Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Does the iPhone Have a 3.5 Inch Screen?

Or you have big hands and if you have read the thread people do use one hand like I am right now typing this message. If the screen is any bigger I believe it takes it away from the smartphone category it's the 2nd reason I won't get any of the decent android phones first reason is it's android
    Click My Sig For my auros Mods

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

3.5 is perfect :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    If they changed the screen size, EVERY app in the App Store would have to be re-written.

I am content with the 3.5 inch screen. It's nice and convenient.

No? You are saying you couldnt use the same resolution on different desktop monitors? The screen size could go to 4 inches on the same resolution of 960x640. The retnia display would take a small hit in quality tho.

Thanks

i feel so cramped on the iphone screen. My galaxy S2 is AMAZING, i think its much better, one of the reasons i switched was because of the screen issue. Im happy now

You could argue this one to death but nobody would be right or wrong. It's all about personal preference and how you use the device. Personally I like the size, but I could easily see how others would like a bigger screen.

To settle this Apple should come up with an 'XL' model with larger screen. Sell it along side the standard size & consumer demand will decide.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangit View Post
    If the 4s had a bigger screen size, everyone would be jumping up and down for joy praising Apple for their job well done.
    I agree some people just side with apple because they're in love with apple. Not releasing a larger screen was not a decision on apples part. That would have taken a lot of work and they are just not there yet. If it's battery life that your worried about, when hey introduce a feature that consumes more battery they increase the battery to compensate for it. If it's app compatibility your worried about, that is apples own fault for deciding to make all their apps for a screen that can not change.
    I would't have a problem if they changed the screen to 4.25" I would get used to it and so would everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ca3 View Post
    i feel so cramped on the iphone screen. My galaxy S2 is AMAZING, i think its much better, one of the reasons i switched was because of the screen issue. Im happy now
    I agree with you.I just switched to the Galaxy S2 and love it.The screen size was why I also switched.I've had the iphone since it came out and don't regret getting a phone with a bigger screen.Makes surfing the web and gaming better.

Thanks
    My thumb can't reach all the way across my smartphone screen while I'm drinking my ****. #FirstWorldProblems

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix904 View Post
    What utter bull; 1. This "designer" must have freakishly small appendages. My thumb can reach the entire surface of a GS2 no problem. 2. How many people even use one hand to do smartphoning? Not many and not often. 3. In the end it's about the money. Steve Jobs' wallet > Chinese slave labor Questions?
    You are ignorant! How would putting a larger screen increase save labor? Also if you read the article the OP pointed out the AVERAGE thumb-span with the green highlighted area.
    Also just because u dont use your phone one handed doesn't mean a lot of people dont. I would actually say your of the minority of people that dont use one handed "smart phoning".
    Also what a statement bringing up a recently deceased persons so called greed. You have no class nor respect.

As far as a larger screen and people saying just make the resolution the same. This won't happen only for the fact there screen would not be retina any longer. I think it's funny people wold have a screen that's almost an inch bigger and an 800x400 resolution over a screen that is a great siZe having 960x480 resolution. I'm glad all you would love to sacrifice size for quality

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    If they changed the screen size, EVERY app in the App Store would have to be re-written.

I am content with the 3.5 inch screen. It's nice and convenient.
    No... if they changed the pixel DENSITY that would be the case (one could also argue that forcing apps to be written for a single pixel density and aspect ratio was a little silly to begin with (this is something android truly does right)... and technically when we got the retina screen devs were rewriting parts of their apps if they wanted higher resolution images). They could certainly keep the pixel density and still change the screen size without losing any visible quality. Don't fall for the hype. The real reason is "we just don't want to".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

I'ce owned all the iPhones, the Infuse 4g, and the S II. The infuse screen at 4.5" was too dang big even for my big hands. I could not touch the top left side of the screen when holding it with my right hand. I ended up returning it and getting the S II which I think is the perfect size. Yes the iPhone has a sharper screen but after using two phones with bigger screens I dont desire to use a phone thats half an inch to an inch smaller than what the rest of the market is releasing. I am selling my iPhone 4 and keeping my S II until next year when apple steps their game up a little more.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I would like a screen the size of the S ll but no larger.

I hope ip5 is at least 4". If apple bumps up the screen to 4" and keeps the same resolution everything should be fine. Not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie5374 View Post
    Do sharks and otters inhabit the same waters?
    I would like bigger screen within same frame.
    I think he meant "other"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

This is article is so funny! I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to start justifying why Apple kept the same screen size. What's funny is that we read over and over about how great the new 4" screen is going to be on the new iPhone. Now that everyone is stuck with the same old 3.5" screen, it's all of a sudden great and acceptable again. The hypocrisy of the writers on this site is just too funny sometimes. They will cover for their beloved Apple no matter what happens. It's actually, very sad! So when the iPhone 5 does finaly come out and has a 4" screen, we'll read articles on here about how great it is and how they can't understand why Apple kept the 3.5" screen for so long. Lol!

Thanks

I like a smaller phone so it takes up less space in my pocket.

I don't really have any complaints about a larger screen, I can't say I have ever really desired a larger screen. Since the apps just go full screen Ive never really cared.
    make it a great day!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie5374 View Post
    Do sharks and otters inhabit the same waters?
    I would like bigger screen within same frame.
    Umm yes, they do inhibit the same waters.

I've always wanted a larger screen, but then again I have quite large hands.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

What utter bull; 1. This "designer" must have freakishly small appendages. My thumb can reach the entire surface of a GS2 no problem. 2. How many people even use one hand to do smartphoning? Not many and not often. 3. In the end it's about the money. Steve Jobs' wallet > Chinese slave labor Questions?
    A lot of people use one hand, myself included. I use my phone more one handed than i do two because, just like the article pointed out, its so comfortable to do. I can reach everything comfortably, and in my personal opinion people who "smartphone" (didnt know that was a verb, cool) by holding it in one hand and poking at it with the other like a perplexed grandparent look ridiculous and hinder the full fluidity of the OS, therefore making your post utter bull, sir. And Steve doesn't have a wallet anymore
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 10-09-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    iLive an iLife

This is a missirable, backward article. One hand? Say you don't like big screens. Wow after shock of no iPhone 5. Sad.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Really? How do u think ppl text and drive? No retard would use to hands to type while driving and use there leg to hold the wheel, and most ppl are smart enough to be able to text 1 handed maybe your intelligence hasn't gotten to that level yet?
    I'm talking portrait mode only, if u it FAT fingers then landscape makes since, and not saying I only only use I hand to text

How is it about the money? Wow
    If they design a bigger phone:
    1. more ppl would jump to it
    2. Apps would get redesigned and new apps would enter(money for the AppStore and developers)
    3.ppl would stop complaining and making useless threads like this when the item has been the same size since day one

More money and pleasure all around

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast