Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Siri: "Our Assistant App Will Stop Working on your A4 Devices After Oct. 15."

Default Siri: "Our Assistant App Will Stop Working on your A4 Devices After Oct. 15."

The Siri Assistant App that could be downloaded for free from the App Store, was recently pulled by Apple.

Siri is now warning us that by October 15th, we will no longer be able to Access the features of Siri Assistant on the application that we downloaded from the App Store before it was pulled. This is probably due to Apple striking a deal with Siri to make the iPhone 4S look more appealing. The app used to be a free download from the App Store and it contained most of the features that will be included in the iPhone 4S integrated Siri counterpart. Many users of the app have been gloating that they will have Siri on their iPhone 4 due to this app, but now, the gloating just might stop.

Users of the free Siri Assistant app from the App Store will get a message, Ive been replaced! The new Siri is even smarter and better-looking than me, and waiting for you on the iPhone 4S. Ill be leaving for home Oct. 15th. This indicates that the application will stop offering Siri functionality by the time the iPhone 4S is launched.

Siri offers numerous features that make Dragon Dictation look like an infant. Siri can not only recognize what you're saying but also understand and process it to come up with an adequate answer to you. It performs voice searches based on what you ask to answer your questions accurately. The iPhone 4S version of Siri will have even more functionality than the free App Store counterpart. More on how Siri works, here.

For those who don't know, ih8sn0w and Gojohnnyboi are working on porting Siri to A4 devices like the iPod Touch 4G and iPhone 4. Currently, there is no news as to how that is coming because they are still unaware as to whether or not Siri depends on any special hardware to perform it's tasks and porting something as huge as Siri is no simple task. They plan on waiting for the release of the iPhone 4S to examine how Siri works more thoroughly to see if it's even possible, as covered in more detail here by Joshua Tucker. Screenshot of progress below:

Have you ever used the free Siri Assistant app from the App Store? How do you feel about Apple pulling it? Share below!

Sources: Macworld

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Lame. That is just a ploy to get us to buy the new iPhone 4S? Come on Apple and Siri!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I didn't know this was available until a friend showed it to me this morning. I couldn't stump Siri! Kudos to the lovely AI. I can't believe it's 4S only. I hope the port comes shortly after the 4S release.

so it clearly works on the i4 but they are holding out to make us buy their pathetic upgrade

Thanks

How very rude of apple.

I never even knew there was one.
    Last edited by mmaboi21; 10-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, that's lame. I didn't know it was available until this article. But now it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    so it clearly works on the i4 but they are holding out to make us buy their pathetic upgrade
    It's a very good upgrade. Dual core A5 Processor, 8MP Camera, and 1GB of Ram is what most of us expected out of them.

I think the thing people forget is how the 3GS was perceived when it came out, it's no way different this time. This phone will sell and break numbers, cuz it's apple. The only people who are going to stay resentful of this phone, is the dumb***'es like me who read evey rumor and got so hyped up in hopes that apple wasent going to 3GS us. We knew they where but we held out hope for a bigger screen. Thats all this comes down to we didn't get the bigger screen and were pissed about it. We me personally I have an upgrade for my wife's phone and she could care less about Siri, so I get her a 4 with tom-tom still spend 50 less and wait till next year. The point is this phone going to sell cuz to the people not paying any attention. This phone is twice as fast and it still pound for pound the best choice on the market for the average user. Rant end.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teban View Post
    IWe me personally I have an upgrade for my wife's phone and she could care less about Siri, so I get her a 4 with tom-tom still spend 50 less and wait till next year.
    I'm totally stealing my wife's upgrade and giving her my i4, too! She has a 3G, she'll be ecstatic anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    I'm totally stealing my wife's upgrade and giving her my i4, too! She has a 3G, she'll be ecstatic anyway.
    Lol you are a great husband! I'm totally messing with you(no offense)

Thanks

who cares, we can still google everything.

I could give a damn about Siri-I'd rather type out something especially what if Siri mistakes me for saying something else or if I'm in a crowded area? It would not be plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It's a very good upgrade. Dual core A5 Processor, 8MP Camera, and 1GB of Ram is what most of us expected out of them.
    In most of the articles and resources I've come across regarding i4S, I haven't seen anything regarding the RAM being at 1GB. Where did you get your information, if I can ask?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Lame. That is just a ploy to get us to buy the new iPhone 4S? Come on Apple and Siri!
    Likely less of a "ploy" and more about licensing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

The Siri app was awesome. I didn't use it much but it was fun to show off.You could say, "I'm drunk, get me home!" and it would list all of the local taxi cab's phone numbers. And in big cities it would even order the taxi to your current location.

Thanks

Some of the Apple practices don't stop to amuse me.Why can't company, that produces user-friendly, functional and aesthetically appealing devices be (competitor,developer)-friendly as well

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    How can an app just stop functioning if it doesn't connect to the internet? There has to be some kind of update that erases the app or something, but I don't think you can just disable an app OTA like that.

Quote Originally Posted by syedsufyan View Post
    How can an app just stop functioning if it doesn't connect to the internet? There has to be some kind of update that erases the app or something, but I don't think you can just disable an app OTA like that.
    It does use Siri servers. Initially, Siri cut off their servers completely but have now decided to let it go until October 15

F U . . U apple. And no,I'm not buying ur 4Sh.t. looking at galaxy s 2.

Who knows. Maybe Siri will get ported from the 4S to the 4? Then available as a jailbreak tweak? There must be some way of fooling Siri's servers into thinking your iPhone 4 has an A5 chip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast