Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: The iPhone 4S Pre-order Adventure (Unlimited Data?)

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
    My pre-order was met with the harsh reality that I'm actually NOT eligible for pre-order like I thought I was. Instead, I have to wait until 3/12, which means I may as well wait for the "i5". Sadly, this is what I get for pre-ordering my i4 thinking that it would mean I could get the next iPhone on release day at the upgrade price. I had absolutely no idea AT&T changed their 12mth upgrade policy to 20mths. I waited on hold for 45mins before finally hanging up (I'm at work) and said screw it. I have an i4 and that's good enough for me. They just lost $400 since I wanted the 64GB model. Oh well. Anyone else get screwed over like this?
    What are you talking about you got screwed? You signed a contract that states 2 years, they let you upgrade early as a nice gesture. I get yearly upgrades because I spend $175 a month on my 2 iPhones but they are in no way obligated to let you upgrade early. Don't like the rules then pay full price for your phone, easy solution to your "they screwed me" problem.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Actually, AT&T pays close to that. Nobody knows the exact amount, but Apple has no reason to mark it down much (the carriers are falling all over themselves trying to buy them from Apple).

    Just look at the purported $20 billion Spirit paid to get the iPhone. That was for 30 million iPhones over four years. That equals out to $667 per iPhone on average (of varied capacities of course, MSRP ranges between $550 and $850)... and they had to agree to buy 30 million to get that price! They only have 27 million subscribers!
    How do you know what each carrier is paying? I can see the the Math on Sprint(but remember that is just 7.5million per year. You realize each people will upgrade on Sprint like on othere carriers. Worth the risk to get the iPhone)

    BTW, it makes sense for ATT to allow early upgrades on the primary acct. it keeps me locked in for 2 more years. I pay about $220/mo with tax for 3 phones and in my case I never use all the minutes I pay for. But our usage varies and I can lower the minutes.

    each year they get about $2K from me. Even with 3 subsized phones they are doing well.
    Last edited by nealh; 10-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.

  3. #43
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE Mississippi
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    How do you know what each carrier is paying? I can see the the Math on Sprint(but remember that is just 7.5million per year. You realize each people will upgrade on Sprint like on othere carriers. Worth the risk to get the iPhone)

    BTW, it makes sense for ATT to allow early upgrades on the primary acct. it keeps me locked in for 2 more years. I pay about $220/mo with tax for 3 phones and in my case I never use all the minutes I pay for. But our usage varies and I can lower the minutes.

    each year they get about $2K from me. Even with 3 subsized phones they are doing well.
    We don't know what carriers are paying- my point was that Apple charges them plenty for the iPhone... they aren't getting a huge discount, and the only reason you get it cheaply is because the carrier paid for most of it for you. And yes, it might be worth the risk for Sprint, but Wall Street is killing Sprint for the decision, because it just ate away their cash flow... Sprint may have to scale back or put off it's 4G network because of it.

    And I agree with you- I enjoy getting frequent early upgrades (as the primary account holder of a family plan). They couldn't allow all 3 lines to get yearly upgrades, of course- that would be $1300/yr in subsidized phones. If they're only getting $2k a year from you, they are probably losing money (considering the cost for them to provide you with service).

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickaroni22 View Post
    I got through around 3:40am in the Apple Store, got everything ordered. Everything went through, I got billed on my cc, and my upgrade has been used. BUT my reservation is not found when I checked it a few moments ago, hopefully this is just a issue with Apple a bit behind because of the surge of online purchasing.
    I finally got my "reservation" around 5am. Got the email today with reservation number, clicked on link and choose unlimited data plan. Went to check out and I too got stuck on "Processing Payment" screen for 45 minutes. I finally gave up and let it time out. Tried the link again and also said my upgrade had been used and must pay full price. My CC company said was not billed, called AT&T and they showed upgrade but said no phone was processed, transferred me to Apple who said the phone wasn't purchased and not eligible for upgrade. Ended up going to 2 apple stores, AT&T store, and on phone today with AT&T/Apple for just under three hours as no one could figure out if it was processed. Finally gave up and couple hours later received confirmation email the phone was ordered, called CC and charge was posted. Total cluster f***. As much as I appreciate apple products this is getting really old.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    What are you talking about you got screwed? You signed a contract that states 2 years, they let you upgrade early as a nice gesture. I get yearly upgrades because I spend $175 a month on my 2 iPhones but they are in no way obligated to let you upgrade early. Don't like the rules then pay full price for your phone, easy solution to your "they screwed me" problem.
    My bill is bigger than yours, and I always got yearly upgrades. I just checked and my dates are changed 7 months later. Yours most likely is too.

    I didn't get screwed, but it sucks. I wasn't going to get the phone, but it sucks that the option isn't there when one comes out that I want.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    We don't know what carriers are paying- my point was that Apple charges them plenty for the iPhone... they aren't getting a huge discount, and the only reason you get it cheaply is because the carrier paid for most of it for you. And yes, it might be worth the risk for Sprint, but Wall Street is killing Sprint for the decision, because it just ate away their cash flow... Sprint may have to scale back or put off it's 4G network because of it.

    And I agree with you- I enjoy getting frequent early upgrades (as the primary account holder of a family plan). They couldn't allow all 3 lines to get yearly upgrades, of course- that would be $1300/yr in subsidized phones. If they're only getting $2k a year from you, they are probably losing money (considering the cost for them to provide you with service).
    No I see no way they are losing money. I pay for minutes we never use, we are probably paying more the unlimited family txt than if we paid for each txt alone. I did this upgrade because the son started txt beyond the 200 we paid for. But his txt numbers are more sporadic and I rather pay a little extra not to worry for a big overage and it keeps him out of trouble. We are perfect customers, we never use much data...my wife and son never even use the 250 mg we pay. Since I had my iPhone on unlimited only once did I use 1.3GB of data. Most of time its 500mg.

    Boy when I look at it I am being really stupid with my bill.

    I guarantee if they were losing money on me I would get no early upgrades.

    For me, ATT in TAmpa, FL is really good service. we have one bad area where calls drop on the iPhone and my wife's BB. I have found there CS to be superior to Verizon, my last carrier. I used sprint about 5yrs ago, so I have no idea on there service. But I had no interest going back to Verizon for wireless.(FiOS is different of course..CS is still ugh though).

    I realize different locations seem to have different issues and experiences. So now the nice thing is you get real good choice. I just would not want to lose surf and talk, that sure is handy when you need it.

  7. #47
    I pre ordered through AT&T at about 6am yesterday, my order status when I check online says processing and under the product says backordered. But when I pre ordered it said it would be to me on the 14th. Anyone else notice this? Just wondering if I'm gonna get it on the 14th or not.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    I pre ordered through AT&T at about 6am yesterday, my order status when I check online says processing and under the product says backordered. But when I pre ordered it said it would be to me on the 14th. Anyone else notice this? Just wondering if I'm gonna get it on the 14th or not.
    If I recall this is exactly like last year. I have the same thing on my order. I ordered around 5:30 am.

    I see no issues with this. I would expect an order that cant be shipped yet as back-order. In fact last year this page did not update till have I received a tracking number and my iPhone4 was in transit.

    there are no worries here. You are fine.
    Last edited by nealh; 10-08-2011 at 01:50 PM.

  9. #49
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    It's the same complaints every single year. A TWO year contract is signed and you expect the carrier to give you an upgrade after ONE year. Go back to kindergarten and learn how to add. Then go back to elementary school and learn how to read [your contract].

  10. #50
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE Mississippi
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    No I see no way they are losing money.
    One early upgrade a year, no, they are not losing money on you, and I think it's an excellent policy to have (to reward/retain those of us with big bills). I was referring to if they gave all the phones on a family plan the same early upgrade... especially if there were 5 lines.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    One early upgrade a year, no, they are not losing money on you, and I think it's an excellent policy to have (to reward/retain those of us with big bills). I was referring to if they gave all the phones on a family plan the same early upgrade... especially if there were 5 lines.
    Gotcha. It's too bad they do not allow more early upgrades but I understand the cost to them. They are smart, they keep you hooked and extending the contract. So long as the service is good I will stay.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •