+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhone 4S - *Will Be GSM Only*

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Correct, no possible way to downgrade. A jailbreak is in the works already for it once it comes out though. So hopefully we won't have to wait too long for
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

Correct, no possible way to downgrade. A jailbreak is in the works already for it once it comes out though. So hopefully we won't have to wait too long for a untethered one.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Obaid03 View Post
    So that means no way to downgrade. As it will be originally be ported in iOS 5?
    But that means will have to wait some time for iOS unteth jailbreak, and especially all those apps with iOS 5 compatibility.....
    It won't be too complicated. From experience, every app I've downloaded works with iOS 5 beta. That being said, the final release will work well too. If we take a look back at when the iPhone 4 first came out, it shipped with iOS 4 and there was no way to downgrade to any of the 3.x firmwares. Most apps ran on iOS 4 just fine. The biggest problem was that numerous apps weren't ready for the retina display. Well, now we still have the 3.5 inch retina display so app rendering should be perfect. Many apps will be compatible with iOS 5, like I said none of mine don't work on iOS 5. I think you will be pleased with it. The untethered jailbreak should be out shortly - Comex left behind an untethered jailbreak for the A5 processor on the iPad 2. The iPhone 4S runs the A5 as well. Now I leave it the the Jailbreak Devs to crack open the secrets of iOS 5 (which they have been working on ever since the beta came out).

What's Jailbreak? sik2mystomach's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sik2mystomach View Post
    Sooo that pic that popped up a few months back of the n94 (4s) running on tmobile 3g was fake?
    Can someone answer my question?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Comex left behind an untethered jailbreak for the A5 processor on the iPad 2. The iPhone 4S runs the A5 as well. Now I leave it the the Jailbreak Devs to crack open the secrets of iOS 5 (which they have been working on ever since the beta came out).
    Comex' JB won't work. Stefan Esser has stated that all exploits for an untether are blocked.

Posix and iOPK said they have a JB which uses 5 different exploits - it only takes for one to be patched and the whole thing goes belly up. If it all works then I believe they should hold off until the unlocked iPhone is released on (I believe) November 14th.

Many a slip 'twixt cup and lip.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Comex' JB won't work. Stefan Esser has stated that all exploits for an untether are blocked.

Posix and iOPK said they have a JB which uses 5 different exploits - it only takes for one to be patched and the whole thing goes belly up. If it all works then I believe they should hold off until the unlocked iPhone is released on (I believe) November 14th.

Many a slip 'twixt cup and lip.
    I don't think I implied that Comex's jailbreak would work on the iPhone 4S. If it was misconstrued I apologize.

To clarify on what I meant, it showed that there is a way to get through the A5's security. I am hoping that current Dev teams will use this knowledge to develop A5 jailbreaks for the future. The PDF exploit is not a vulnerability in iOS 5 - so that website will fail to jailbreak any device running iOS 5. Redsn0w will probably be the tool that we will use when trying to untether our iOS 5 device. The iPhone Dev Team seems to be the one's working hardest on developing some kind of untether for the new system.

Cheers.

Thanks

It's actually the Chronic Dev Team that will probably come out with an iOS5 untethered jailbreak first. Whether they incorporate it into greenpoison or some other tool will remain to be seen though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    It's actually the Chronic Dev Team that will probably come out with an iOS5 untethered jailbreak first. Whether they incorporate it into greenpoison or some other tool will remain to be seen though.
    What have I missed about the Chronic Dev Team? I haven't heard much out of them.

Thanks

Chronic have stated publicly that they have a JB - I hope they are right.

Comex could do things no one else could - he was good.
    So was GeoHot.
    iOn1c found untethers.

Who's next?

We still have the Dev Team and Chronic Dev Team - I have the greatest respect for all and sometimes it annoys me when people slang them off.

I hope I took some of the flac off them for a little while - but they are far better people than me.

So many people are so ignorant and actually believe others can do what they do.

They are wrong.

Although I have been called a 'moron' on here I can actually hold my own with most - the only exception was GeoHot who thinks on a different level - if I held him back for 2 days it really made a difference. Two more and I believe he would have solved the race condition.

I have never actually done anything - but it never ceases to surprise me how many of these people actually take the time to listen to me and answer when I ask them questions.

I would like to say that people who criticise others really should understand that their criticisms hurt - but those that do don't read.

MN was hurt recently - but I think it was because he thought it was people that should know better. Their apology was appreciated.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Question: if I buy the unlocked one and run it on tmobile in the US (I know only on EDGE) can a switch to ATT and use the unlocked one on 3G? Or do i have to buy a locked one and unlock it.

I plan on switching to ATT when my contract is over (1 1/2 years)

Thanks

You can switch over to ATT no problem with the unlocked one

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

ami2510 (10-09-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank you Simon!

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123