+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iPhone 4S Pre-order Adventure (Unlimited Data?)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Default The iPhone 4S Pre-order Adventure (Unlimited Data?)

Last night at midnight PST (3AM EST) there were a lot of people awake trying to pre-order an iPhone 4S. Luckily for all of us who simply hate sleep, the pre-orders through Apple and AT&T didn't really start working at all until a little after 4AM EST. Users who wanted Verizon were able to pre-order theirs even before 3AM EST as the Verizon site went live. The Apple store site had shut down with it's now-famous "We'll Be Back Soon" around 1AM EST and stayed that way til 3:30, when it flickered in and out of working until just past 4.

We were finally able to pre-order our iPhones around 4:15 EST, through the AT&T website at iPhone 4S at AT&T. Some users reported luck with the Apple Store app, although we were unable to get through the actual checkout process. AT&T actually sent me a couple emails for two of my personal orders saying AMEX had not approved the transaction - turns out I was having to refresh so much, and so many people were apparently doing the same thing, AMEX thought it may be fraudulent. So that was a nice 45 minute phone call this morning to get ahold of AT&T to tell them to rerun it.

The unlimited data plan on AT&T is now gone, replaced with a 200MB for $15/mo, 2GB for $25/mo, or a 4GB plan for $45 which also includes access to AT&T's nationwide WiFi network. There was some confusion for users with the grandfathered unlimited plan, as the upgrade process actually has one screen which REMOVES it, and then re-adds it on the next screen (assumedly AT&T has changed their code for it - confusing process though). Our AT&T source confirms there is definitely still an unlimited plan for grandfathered users. If you don't see it on your account, you can call AT&T (might not want to do that today though, ha) and ask for the DATA PLAN UNL 4S plan, which is still $30/mo. They can give this to you if you upgrade to the 4S from any smartphone that you already grandfathered the unlimited data plan with (incl iPhones).

There was no option this year to "reserve" an iPhone at your local Apple store for pickup, only to have iPhones shipped. Guess the line will be all one line this year instead of the pre-order and non-pre-order lines Apple had last year for the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Interestingly, when I initially tried my pre-order through the Apple Store app last night, I received an email from Apple saying:

Dear Apple Customer,
    Your iPhone has been reserved and your reservation number is: XXXXXXXXXXXX

We will email you at this address (XXXXXXXXXXXX) when itís time to complete your order. At that time, you will return to the Apple Store to confirm pricing and plan selection.

You may check the status of your reservation at any time by visiting buyiphone.apple.com/status

Thank you,
    The Apple Store Team
    although I had never completed the order. A few users on Twitter reported the same thing. However, checking my reservation number this morning at the URL they provided simply returns "Reservation Not Found We are unable to find your reservation."

How was your pre-order adventure?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone VerizonIphone4_help's Avatar
    Thanks

Well i guess if verizon can't give us faster download speed on the 4S at least they let us get some extra shut eye this morning!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I got the "reserved, come back later to complete" email from Apple as well, and got an email to go back to complete it less than an hour later. However, I waited until ~8am to complete the checkout process since the servers were still timing out at 3:30am CT. When going through the checkout process, I had no problems keeping my grandfathered unlimited data plan. It was clearly marked and already selected for me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

My pre-order was met with the harsh reality that I'm actually NOT eligible for pre-order like I thought I was. Instead, I have to wait until 3/12, which means I may as well wait for the "i5". Sadly, this is what I get for pre-ordering my i4 thinking that it would mean I could get the next iPhone on release day at the upgrade price. I had absolutely no idea AT&T changed their 12mth upgrade policy to 20mths. I waited on hold for 45mins before finally hanging up (I'm at work) and said screw it. I have an i4 and that's good enough for me. They just lost $400 since I wanted the 64GB model. Oh well. Anyone else get screwed over like this?

Thanks
    Did my iPhone 4s Black 32 GB preorder via the Apple Store app on my 3Gs at 8:00 am this morning and received my confirmation email at 8:50. No issues to report! Patiently waiting for 10/14!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I got my order in on AT&T site at around 4:13... confirmation email at 4:21am....The phone isn't even for me, but my younger brother had school and called to ask me to do it for him... I can barely keep my eyes open... gonna be a long work day.

He was also grandfathered in on unlimited and I was confused about it being removed at one point, but in the end it showed up as unlimited for $30.

I tried multiple times on apple site and couldn't get it done. Also paid with amex and had no issue even though I was refreshing in 3 browsers with a few tabs trying to get it to go through.
    Last edited by kadernal; 10-07-2011 at 09:47 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

It was horrible. I don't understand why this happens every product pre-order. I kept hitting the refresh button on apples site until it became active. I received an error after putting in my cell # and other information saying it could not process my order and try back later. I also tried the apple store app and got up until I could press the check out button and it gave me a problem and told me to try again as well. I then went to the AT&T site and it went straight through without a problem. Apple really needs to get their act together when it comes to this. It seems they never learn from the previous product release.

Thanks

I'll pass

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
    My pre-order was met with the harsh reality that I'm actually NOT eligible for pre-order like I thought I was. Instead, I have to wait until 3/12, which means I may as well wait for the "i5". Sadly, this is what I get for pre-ordering my i4 thinking that it would mean I could get the next iPhone on release day at the upgrade price. I had absolutely no idea AT&T changed their 12mth upgrade policy to 20mths. I waited on hold for 45mins before finally hanging up (I'm at work) and said screw it. I have an i4 and that's good enough for me. They just lost $400 since I wanted the 64GB model. Oh well. Anyone else get screwed over like this?
    I preordered the iP4 and still got the lowest upgrade price for my 4S. My wife preordered the iP4 at the same time and isn't eligible until ~2/12. I think you're eligible for upgrades faster based on how much your plan costs. I am primary so mine is eligible faster than hers, since hers is an add-a-line.

They didn't screw you, and they aren't out $400, since it costs AT&T more than that anyway (they have to buy them from Apple). They subsidize the cost to put you on contract, but they already have you on contract, so they'd gain nothing by letting you upgrade early... in fact, they'd lose money by selling you the $850 phone for $400.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I pre-ordered mine this morning. First tried through the ATT website and saw a message that my data plan needed to change so I went to the Apple website to see if it was any different there. I was able to pre-order there and add the $30 unlimited data plan so I went ahead and placed my order through Apple. Unfortunately, I can't update my ship-to address from the website for some reason???? I tried to do it online through the order status page, but that site is down. Then I tried calling Apple and just got a generic voice message that due to high call volume, they couldn't take my call at this time??? WTF?I have an online order number, but haven't received any email from Apple yet....

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    I preordered the iP4 and still got the lowest upgrade price for my 4S. My wife preordered the iP4 at the same time and isn't eligible until ~2/12. I think you're eligible for upgrades faster based on how much your plan costs. I am primary so mine is eligible faster than hers, since hers is an add-a-line.

They didn't screw you, and they aren't out $400, since it costs AT&T more than that anyway (they have to buy them from Apple). They subsidize the cost to put you on contract, but they already have you on contract, so they'd gain nothing by letting you upgrade early... in fact, they'd lose money by selling you the $850 phone for $400.
    850 is MSRP, not what AT&T paid for it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mommashouse View Post
    I pre-ordered mine this morning. First tried through the ATT website and saw a message that my data plan needed to change so I went to the Apple website to see if it was any different there. I was able to pre-order there and add the $30 unlimited data plan so I went ahead and placed my order through Apple. Unfortunately, I can't update my ship-to address from the website for some reason???? I tried to do it online through the order status page, but that site is down. Then I tried calling Apple and just got a generic voice message that due to high call volume, they couldn't take my call at this time??? WTF?I have an online order number, but haven't received any email from Apple yet....
    Same here....I recently moved and I updated my address on apple site two days ago to avoid this mess! I processed my order and my old shipping address show up and was unable to change it. I hope I can change this later today.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ash3s2012's Avatar
    Thanks

He was also grandfathered in on unlimited and I was confused about it being removed at one point, but in the end it showed up as unlimited for $30.

That's where I was confused too cuz it said that some futures might get remove  and that was the data unlimited for iPhone but at the end I still kept my unlimited data plan, I think lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ordred mine about 6am this morning on AT&T with no issues. It told me the unlimited data and my text package would change however the next screen gave me my choice of my Unlimited Data for 4S so of course I stuck with that. The only thing it didn't offer me was a text plan which I will take up with AT&T when the phone arrives. I liked my $4.99/200 msg plan which is now gone. It's either .10 a message or $20 a month unlimited. I plan on using iMessage since most people I text with are on iPhones anyway. I got a couple emails back from AT&T this morning the last of which says my order was processed and sent to the warehouse for shipment. Wouldn't that be great if they just shipped it early.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post

Gain nothing? Actually, they'd gain another 2 year contract of guaranteed payment. I'm eligible for upgrade in March and my contract expires in July. I understand your point, but mine is that by allowing me to upgrade after 12mths would make them money for another 2 years. By not allowing the upgrade with my contract expiration date being so close is like they're tempting me to look at other carriers. Sure, I stayed with AT&T for the iPhone, but now I have options.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ash3s2012's Avatar
    Thanks

But how come ppl are saying that couldn't upgrade because at$t changed its upgrade to 20 months instead of 12 months but how come my last upgrade was 14 moths ago ad yesterday was eligible for an upgrade?

Thanks

Unlocked iPhone 4S available in November

Summary: Pre-ordering an iPhone 4S just got more complicated with Apple quietly revealing pricing for an unlocked version for frequent flyers and contract-adverse.

16GB Unlocked = $649 32GB Unlocked = $749 64GB Unlocked = $849

Just as Apple began taking pre-orders for the iPhone 4S on its website this morning, some eagle-eyed visitors suddenly discovered they could order an unlocked version direct from Apple (just like the iPhone 4), rather sign a contract with either AT&T, Sprint or Verizon. This is a tidbit that Apple never announced at its “Let’s Talk iPhone” event earlier this week. But the convenience of not being tied to a carrier comes with some costs: the unlocked iPhone 4S won’t arrive till some time November and the unsubsidized price tags are quite steep — as much as $849 for the 64 GB version.

Although the iPhone 4S is already a world phone with both the GSM and CDMA antennae, for those who travel internationally on a regular basis, an unlocked GSM phone is the way to go as you won’t have to pay your U.S. carrier roaming charges when you are abroad, especially for data. With an unlocked iPhone 4S, all you have to do is buy a local micro-SIM card from a GSM carrier and swap out your American one while you’re traveling.

When you’re in America, the only downside to an unlocked iPhone 4S is that you won’t be able to take advantage of Sprint or Verizon’s unlimited plans or better cellular coverage (in certain areas) because the phone will only be compatible with GSM networks. In other words, you will be limited to AT&T or T-Mobile as your carrier. (A micro-SIM card will be included in the unlocked phone.) For T-Mobile customers who are peeved your carrier won’t be offering the iPhone 4S this year (if ever), you could grab an unlocked version and use it on T-Mobile’s network. Otherwise, the unlocked and subsidized iPhone 4Ses are essentially identical devices that offer the same functionality: iOS 5 and iCloud, Siri, dual-core A5 processor and an 8-megapixel camera.

I usually prefer unlocked devices as they give me the flexibility to use the same phone anywhere I go but at $649 for the 16 GB iPhone 4S, I would really have to love the phone (even when it becomes out-dated) to sink that much money into a single device. What about you? Will you go for the more palatable, subsidized price tag or buy your freedom from the get-go with an unlocked iPhone 4S?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kadernal View Post
    I got my order in on AT&T site at around 4:13... confirmation email at 4:21am....The phone isn't even for me, but my younger brother had school and called to ask me to do it for him... I can barely keep my eyes open... gonna be a long work day.

I tried multiple times on apple site and couldn't get it done. Also paid with amex and had no issue even though I was refreshing in 3 browsers with a few tabs trying to get it to go through.
    I'm having the same issue with it showing that my unlimited data plan will be removed. At what point did it show that it was still there? After you hit the checkout button? I'd hate to loose my unlimited plan due to some computer glitch.

Thanks
    I was up till 1:10 am PTime, finaly I keep using the app from my IPad , Iphone and my pc online all of them Give me "We'll Be Back Soon" until 12:34 Am PTime the App working and as well as online but it was a good 20 min try to finish all proccess and it ends with i got an error after I make the payment , retry and retry , when I checked my email I found :::: Order Acknowledgment and :: Order Number so it seems working even with an error message

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman11 View Post
    Ordred mine about 6am this morning on AT&T with no issues. It told me the unlimited data and my text package would change however the next screen gave me my choice of my Unlimited Data for 4S so of course I stuck with that. The only thing it didn't offer me was a text plan which I will take up with AT&T when the phone arrives. I liked my $4.99/200 msg plan which is now gone. It's either .10 a message or $20 a month unlimited. I plan on using iMessage since most people I text with are on iPhones anyway. I got a couple emails back from AT&T this morning the last of which says my order was processed and sent to the warehouse for shipment. Wouldn't that be great if they just shipped it early.
    Jayman at what point did you get the option to select Unlimited Data for 4S, after checkout?