+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhone 4S - *Will Be GSM Only*

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Simon Not sure I understand how that works. So say you go to the UK and get a sim from O2. It would still be roaming with
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Not sure I understand how that works. So say you go to the UK and get a sim from O2. It would still be roaming with Sprint?
    The way that the iPhone 4S works is, if you are on a CDMA carrier, when you go out of range of CDMA signal, it will pick up a GSM signal if you have data roaming set to 'on.' From my knowledge, it is still cloudy as to whether or not you will need a SIM to do that - since the billing and communications all goes through your CDMA carrier in the long run.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

Makes sense for it to be able to roam on gsm carrier networks. Doesnt make sense to have to get a sim from one of them to do it.

It will probably be a case of getting a sim from Sprint themselves that allows the roaming on gsm carriers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Makes sense for it to be able to roam on gsm carrier networks. Doesnt make sense to have to get a sim from one of them to do it.

It will probably be a case of getting a sim from Sprint themselves that allows the roaming on gsm carriers.
    It's pretty hard to answer. If they found a way to make it work without a SIM at all then that would be breakthrough. So far all phones need a SIM to connect to GSM based networks, but they did mention that it would be able to automatically switch to GSM coverage if you were out of range of CDMA. My assertion there is that since it is automatic, it shouldn't need a SIM. Maybe if you get a Sprint or Verizon iPhone 4S, you should check the SIM slot. I'm interested too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok, sorry for my noob question, but I was aware that I can only use EDGE on an unlocked IPhone (because tmobiles 3G/4G is on a different frequency). But I wonder if in 1 year when my contract is over and want to switch to ATT or Verizon or what now, will I be able to use the 3G or 4G on my unlocked iphone 4s?

All this babidibub is confusing me, is the unlocked 4s, just the same device with GSM and EDGE enabled for all carriers, but still has the 3G 4G on ATT and the frequencies that it supports (just not tmobile).

Right?

I was able to use my jailbroken and unlocked ex-ATT 3GS on tmobile in Germany on 3G because they had the same requency just like ATT...

So whats the deal.

Thanks

So could I get my AT&T phone like I ordered today and go down to Verizon and start an account and activate that phone? Have two diff numbers going to one phone?

This would eliminate the fact that I have to carry 2 phones. Work and personal... Would love that!
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turnamental View Post
    So could I get my AT&T phone like I ordered today and go down to Verizon and start an account and activate that phone? Have two diff numbers going to one phone?

This would eliminate the fact that I have to carry 2 phones. Work and personal... Would love that!
    That you could not do. But you can use the App Textfree with voice to get a second line on your iPhone absolutely free. Check it out, I use it sometimes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, I read nowhere about the unlocked 4S not working on CDMA...I read the 4 would not work which is correct because the gsm & CDMA versions are different phones. Apple will not make an unlocked 4S specifically for gsm...it will have CDMA capabilities. If you can choose sprint or verizon with the 4s then it is already unlocked for CDMA which almost all verizon phones are. Therefore I find it VERY hard to believe if you buy an unlocked 4s to use with AT&T & want to switch to sprint or verizon, you would have any problems. It will have an imei for gsm and esn for CDMA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brookz07 View Post
    Ok, I read nowhere about the unlocked 4S not working on CDMA...I read the 4 would not work which is correct because the gsm & CDMA versions are different phones. Apple will not make an unlocked 4S specifically for gsm...it will have CDMA capabilities. If you can choose sprint or verizon with the 4s then it is already unlocked for CDMA which almost all verizon phones are. Therefore I find it VERY hard to believe if you buy an unlocked 4s to use with AT&T & want to switch to sprint or verizon, you would have any problems. It will have an imei for gsm and esn for CDMA.
    You won't have any problems at all whatsoever changing from a GSM carrier to a CDMA carrier on the iPhone 4S. The only thing is, you will need to sign a new contract for each CDMA switch you make. However, with the GSM carriers, if you have the SIM card you can swap them out as you please without signing any new contracts.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (10-07-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Why would you need an unlocked CDMA chip?
    CDMA is where? Only the U.S. and China, and you still have GSM networks to fall back on.
    I know there's still CDMA networks in Canada (Bell and Telus 2G), South Korea (KT) and Japan (KDDI). I think Airtel of India may run a CDMA network as well... it's very much a dying, limited technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    Hold up, does this mean I can use it on Mobilicity (AWS 1700/2100) frequencies?
    Nope, don't think so. The phone is only 850-900-1800-1900-2100 (GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA+) AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    You won't have any problems at all whatsoever changing from a GSM carrier to a CDMA carrier on the iPhone 4S. The only thing is, you will need to sign a new contract for each CDMA switch you make. However, with the GSM carriers, if you have the SIM card you can swap them out as you please without signing any new contracts.
    I strongly doubt that. Both Verizon and Sprint are EXTREMELY picky about what MEIDs are allowed on their network, when they're allowed on their network, and the conditions of their admittance to the network. I'm suspicious that the only way an iPhone MEID is allowed on their network is when a customer signs a two-year agreement or purchases the phone as a replacement (and is already under contract).

From a technical standpoint, you're absolutely correct. From a practical (and software as well, I imagine) standpoint, it's nigh impossible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I'm suspicious that the only way an iPhone MEID is allowed on their network is when a customer signs a two-year agreement or purchases the phone as a replacement (and is already under contract).

From a technical standpoint, you're absolutely correct. From a practical (and software as well, I imagine) standpoint, it's nigh impossible.
    The reason for this is because it's unlocked on the GSM side and you can switch at your leisure; granted you have the respectful SIM cards. To switch a CDMA carrier on the iPhone 4S (since it's not unlocked on the CDMA side), you need to go to the carrier directly. CDMA carriers need to reprogram the CDMA chips for your phone to work. No carrier will let you walk in their door and give you service without a contract. I hope this makes more sense.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (10-07-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

I know there's still CDMA networks in Canada (Bell and Telus 2G), South Korea (KT) and Japan (KDDI). I think Airtel of India may run a CDMA network as well... it's very much a dying, limited technology.

Nope, don't think so. The phone is only 850-900-1800-1900-2100 (GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA+) AFAIK.

I strongly doubt that. Both Verizon and Sprint are EXTREMELY picky about what MEIDs are allowed on their network, when they're allowed on their network, and the conditions of their admittance to the network. I'm suspicious that the only way an iPhone MEID is allowed on their network is when a customer signs a two-year agreement or purchases the phone as a replacement (and is already under contract).

The gsm side is unlocked, the cdma isn't. So you can switch the gsm carrier yourself but to get cdma service from another company they personally have to reactivate it.

Thanks

The reason for this is because it's unlocked on the GSM side and you can switch at your leisure; granted you have the respectful SIM cards. To switch a CDMA carrier on the iPhone 4S (since it's not unlocked on the CDMA side), you need to go to the carrier directly. CDMA carriers need to reprogram the CDMA chips for your phone to work. No carrier will let you walk in their door and give you service without a contract. I hope this makes more sense.
    Oh sure it does. Though I'm betting CommCenter is handling APN selection and IMSI on the iPhone (as opposed to carrier-specific hardware/firmware per device), and only has to be edited accordingly via jailbreak or re-activation. The American CDMA carriers have never been big on letting devices cross networks, though (unlike their R-UIM counterparts). Unless the 4S uses a R-UIM (or CSIM etc.) in the States, in which case I'm floored and will take my lumps.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough: it's rather irrelevant if the CDMA side of the phone is unlocked in the US; the major CDMA networks use strict MEID whitelisting. An off-contract iPhone won't be allowed on Verizon or Sprint per their usual policy.
    Last edited by Orby; 10-07-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks

Oh sure it does. Though I'm betting CommCenter is handling APN selection and IMSI on the iPhone (as opposed to carrier-specific hardware/firmware per device), and only has to be edited accordingly via jailbreak or re-activation. The American CDMA carriers have never been big on letting devices cross networks, though (unlike their R-UIM counterparts). Unless the 4S uses a R-UIM (or CSIM etc.) in the States, in which case I'm floored and will take my lumps.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough: it's rather irrelevant if the CDMA side of the phone is unlocked in the US; the major CDMA networks use strict MEID whitelisting. An off-contract iPhone won't be allowed on Verizon or Sprint per their usual policy.
    I think I see where you're getting at - although the capability of the phone is still there which is what I was pointing out. Sure the carrier companies don't want you to and there probably will be catches somewhere.

Thanks

I think I see where you're getting at - although the capability of the phone is still there which is what I was pointing out. Sure the carrier companies don't want you to and there probably will be catches somewhere.
    There's our happy compromise.

Thanks

CDMA phones aren't locked
    Sample: you can flash the CDMA version of the iPhone to Metro-pcs , cricket or sprint , it will be the same with the 4[S] unlocked or not , what they mean is if you get the unlocked version you will be able to use it in the states or abroad with an unofficial GSM carrier such as SIMPLE MOBILE. 

Thanks

As great as America is, I'm happy I don't live there because the phone business sucks! The carriers are terrible and you just started getting unlocked iPhone in june
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

I have a very serious question.
    If i buy a 4S then it wud have an iOS 5,,
    But if i want to downgrade it to iOS 4.3.3 or 4.3.5 etc.? Will i be able to do that?
    If so then i sure will buy it..

Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Obaid03 View Post
    But if i want to downgrade it to iOS 4.3.3 or 4.3.5 etc.? Will i be able to do that?
    No. Those firmware files do not exist for iPhone 4S.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Obaid03 View Post
    Nope. The base iPhone firmware for the iPhone 4S will be iOS 5.0.

Thanks

Nope. The base iPhone firmware for the iPhone 4S will be iOS 5.0.
    So that means no way to downgrade. As it will be originally be ported in iOS 5?
    But that means will have to wait some time for iOS unteth jailbreak, and especially all those apps with iOS 5 compatibility.....