Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Working With Apple to Put '4G' in the iPhone 4S Status Bar

Ok I don't think the it's gonna happened no until the launch a new iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Saying any phone is 4G is plain wrong. LTE is not 4G it is 3.75G, LTE-A is a 4G candidate but no phone has that.
    So pumped someone else actually knows what they are talking about. Thank you. This 4G **** drives me nuts.

4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <--- THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF REAL 4G!!!
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigliquid530 View Post
    Can't wait for the sprint and Verizon commercials, when they rip into Att about there fake 4g speed
    They lie too. No carrier in the world has 4G

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    ITU say 4G has to be above 1gbit/s, which translates to 128MB/s. You have used bits in your post when you should have used bytes.
    It said 100 mbit/s on wikipedia, but maybe they're wrong
    Last edited by whereswaldo; 10-08-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

You mistakenly grouped TDMA and GSM with CDMA as 2G That is completely inaccurate. GSM is TDMA with a 200 KHz BW per RF carrier. Data speeds were and are limited to ~144 KBts on a good day. CDMA based EVDO Rev 0 offered data rates closer to and exceeding the 1.0Mb benchmark with favorable network condition, and is close to what UMTS repeatably offeres today in a typical noise limited environment. LTE networks deployed today in Verizon and emerging AT&T markets, will provide in excess of 14 MB download speeds AGAIN in optimum link conditions and has shown to deliver closer to 20 MB download but that is in more than ideal settings.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykb View Post
    You mistakenly grouped TDMA and GSM with CDMA as 2G That is completely inaccurate. GSM is TDMA with a 200 KHz BW per RF carrier. Data speeds were and are limited to ~144 KBts on a good day. CDMA based EVDO Rev 0 offered data rates closer to and exceeding the 1.0Mb benchmark with favorable network condition, and is close to what UMTS repeatably offeres today in a typical noise limited environment. LTE networks deployed today in Verizon and emerging AT&T markets, will provide in excess of 14 MB download speeds AGAIN in optimum link conditions and has shown to deliver closer to 20 MB download but that is in more than ideal settings.
    I think you mean 14Mb and 20Mb not MB. 14MB = 112Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    They lie too. No carrier in the world has 4G

It said 100 mbit/s on wikipedia, but maybe they're wrong
    100Mbit/s for moving vehicles above 50mph, 1Gbit/s for pedestrians.

Basically AT&T wants to say they have 4G just like Verizon has been pretending for a while already.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The iPhone sells itself regardless of how many G's it has in the corner haha. I really don't see why the carriers care.

The International Telecommunications Union has expanded its definition of 4G service to include WiMax, LTE and HSPA+. This decision comes a couple of months after T-Mobile and Sprint had started calling their respective HSPA+ and WiMax offerings 4G in advertisements. Verizon has started promoting its LTE service as a 4G connection. While AT&T is the only one of the four major U.S. operators not to promote a 4G pipeline, the carrier did dispute T-Mobile's claim of owning the largest 4G network in America, as we reported. And Sprint even said that it had the only real 4G network in the U.S.

ITU says LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ are now officially 4G

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    So pumped someone else actually knows what they are talking about. Thank you. This 4G **** drives me nuts.

4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <--- THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF REAL 4G!!!
    Thank you, from your link we have:

On December 6, 2010, ITU announced that current versions of LTE, WiMax and other evolved 3G technologies that do not fulfill "IMT-Advanced" requirements could be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed."[7]
    Thus, we now know that LTE, WiMax, and HSPA+ are all *REAL* 4G.

Anyone that says otherwise is simply using outdated information and hasn't kept up with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima133 View Post
    I agree whole heartedly. And this is probably why apple WILL NOT go through with it. Plus from what i've read and been told by IT friends of mine, 4G speeds range 20Mbs+ to almost 50Mbs. 14Mbs is hardly that. Therefore, should not be marketed as such.
    Even more really! We have 4G here in Australia and have seen with my own eyes speed tests of 88Mbs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123