel so fast comparatively (or so I hope). LOL

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    iPhone 3GS iOS5 GM 41410Was very surprised by the increase as iPhone 3GS performance actually seems slower not faster under iOS5.
    Don't forget what the benchmark is testing.

"Rightware BrowserMark" - is testing web browser rendering performance, and not anything else. If you've been paying any attention, Apple's been constantly optimizing MobileSafari with each new version of iOS, largely to offset the fact that each new FW version runs slower on older hardware than the last one did.

It wouldn't be the first time Rightware has (allegedly) skewed their tests in Apple's favor.

Shame on BrowserMark/Rightware and/or Apple? - maemo.org - Talk

I'm curious if playing with the "user-agent" string would have any impact on the numbers...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast