Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Does the iPhone Have a 3.5 Inch Screen?

You guys realize that you can make the screen bigger without making the phone bigger right?

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    If they changed the screen size, EVERY app in the App Store would have to be re-written.
    Really? Then how come android apps don't have to be rewritten for difference sized screens then? You've obviously never heard of upscaling.
    Last edited by NegativeBeef; 10-08-2011 at 11:59 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    You guys realize that you can make the screen bigger without making the phone bigger right?
    Not as easy as it sounds, and if your response is going to be, "just make the screen edge to edge" then you should try that and see if the rest of the hardware will fit. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    Really? Then how come android apps don't have to be rewritten for difference sized screens then? You've obviously never heard of upscaling.
    Uh, because android apps are written with a number of resolutions prebuilt into them. If you haven't noticed all android phones have the same aspect ratio IF the screen sizes are tantamount to that ratio.
    Last edited by ChSchuldiner; 10-08-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I would have liked to see the 4s or 5 to have a larger screen. I think they are cool! My sister has a phone with a bigger screen and I love it however yes the battery drains fast on her phone.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Dustin must have a small... uh... hand.

Lol funny, this was originally on 9to5mac but half the comments were hating on it and saying it was bull.Anyways, while I do like and think the 3.5 inch is perfect, I can easily get my thumb an inch past the iPhone width wise, and I have small hands. And I'm 15. So though this is kinda moot, IMO, I wouldn't want a phone where I have to fully stretch my hand to use it single-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by crankz1 View Post
    Dustin must have a small... uh... hand.
    Well, I believe his hand was used in the picture pinned to the article. In all truth my thumb only extends 1 centimeter longer than the picture and I've been told I have long fingers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I would have liked to see the 4s or 5 to have a larger screen. I think they are cool! My sister has a phone with a bigger screen and I love it however yes the battery drains fast on her phone.
    How much larger? 4.5 or 4'??

Thanks

I wanted an iDevice with a bigger screen. So I bought an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Well, I believe his hand was used in the picture pinned to the article. In all truth my thumb only extends 1 centimeter longer than the picture and I've been told I have long fingers.
    They lied to you, then...
    Just kidding...

Personally, I'm 6'3" and the iPhone is small in my hands. I would like a larger screen to make it's way to the iPhone.

If they changed the screen size, EVERY app in the App Store would have to be re-written
    This is not necessarily true, as it's entirely possible to make a larger screen that runs at the same resolution, just like how computer monitors can have the same native res but vary in physical size.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    No.... This logic would work if you have had your otter hand bitten off by a shark...
    Do sharks and otters inhabit the same waters?
    I would like bigger screen within same frame.

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    This is not necessarily true, as it's entirely possible to make a larger screen that runs at the same resolution, just like how computer monitors can have the same native res but vary in physical size.
    If the 4 inch screen carried a resolution equal to the iPhone 4's, that would take away from the value of the retina display.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (10-09-2011)

Makes sense but I think people here are just saying that Apple should stick with the 3.5 because they like that's the screens been that size for 4 generations (soon to be 5) now. If the 4s had a bigger screen size, everyone would be jumping up and down for joy praising Apple for their job well done.

Thanks

If the 4 inch screen carried a resolution equal to the iPhone 4's, that would take away from the value of the retina display.
    Listen to this man, for he is correct.

We all know what a pixel is, right? We're all cool on surface area calculations, right? Good.

Total pixel count/total surface area of a display = pixel density. In order to increase the denominator (the physical size of the display) AND keep the same pixel density, the numerator (total pixel count, or resolution) must increase proportionally.

Keeping the same resolution and increasing the screen size drops the density, which rather ruins the whole premise of a "Retina" display. Increasing both screen size and resolution to match requires massive recoding of all apps, or upscaling. Upscaling is NOT a pretty solution--think iPhone app on a stock iPad at 2x. Jagged, oversized pixels kinda defeat a "Retina" screen as well.

This applies for more than just iPhones too... try using a VGA resolution Android app on a qHD or tablet. It's not a pretty picture.

[s]True, and I believe it wouldn't even be considered "retina" apple defines retina as being above a certain ppi, I'm not gonna do the math but I believe if it went up to 4" or past there wouldn't be enough pixels per inch to be called retina.[/s]

^^ he beat me to it

Default Really?
    If they changed the screen size, EVERY app in the App Store would have to be re-written.

I am content with the 3.5 inch screen. It's nice and convenient.
    That wouldn't be true if they kept the same resolution but just made the screen a little larger. True, that would make it fewer dpi, but if the resolution stayed the same nothing would have to be re-written

I am fine with the 3.5 screen most of the time though.

Quote Originally Posted by armypunk2003 View Post
    A friend of mind the other day got a new android device and I was like dude why you talking on a tablet. It was freakin huge. I mean for real iPhone is practical. Fits nice in pocket, easy to handle and just right to watch an occasional video.
     hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by in2k View Post
    i wanted an idevice with a bigger screen. So i bought an ipad.
    bingo
    Last edited by duromega; 10-09-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Listen to this man, for he is correct.

We all know what a pixel is, right? We're all cool on surface area calculations, right? Good.

Total pixel count/total surface area of a display = pixel density. In order to increase the denominator (the physical size of the display) AND keep the same pixel density, the numerator (total pixel count, or resolution) must increase proportionally.
    I agree, a 4 inch screen at the same AR and res would take the pixel density (ppi) down from 329 on the iPhone 4 to about 288, though still quite a bit higher than the 3G[S]'s ~164. So yes, the 3.5 screen makes the better use of that resolution, no doubt.

Keeping the same resolution and increasing the screen size drops the density, which rather ruins the whole premise of a "Retina" display. Increasing both screen size and resolution to match requires massive recoding of all apps, or upscaling. Upscaling is NOT a pretty solution--think iPhone app on a stock iPad at 2x. Jagged, oversized pixels kinda defeat a "Retina" screen as well.
    On the subject of scaling, I really don't understand why Apple chose this approach. Scaling applications just seems wrong to me. Scaling is for images and other other similar media. Applications in the desktop world normally just get re-sized. If the text ends up too small, most desktop systems allow one to increase the global font sizes.

The way I see it, iOS applications are like programs running at fullscreen or "maximized", so if the resolution is higher, the "window" should size it self accordingly, much like a window in most modern desktop systems when re-sized. I see no reason why a non-retina application can't look the same (sans embedded static images/media, like in games) on a retina and pre-retina device; on the later, it would just use higher res GUI controls, components, and elements (buttons, text boxes, etc), as well as proper text size. I would have thought this would be much more preferred to to scaling an app as if it were an image, especially when it comes to regular applications that use the standard GUI elements from the SDK (not necessarily games or non-standard GUI apps.) I also believe this applies to the iPad as well when running iPhone apps.
    Last edited by szr; 10-09-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks

Apples never gonna change the screen size it's perfect!

Thanks
    What utter bull; 1. This "designer" must have freakishly small appendages. My thumb can reach the entire surface of a GS2 no problem. 2. How many people even use one hand to do smartphoning? Not many and not often. 3. In the end it's about the money. Steve Jobs' wallet > Chinese slave labor Questions?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast