+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android Gains Further Lead Over Apple In U.S SmartPhone Marketshare

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to research firm comScore and their latest released figures Android seems to have extended their lead of the smartphone platform market with a 43.7% share, along with Apple following
    Thanks

Default Android Gains Further Lead Over Apple In U.S SmartPhone Marketshare

According to research firm comScore and their latest released figures Android seems to have extended their lead of the smartphone platform market with a 43.7% share, along with Apple following behind with a 27.3% share. It seems that Google’s Android is seeing a steady upward climb with a point change of 5.6 while Apple’s iPhone seems to be slowing a bit with a smaller more incremental point change of 0.7 since the last report.

Despite the small incremental point change, Apple seems to be widening its gap between the RIM which is and has been steadily declining for quite some time now as more previous RIM customers convert to Android. Microsoft and Symbian also continue to decline in the reports although the report only extends until August 2011, so the Windows Phone Mango (WP7.5) has yet to be accounted for.

This report obviously doesn’t include statistics on or around Apple’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” event so I would imagine that the next set of released figures from comScore would reflect a much larger change for Apple due to the release of the 8GB iPhone 4 (aimed to target at the low-end market), the announcement and soon to be release of the iPhone 4S, and the availability of the iPhone 4 and 4S on Sprint.

When it comes to smartphone manufacturers, it seems that Samsung and Apple are the only two which are seeing growth while the rest are declining. Both companies also seem to be amidst a vicious legal battle with one another. Another thing to take note of is that Samsung manufactures the device but runs on Google’s Android OS whereas Apple not only manufactures the iPhone but also runs it on its own iOS platform. If Apple was on top, it would seem more of a monopoly than anything else.

What do you think of the statistics? Were you at all surprised when looking at the statistics? Let us know your interpretation and share thoughts in the comments below!

Source: comScore
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 10-06-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Being surprised that Androids Market share is bigger than iOS is simply stupid.

It'd be like being surprised that Windows has a bigger share than Mac OS X.

It's not something iOS will ever be able to be the winner at.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont care about having the OS that the "masses" have. I just want the best OS. And thats iOS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

When you see an iPhone, you know what a person is holding. Just because someone has Droid's OS doesn't mean it's not running on a potato chip with 3 1/2 MB RAM.

Thanks

Why is windows so low? I love windows 7 it's smooth & sexy! Mango will make it even better. But I've had only one phone in my life & that's the iPhone I have had all of em except 4s! I'd rather have a windows then android any day!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Isn't the Windows Phone severely crippled in terms of features?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post

You are implying that somebody here is surprised with this statement. I see no indication of surprise from the writer.

I for one am surprised at how badly MS and Symbian are trailing.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    I dont care about having the OS that the "masses" have. I just want the best OS. And thats iOS.
    You got that right

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Apple is still laughing all the way to the bank.... they have a 27.3% market share... but a 66% PROFIT share of the market. Who cares how many people have your OS if someone else is taking home all the $. Apple hoards 2/3 of all the profit in the whole market with 2 Phones (now 3 phones). Android has HUNDREDS of phones and takes home a tiny slice of the pie that they also share with Windows Mobile, RIM and Symbian. http://www.asymco.com/2011/07/29/apple-captured-two-thirds-of-available-mobile-phone-profits-in-q2/

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    You are implying that somebody here is surprised with this statement. I see no indication of surprise from the writer.

I for one am surprised at how badly MS and Symbian are trailing.
    End of the article asks if the stats surprise you. I'm not implying the writer is stupid.

Thanks

Let's remember the most obvious thing here...android has a ridiculous number of phones that operate that system... apple and it's iOS has one...the iPhone. So the stats don't lie...but they don't at all reflect the real story.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

End of the article asks if the stats surprise you. I'm not implying the writer is stupid.
    Yes, implying that any of the statistics may be surprising, as in the example I gave - I am surprised to see windows so low on the list. Nowhere is it stated or implied that it should be surprising that Android has overtaken iOS...

Quote Originally Posted by swinger360 View Post
    Let's remember the most obvious thing here...android has a ridiculous number of phones that operate that system... apple and it's iOS has one...the iPhone. So the stats don't lie...but they don't at all reflect the real story.
    There are currently two, soon to be three models of iPhone out there. Still dwarfed by the number of android devices, but three certainly is more than one. Just saying.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-06-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

no ****, Android is an open-spource OS and can be put on any phone. iOS is made for 1 phone, the iphone. To have a 27% stake with just one phone is astonishing compared to Android who has it's figures based on close to a hundred different phones.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Apple is still laughing all the way to the bank.... they have a 27.3% market share... but a 66% PROFIT share of the market. Who cares how many people have your OS if someone else is taking home all the $. Apple hoards 2/3 of all the profit in the whole market with 2 Phones (now 3 phones). Android has HUNDREDS of phones and takes home a tiny slice of the pie that they also share with Windows Mobile, RIM and Symbian. http://www.asymco.com/2011/07/29/apple-captured-two-thirds-of-available-mobile-phone-profits-in-q2/
    My thoughts exactly.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I would like to see market share based on hardware manufacturers rather than software. Apple vs Samsung vs HTC vs Motorola vs Nokia... Etc. THAT would be a much more relevant survey IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hmmm those numbers are a bit fishy. Has anyone added up the percentages yet because none of them add up to 100 and the % change doesn't add up right either. (the % lost between the other OSes should equal the % gain for android and iOS).

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    no ****, Android is an open-spource OS and can be put on any phone. iOS is made for 1 phone, the iphone. To have a 27% stake with just one phone is astonishing compared to Android who has it's figures based on close to a hundred different phones.
    Android OS is no more open-sourced than iOS. Both are still just as proprietary in their base development. Android OS is not designed for just any phone. There are even "jailbreaking" resources Android OS. However, I can see Android OS being more refined in the next couple of years. The Market share is negligible. Android OS has too many device implementations and has done all this in a short period of time. While good for diversity, bad for longterm market progress.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swinger360 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better. Nothing to be impressed with. 5 - 10 new phones coming out monthly by a bunch of different companies and they all look, feel and function differently VS 1 phone / ipad that comes out each year.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

What is amazing is the percentage of the Apl market share. The stats do not show or even factor in any type of "per capital" if you will. One should keep in mind that APPLE is competing with one manufacture line of phone the iPhone. While the others have all other major competitors that develop models for their OS. Perhaps the best stat would be to compare each phone model and not OS. These numbers mean to me that APL's IOS device is pretty damn solid and if it ever did lead the market than that would mean a big fail to it's competitors.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I would like to see market share based on hardware manufacturers rather than software. Apple vs Samsung vs HTC vs Motorola vs Nokia... Etc. THAT would be a much more relevant survey IMO.
    This is what I would like to see as well.
    Google isn't looking to corner the market with one phone. They are after the ad revenue that is generated by the millions of phones that run Android. Two different companies with two different tactics. Both of which are working very well for them.