Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Does the iPhone Have a 3.5 Inch Screen?

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Alright lets do some math. According to Apple a "retina" display is one with 300 pixels per inch or higher. I'm not sure if that's some kind of industry-standard label or something that Apple made up, but let's go with that anyway.

The iPhone screen has an aspect ratio of 1.5:1. Older models had 480x320 (landscape), while the iPhone 4 doubled those numbers to 960x640 (quadruple the number of pixels, still same aspect ratio). At 3.5" diagonal, the screen's dimensions are 1.96" x 2.94" for a pixel density of 326 ppi.

So then if they made the screen 4" diagonal while keeping the same 960x640 resolution (to keep all apps from having to be re-written), the dimensions work out to 2.22" x 3.33". or 288 ppi. To keep at least 300 ppi the screen could only be 3.85" diagonal with 640x960 resolution.

So let me ask you this, then. What is the point of a larger screen if the screen resolution stays the same? Not a whole lot, really, IMHO.
    How do you explain the android market that works on a Droid 3.5, fascinate 4", DroidX 4.3"???
    Same apps different size screens.
    --
    JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Support P.E.T.A. [PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS]

Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    How do you explain the android market that works on a Droid 3.5, fascinate 4", DroidX 4.3"???
    Same apps different size screens.
    The developers create set versions for each screen-size. They make a template for 3.5/4/4.3/etc., and then they use a decision structure in their application that uses the process of elimination to decide which screen the android device is running on. From that point it will display the resolution that matches the phone's specs. It's pretty self-explanatory, really.

The iPhone screen is the best screen I have used! I have tried 3 android phones and have returned each of them! None have the clean crisp look the iPhone gives!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can deal with the 3.5 screen. The retina display makes up for it for me, because I can text comfortably with one hand. And READ what I'm texting! Plus being in an Otterbox Defender case, I can still use it comfortably. My friend has an EVO in an Otterbox case and that thing is HUGE!!

Apple has it's reasons, and has the huge following to prove that the 3.5" screen works well.

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Well is there a keyboard option that might help me with my issue?
    I keep hitting the backspace instead of the "M", as well the "I" ends being a "O", or "U".

Thanks
    --
    JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Support P.E.T.A. [PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456